Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big Offensive Plays by request.

Owls want to add to highlight reel

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted October 29 2004

BOCA RATON ? After Florida Atlantic went 11-3 last season, coach Howard Schnellenberger had a 30-minute highlight video made.

This week, as FAU (5-1) prepared for Saturday's game at Florida A&M (3-5), Schnellenberger fretted that he might not have enough material to fill another half-hour tape.

"I don't think we've made as many big plays," Schnellenberger said. "But we have half a season to catch up."

There is certainly enough there for a good start for the 2004 tape, beginning with tight end Anthony Crissinger-Hill's 31-yard touchdown catch with 23 seconds left that sent the opener against Hawaii into overtime. The Owls won 35-28.

Then, against Middle Tennessee State, Roosevelt Bynes caught a 36-yard touchdown, and Larry Taylor caught one for 47 yards in the third quarter as the Owls overcame a 17-6 halftime deficit to win 27-20.

But last week in their home opener, when the Owls desperately needed several big plays, they got just one, a 44-yard reception by Taylor that gave FAU first-and-goal at the Louisiana-Monroe 7-yard line.

The Owls scored their only touchdown after that catch but suffered their first loss of the season, 17-13.

"We have to put a more error-free offense on the field," Schnellenberger said, pointing to the three interceptions thrown by quarterback Jared Allen in the ULM game and the 11 penalties committed by FAU, seven by the offense.

"It's better to have penalties on the defense than the offense. All you need is one for 10 yards and it is hard to make up," Schnellenberger said.

The interceptions killed three drives, and the penalties also stalled the Owls, who outgained ULM 411 yards to 339.

FAU's pro-style offense produces big plays through play-action passes that can free up Crissinger-Hill, Bynes and Taylor.

Teams that blitz also leave themselves vulnerable since it usually leaves one-on-one coverage somewhere in the secondary.

But last week, Allen overthrew open receivers several times, in addition to the interceptions.

"We did things that hurt us," said Allen, who has thrown for 1,488 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions. "We've made adjustments and should be OK this week."

Parker a GROUND HOG

After getting 24 percent of FAU's carries last year, running back Doug Parker has been handed the ball on 53 percent of the Owls' running plays this season and is on his way to becoming the school's first 1,000-yard rusher.

Parker has 579 yards and is averaging 4.6 yards per carry and 96.5 yards per game with six games remaining. Overshadowed by the loss to ULM was Parker's 121 yards and touchdown, a performance Schnellenberger said was the best of Parker's career.

"His yards were tough. He bruised players. His opponents were licking their wounds," Schnellenberger said.

Copyright ? 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Back to the top

I'm guessing we may have a few big plays Saturday. FAMU likes to blitz also. Hopefully Allen is on target this week.

Nichols State racked up a lot of yards on the ground vs FAMU. Maybe Doug will have a few good runs from scrimmage too.
Back to the top

Doug has been getting stronger and better with every game, IMO he will have another strong 120+ yard day.

As far as Allen - I think the coaches expect FAMU to blitz and will have some nice little plays to counter it, now only if he hits the opens receivers this week. That was the biggest problems last week - if Allen hit's a few of those for a big play, the blitzing would not have been a factor - the difference between executing and not executing. Plus, the recievers dropped way too many passes.

Back to the top

Boy did they drop passes!! Looked like the children's game of "kill the quarterback" where if yoiu held the ball too long you got smashed!

I'm sure they had the contact drills this week with the Wr's.
Back to the top

Besides penalties - the receivers just didn't get it done last week, with plenty of chances. They are usually a very reliable bunch, so I look for them to have a solid game this week. The interesting thing about last week and even the Colgate game - Allen has 3-INT, maybe not his best day and he still manages to find a way to give us a chance at a W. It amazes me that he still has enough composure to continue to fight thru a so, so day.
Back to the top

Have to agree. He always seems composed. To his credit his WR's on occassions, have caught some of the passes he threw into DBL coverage before. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but it's like Bret Farve. Put it in the vicinity and they'll go get it.. ;)
Back to the top

He does sometimes makes does throw that make you wonder, when someone else is wide open (down the middle), but he has great confidence in his receivers coming down with the F-Ball.

Back to the top
Control functions: