Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Sentinel article. Open mike again.

My Take: If you don't believe that you can win every game then maybe you shouldn't be playing. My only concern is that these quotes will be misconstrued as a we "WILL" win every game, by the opponents. Coach knows how to answer the reporters.
Maybe a small Q&A class should be given to the players.
Thoughts?

With 4-0 start, Owls are thinking they can run the table

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted October 12 2004

Florida Atlantic entered the season with a primary goal of winning a mythical Sun Belt Conference title.

Something else the players talked about was a bit more audacious – going undefeated.

After opening the season 4-0, with all four games on the road and three against Division I-A opponents, that goal looks more attainable.

"We believe we can win them all," said wide receiver Larry Taylor.

The Sun Belt title would be mythical because FAU is in a transition year from Division I-AA to I-A and will not be an official member of the Sun Belt until next season.

Coach Howard Schnellenberger won't get caught up in talk about an undefeated season and instead discussed what he learned when he was an assistant under Don Shula when the Dolphins went 17-0 and won the Super Bowl in the 1972 season.

"He treated each opponent the same," Schnellenberger said. "We don't care who we are playing, the best team in America or the worst. The only thing that is important is how well prepared we are and how well we play."

FAU has eight more games, five at home, and is a realistic favorite in seven of those games.

Here's what's left for the Owls:

Saturday at Northern Colorado – The Bears are 1-5 and have lost five in a row. FAU beat the I-AA Northern Colorado last season when the Bears were 9-2, and the Owls will be expected to do it again.

Oct. 23 Louisiana-Monroe – The Indians, a I-A team on paper, are awful. Louisiana-Monroe was 1-11 last year and is 1-4 to start this season. FAU will be favored.

Oct. 30 at Florida A&M – FAMU (2-4) decided not to move up to I-A but played three I-A teams to start the season. The Rattlers could be tough at home.

Nov. 6 at Troy – Probably will be the only game in which FAU will be an underdog. Troy (3-2) beat Missouri and Marshall to open the season. Should be an interesting game between future Sun Belt foes and is the Trojans' homecoming game.

Nov. 13 New Mexico State – The Aggies are 2-4 but beat Troy, so go figure. Expect them to continue to struggle, so the Owls will be the favorite in their final game of the season against a I-A opponent.

Nov. 20 Illinois State – This is a makeup for the game postponed by Hurricane Jeanne. The Redbirds (3-2) are a solid I-AA team, but FAU beat them last year.

Nov. 27 Edward Waters – This is an embarrassing game from FAU's standpoint. Edward Waters (4-1) is an NAIA school that will be hopelessly overmatched.

Dec. 4 Florida International – The third annual Shula Bowl could be the best game of the year. FIU (2-1) is a year behind FAU in development but decided to join FAU and start the move to I-A this season. The Golden Panthers are off to a good start. FIU would like nothing better than to ruin the Owls' season if FAU comes into the game 11-0.

Ted Hutton can be reached at [email protected].

Back to the top

My Take: If you don't believe that you can win every game then maybe you shouldn't be playing. My only concern is that these quotes will be misconstrued as a we "WILL" win every game, by the opponents. Coach knows how to answer the reporters.
Maybe a small Q&A class should be given to the players.
Thoughts?

I will agree that you have to have the attitude that you can win every game, could be considered Cockyness, but it come down to believing in yourself & teamates.
Some people or teams for that matter display it differently, good or bad. Yet, having that attidute, you must also display poise.

I like this Quote from Coach and hopefully the players are listening:

Coach Howard Schnellenberger won't get caught up in talk about an undefeated season and instead discussed what he learned when he was an assistant under Don Shula when the Dolphins went 17-0 and won the Super Bowl in the 1972 season.

"He treated each opponent the same," Schnellenberger said. "We don't care who we are playing, the best team in America or the worst. The only thing that is important is how well prepared we are and how well we play."

They will have to start playing with some attidute, instead of talking about it.

Back to the top

I think that last week's close gema was just what the team needed. ( An ugly win-stay undefeated, but lit a fire under them)…especially after 3weeks off.

Here's a question, who has the best chance of staying undefeated in the state of FL….Miami or FAU???
Back to the top

Tough question. Without getting into the strength of schedule and all that other stuff. Just plain fans talking about the chances.

On paper, UM has 4 tough teams left. NCState,Clemson,Virginia and Va Tech.

On paper, FAU has 3 tough teams left.
Troy, New Mex State(they beat Troy) and FIU.

I would venture to say that we have the lesser number of teams who may beat us left on our schedule. How's that for riding the fence.. ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: