Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy - Preview

From USA Today:

TROY STATE

INSIDE SLANT
The Trojans remained undefeated at home (3-0) by taking advantage of seven Idaho turnovers and routing the Vandals 47-7 last week.

The highlight of the day was senior running back DeWhitt Betterson rushing for 184 yards and two touchdowns and becoming the program's all-time leading rusher with 2,979 yards.

"This is the best thing is the world," Betterson said of breaking the record that had stood for 20 years. "God has blessed me. It is a long story of how I got here, but I know I wouldn't want to trade this for the world."

Troy (4-4, 2-2) racked up 280 yards on the ground and scored on a fumble recovery and return, an interception return and a punt return.

The Trojans led 23-7 at halftime and outscored Idaho 24-0 in the third quarter.

"I thought that was a big drive in the third quarter when we got the field goal. We got the momentum back," coach Larry Blakeney added.

Actually, the Trojans made sure the Vandals never had any momentum by dominating both lines of scrimmage throughout the game.

Troy plays Florida Atlantic at home this week in a designated conference game.

NOTES, QUOTES
GAME BALL GOES TO: RB DeWhitt Betterson ? The senior had 184 yards rushing and scored two TDs against Idaho last week. He became the school's all-time leading rusher (2,979 yards).

KEEP AN EYE ON: DB Sherrod Martin ? The freshman had seven tackles, two interceptions and three pass break-ups against Idaho last week. He is the only freshman starter on the defense, which returned nine starters.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We played a game for the ages as far as scoring about every way you can score." ? Troy coach Larry Blakeney after last week's 47-7 rout of Idaho.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
LOOKING GOOD: The Trojans running game was exceptional last week, and, as usual, Troy did a great job stopping the run, allowing just 81 yards.

STILL NEEDS SOME WORK: The passing game has been nonexistent this season and it figures to remain that way in the final three weeks of the season. Troy has benched starter Aaron Leak for true freshman D.T. McDowell, who went just 3-of-12 last week with an interception.

ROSTER REPORT: TE Joe Munson isn't allowed to do interviews after criticizing the coaching staff after the Trojans' loss at Arkansas State two weeks ago. … The Trojans got unexpected great news when quarterback D.T. McDowell decided to give up baseball and sign with Troy this summer. After starter Aaron Leak struggled, McDowell got the first start of his career against LSU and will likely be under center the rest of the season. … True freshman defensive back Leodis McKelvin is playing some in the secondary and returning punts and kickoffs.

Back to the top

Troy - Preview

Looks like stopping the run will a big priority!!
Back to the top

Troy - Preview

Yep! The run stopping will take center stage. At least we don't have to worry about another spread offense!

TE criticizing the offense banned from interviews… ;D
Back to the top

Troy - Preview

Troy can and will pass if the stars align properly. The talent is there with D.T. McDowell and some fine receivers and a couple of good TEs. D.T. is a great runner as well, and will pull it down and bolt (he hurt LSU that way).

Last week, there was no reason to pass. Troy just ran over Idaho. Betterson could have had 300-plus yards, but he and almost all of the starters were pulled in the third quarter.

Watch out for TB Jermaine Richardson as well. He almost won the LSU game with a huge scamper late. Then there's the freshmen, including New Jersey's all-time leading high school rusher, "The Moose"!

But the defense at Troy is the game winner. Those guys just pound the offenses and make huge plays (many wild turnovers) each game. D-end Demarkus Ware, who was totally screwed out of the big post-season award despite leading he nation in sacks, will have to be dealt with.

At one point Saturday, some of us in the Troy chat seriously thought Troy should just leave the defense in the game permanently. It was scoring as much as the offense! :)

I'm looking forward to a great game. I haven't been there since Missouri and that was a very loud,. very crazy, memorable event.
Back to the top

Troy - Preview

FAU is going to have to use speed as usual. While Troy also has a speedy team, they could be the most physical team that FAU will face. Although, most people expected Hawaii to out power FAU and the Owls did a great job of making running lanes and blowing Hawaii off of the ball. It will be very interesting.

An early prediction: FAU 27 Troy 24

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Troy - Preview

Oh we're sure that Troy can pass the ball. The defense will focus on all aspects of the game. It just seems that the run has been your true calling this year.
We've had those days where the defense was looked like the offense. Although I have to say, it hasn't happen this year.

Kenny Cattouse from Keyport,New Jersey will be a good one next year. His partner (WR Bedle)is at Syracuse this year.

Back to the top

Troy - Preview

Kenny has only been in for a few plays this year, but on Saturday, he ran crazy, even getting a 22-yard score.

It's nice to see Troy will soon benefit from its really good recruiting years.

If neither LSU nor South Carolina could put more than 24 on the board against Troy, I don't think FAU will either. I think FAU will score 10-17 points.

Back to the top

Troy - Preview

Troy - Preview

Hey we'll take your total prediction. As long as Troy only scores 9 or 16.. ;D

I'm really looking forward to this game. Your record may not indicate it but your last few years have shown a different pattern for success.
Troy has always been strong.
Back to the top

Troy - Preview

This should be the best defense we have faced so far and should make for an interesting game - low scoring it may just be. Turnovers & special teams could be the determining factor.

Back to the top

Troy - Preview

We're right back in familiar territory. Underdogs on the road. That's a good thing!

Hopefully we will bring our Mad Max Road Warrior "A" game to Troy.
Back to the top
Control functions: