Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

What is the average attendance required to stay in division 1A, does it depend on size of your stadium, if NCAA expects you to have 15,000 plus fans and your stadium only holds 13,000 that wont work, or do you need 75% capacity at every home game, dont know, if anyones does please speak up, how many fans showed up yesterday, are they within NCAA guidelines to move up to D1A since this like a probationary season for FAU to show the NCAA that they can sustain a certain level of fan base to stay in D1A.. Help me with this.
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

We need to average 15,000. Despite the weather before and during the game a crowd of 12,557 showed up, a great beggining.

If we do not reach the 15,000 avg. for the year we may have to repeat our transistion year over, so that would mean no bowl games next year. So we just need to attract 17,443 fans for the next game.

I still think there is enough excitement and buzz about the team doing so well that one loss will not deter fans from coming back or attracting new fans. How the team bounces back could actually great more excitement for our next home game.

Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

I hope so, but being so close to Miami Univ., you have USF, UCF, FIU, Fla St., Univ of Fla., there are so many teams in florida, I hope you are right, but considering FAU first home game had a little over 12,000 fans, I think is a little disapointing isnt it., I dont know how the weather was, does the field have lights usually night games attract more fans than day games in florida, because of the heat, thunder storms ect., I really thought that FAU's first home game would have filled the stadium to aleast 15,000, but if you say it was something to build on and the buzz is good for FAU, I'll have to hope your right.
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

12,500 is a good start. You have to consider where they were last year. There were games with less than 5,000 people in the stands. It takes some time to build up a fan base. The turn out of the students was the most encouraging part. They are key to reaching 15,000.
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

I'm not from Fla, so I really dont know how many showed up last year, yes I would think that 12,500 would be a good start, but when you are trying to go D1A and the NCAA says that you need an average of 15,000 people, 12,500 looks great, but it is short, I'm sure Coach Schelli wants to go D1A in the worst way, so like I said give away free tickets to get the fan base up to 15,000 so that FAU can get off probation and into the sunbelt conf. next year.
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

Don't expect any free tickets unless you are a student, but they have done a great deal to attract people to the games - including activities before the games.

I believe they should make the next home games a night game - I can't go into any reason as to why they have not been scheduled up to this point, but it is something that will have to be looked into as a possible solution. I think it could make enough difference to put us over the mark.

Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

now I totally agree, night games usually draw bigger crowds, look at your Miami, Fla St. FLa, ect, I think the weather in fla usually gets better in the evening hours, maybe it would draw a bigger attend., but does lockhart field have lights.?
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

They might loose alot of students if they do night games due to partys, south beach, ft. lauderdale ect. But it is worth a try.
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

seems to me watching on tv that all the other fla teams do pretty good at night.
Back to the top

FAU & Sunbelt Conference

Attendance: It's not the night game vs day game. It's all about developing a football fan base. The teams you mentioned can play at 3:00 in the morining and still draw a crowd. It's all about the fan base which FAU will have to increase. It may take awhile for that to occur. Yesterday was a start.
Back to the top
Control functions: