Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

North Texas 30
Midd Tenn 21

Troy 49
Utah St 21

UTEP 45
New Mexico State 0

Mississippi 28
Arkansas State 21

Idaho 45
Eastern Mich 41

Wyoming 31
UL Monroe 10

UL Lafayette 43
FIU 34

Link to articles about the games. Read on:
http://football.sunbeltsports.org/x/article/3231
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

A few comments on the scores:

UNT - looks like they only play for conference games??

MTSU - :o they have showned so much promise,??

Troy - Bouncing back from a loss - looking tough.

FIU - too many man on the field penalty - I had a major flash back of our game against Colgate - They remind me of us and the growing pains we went through. This could become a very good team - should make for one hell of a game on Dec 4th.

ULL - I was impress with their play at QB, Babb - Balance offense, but sure can move the ball through the air.
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

Poor FIU… I was pulling for em and they put up a GREAT game.. Im glad I was able to watch it. To many men on the field… ouch, thats a killer…… Does anyone know the official attendence, sure doesent look like they are going to hit the 15,000 mark. I think there problem is the population of the school and area, (correct me if Im wrong), is mexican. I know FIU has bigger soccor following.. Thats just the impression I got when Ive gone to some of there soccer games. Again I could be wrong, and that was a few years ago, but that could be the problem here are the demographics
70 percent of student enrollment from minority groups: 51 percent Hispanic, 14 percent black, and 3.5 percent Asian. Approximately 10 percent of enrollment is comprised of international students
That explains the soccer following and not the football following…. I mean absolutly nothing racial….
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

Miami is far from being mostly Mexican. Do you live in Florida to even make that assesment? If you live here you'd at least have to know that we have many immigrants from all Latin American countries. If you had said Cubans, then yes that would be correct, there is a large Cuban population around our campus but there is mostly a mix of every latin country. That doesn't affect our attendance at all though. 10,000 isn't that bad for this game, it's about what was expected after everything that's been cancelled.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

I dont think that ethnic makeup has much to do with the attendance. If they win, people will come out. FIU does have a bigger problem than FAU in my opinion when it comes to location. UM casts a big shadow everywhere in South Florida, but they are right in their backyard. On a college football Sat., if there's a Hurricanes game on TV or in town, people will chose UM. I have some friends who are alumnus of FIU and have season tickets to UM. Three years is just too soon to change their loyalties I guess. However, FAU is far enough north that given a choice, a greater percentage would rather go to a game in Boca (once a stadium is built) than drive the 1.5 to Miami. Or at least that is the hope.

Maxx, I saw the attendance was just over 10,000 which is good. How accurate do you think that was? I saw the first quarter on TV and it didnt look anywhere near that. I realize that many people come into the games late after tailgating…did it fill up towards the end?
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

When I was at the stadium, I "guestimated" they would announce around 9,500, (counting the bands that were present, etc)..It may have been anywhere from 8k to the 10k announced, in my opinion. So, it is very possible they had some "creative" counting, but not outrageously exxagerated by any means….

The ethnic composition of South Florida, and Miami in particular has not much to do with attendance,….perhaps you are being too naive but, if not how could the Miami Hurricanes and the Dolphins average so much more than the needed 15k per game? It's the same population base. Winning and tradition is what is important to develop a loyal base in both our institutions.

I agree with Maxx, though, that while I would have loved to have at least 12-13 for this game, it is not that bad (not great either), considering the delays, our negative win-loss record history, and the fact this game was on TV.
If we average around 10k for the next 3 home games, then we would have to draw 35k for our "Orange Blossom Classic" game against FAMU at the Orange Bowl., to achieve the 15k average rule, that may or MAY NOT be in effect come August 2005. Not easy, but doable, in my opinion.
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

….. Winning and tradition is what is important to develop a loyal base in both our institutions. …..

I agree totally, for we have the same problem, except I must say you guys are in a better position, you have a stadium on campus, which is our biggest draw back.

The "Orange Blossom Classic" should help with the 15K averange, another advantage you have on us.

Unfortunately, we both don't have the luxury of time to built that fan base, so we must become creative to attract the fans - two different approaches, which hopefully will bring the same results.

Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

Gotta go with the winning tradition on this one too. It's very simple. Win and they will come. We still have our 1st game in front of us. If we go 5-0 will it keep the interest which was very high before the storms? If we come back 4-1 will that bring out the fans?

Another thread we also talked about seeing a lot of FSU and Gators T-shirts in Broward and Dade Counties! Those are winning programs.

We both(FAU and FIU) need to get these fans off their butts and to our games. The FSU,UF and UM fans will not waiver. We need to get the casual sports fans interested in our programs.
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

Miami is far from being mostly Mexican. Do you live in Florida to even make that assesment? If you live here you'd at least have to know that we have many immigrants from all Latin American countries.
Do I live in Florida? Of course…I have lived in florida for 22 years and Im a senior at FAU. As far as you saying mexican is not the majority of Miami, I never said that, I was implying your school… I pulled that stat right out of your web page http://www.fiu.edu/docs/facts_info_stats.htm (under student body) I do feel that that hurts your attendance… Did anyone hear about them trying to build a new stadium in 2 years.. 1 year for fundraising and planning and another year to build… why is FAU talking about building one by 2007… I think were slacking..lol
Back to the top

Sun Belt Scoreboard 10/2

Did anyone hear about them trying to build a new stadium in 2 years.. 1 year for fundraising and planning and another year to build… why is FAU talking about building one by 2007… I think were slacking..lol

Go to the corner of Glades and Federal Highway, tap on the window any Jag, Rolls,or Bentley and ask that question. Give them a second to put in their Miracle ear and they will answer it for you.. ;D
Just kidding. :D

I would guess that it's a little easier because FIU already have the on campus space available for the stadium. Also the amount of the Dome project vastly supersedes the cost of an open air stadium.
In addition to fundraising we need approval for sites, road projects, right of way purchases etc. That takes a long time. If you look harder at the time frame theirs is 2006. Ours is 2007. One year difference even with the major approval requests seems like a decent time frame.
Back to the top
Control functions: