Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU-OK St almost done deal 2005!!!!

FAU-Okla. State in '05?

BY BOB EMANUEL JR.

[email protected]

Florida Atlantic has reached an oral agreement with Oklahoma State to play in the Owls' 2005 home opener.

OSU officials confirmed a contract should arrive in Boca Raton in the next few days to make the game official.

If the deal is finalized, FAU will open with a pair of Big 12 opponents. The Owls will open the 2005 season at Kansas on Sept. 3.

FAU has a tentative deal with Cincinnati for a three-game series, including a road contest in the third week of the 2005 season.

Additionally, FAU will play seven Sun Belt Conference games next season, including four in South Florida.

Nebraska has offered to play host to the Owls next year, but an agreement has not been met, FAU athletic director Craig Angelos said.

FAU opens the 2006 season at Kansas State. Other possible future opponents include South Carolina, Louisville and Miami, which has an opening in 2006.

FAU also has a tentative arrangement for a three-game series with Michigan State beginning in 2008 and continuing in 2010-11.
Back to the top

Another article. I say get it while we're hot.. ;D

Read On:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2004/10/21/a8c_fau_1021.html
Back to the top

The recruiting implications of this game are very important. As has been stated, both OSU and MSU really want to make a road trip to FAU. I think it has a great deal to do with recruiting. OSU usually gets their speed from the state of Texas. With a game in south Florida they can also tap into the Florida recruiting pool. If they believe that they can dominate FAU and come up with a big win, it might help them to lure some recruits to Stillwater. In a similar vein, MSU will be using a game at FAU as a recruiting tool. MSU has a long tradition of recruiting skill players from Florida but in the past few years their team has dropped off a bit. I don't know how much this has to do with the possibility of losing Florida talent to upstart programs such as UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU but it wouldn't hurt for them to get some exposure back in south Florida. Any thoughts on this?

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I think that would be the only reason for them to agree to come down here without us going there first. Normally the smaller schools sign a 2-for-1 deal with the one home game in the middle. Examples of that are Troy vs. Missouri and Southern Miss vs. Nebraska. Tapping into the south florida talent is very tempting though. ;)
Back to the top

I agree about the deal. That jumped out at me also! They will come loaded with pen in hand for HS recruits. The sort of victory by either one may knock us back a step. But these same athletes who considered FAU may just be looking to stay home too. Therefore USF and UCF may come into play before they leave the state.

I still it's a very good deal if it happens.
Back to the top

Nebraska likes to come south as well. That was the reason for the Southern Miss game last year.

'Bama and Auburn won't play the Huskers, who (word has it) even considered a game at Troy.
Back to the top
Control functions: