Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy - Websites & News

Links to Troy websites:

Official school website:

http://www.troytrojans.com

Troy Forum:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forum/

Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

Come over and join us at http://www.gotroytrojans.com.

We have a pretty good group of fans there (Alabamians, Floridians and from other states), and unlike some boards (Marshall, Mizzou), we let anyone have their say.

Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

Article from "The Messenger" out of Troy, AL:

Published Nov 01, 2004 - 22:04:47 CST.

Trojans preparing for a fight

By Andy Brown, The Messenger

The Troy University football team doesn't have time to worry about floats and parades, the Trojans are far too busy preparing for a fight, and with good reason - the 6-1 Florida Atlantic Owls are coming to town to take part in the Trojans' homecoming celebration.

By no means are the Owls a pushover opponent. In fact, the Owls have already scored road wins over Hawaii, North Texas and Middle Tennessee State.

The Owls have been road tested and they have proven themselves worthy, rolling up an impressive 6-0 mark on the road in their first season of Division I-A football.

"Florida Atlantic will be a definite challenge," Troy University head football coach Larry Blakeney said. "Their only loss this season was to Louisiana-Monroe, and I believe it was at home. They have beat Hawaii on the road and they beat North Texas in Denton earlier in the season, and in my book that's enough said. They're a challenge."

The biggest challenge may be stopping a very talented FAU offense.

The Owls offensive unit is averaging 27.4 points per game, while racking up 291.4 yards through the air and another 153.6 yards on the ground.

For the Trojans, the key could be disrupting the play before it has a chance to develop.

"As a defense we have to make sure we do a good job of attacking," senior defensive end Jamaal Holt said.

"They had three players over 50 yards rushing last week, they had seven guys catch a pass last week, so what that tells us is that they are going to come out in multiple sets, so as a defense we have to make sure we are getting in there and causing some havoc for them and try to disrupt their offense."

Florida Atlantic senior quarterback Jared Allen has completed 114-of-192 passing attempts this season while tossing eight touchdowns and seven interceptions. Allen has a quarterback efficiency rating of 140.73.

"We have to make sure we are getting pressure on the quarterback," Holt said.

"We can't let him set back there in the pocket and go through all of his reads."

According to Holt, another key will be running to the ball once the play is under way.

"We have to keep getting better at gang tackling," Holt said. "We have to make sure we have as many guys running to ball as we can."

The Trojans also hope to continue to prosper in the turnover game. In the past two weeks the Trojans have gone from a team that was giving up more turnovers than it was taking away, to a squad with an 11 to 1 turnover ratio.

That mark is good enough to rank Troy 11th in the nation.

"Defensively we need to have another big game," Blakeney said.

"We need to have a lot of guys running to the ball and being involved and hopefully we'll get some breaks with turnovers. We need to continue to be stingy with turnovers, as far as the ones we are giving up, and we sure enough need to make sure we are getting some. Plain and simple it's going to take a three-phase game for us to win."

The Trojans and the Owls will square off at 2:30 p.m. CST at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium.

The game will be carried by CSS.

Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

troy looks like a pretty good team i also like their websites but fau really needs this win and i think they kno that and will come out with the win
Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

Come over and join us at http://www.gotroytrojans.com.

We have a pretty good group of fans there (Alabamians, Floridians and from other states), and unlike some boards (Marshall, Mizzou), we let anyone have their say.

Hey BMarkey…Could you give me a link to a picture of this new mascot they are talking about? I couldn't find it.
Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

I haven't seen the new mascot, but it is generating lots of opposition. The old mascot supposedly scared kids and looked to much like Osama Bin laden, if you can believe the rumors.

No pictures yet.

Troy Poster "Mr. Ho's" take on the mascot is pretty funny, though.

Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

Betterson eyeing 3,000 yards

By Andy Brown, The Messenger

Troy University senior running back DeWhitt Betterson will take another crack at Troy football history on Saturday when the Trojans play host to Florida Atlantic University for Homecoming.

Betterson, who became the school's all-time leading rusher last Saturday after topping former Troy great Ted Horstead's 18-year-old mark for career rushing yards, will attempt to become the school's first 3,000-yard rusher when the Trojans face off with the Owls.

The Starke, Fla., native needs just 21 yards to reach the 3,000 yard plateau after rolling up a season-high 184 yards on 16 carries last week in a 47-7 win over Sun Belt Conference-rival Idaho.

"DeWhitt has certainly been the headliner of late, breaking the all-time rushing record, and having a chance at reaching 3,000 yards for his career," Troy University head football coach Larry Blakeney said. "After he made the run to break the record someone brought me a note that said he needed 30 yards to reach 3,000 yards for his career, and I more or less told them he could get those 30 yards on Saturday."

In Betterson's four-year playing career at Troy, the 6-0, 218-pound running back has never been held under 30 yards in a game in which he carried the ball more than three times.

The fifth-year senior would like to see that streak, along with a Troy winning streak, extended.

"I'm happy that I had the chance to break the record," Betterson said.

"It makes me feel good to know that I accomplished a goal I set for myself as a freshman, and to be able to do it on a touchdown run felt real good, but I care more about helping the team win than setting records. Our goal is to win the rest of the games on our schedule, and I want to do what I can to make sure we have a chance to do that."

Betterson, who left the Idaho game in the third quarter after setting the new mark for career rushing yards, is also just 176 yards shy of having his second consecutive 1,000-yard season.

"I feel like DeWhitt will get to 3,000 yards," Troy University offensive coordinator Mark Fleetwood said. "I bet you this, though, DeWhitt would rather win the game than get 3,000 yards. That's just the kind of guy he is."

Betterson would be the only back in Troy's top six career rushers to post multiple 1,000 yard seasons.

The Trojans and the Owls are set to kickoff at 2:30 p.m. CST at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium
Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

From USA Today:

TROY STATE

INSIDE SLANT
The Trojans boast the best defense in the Sun Belt Conference, so what did coach Larry Blakeney do after they forced seven turnovers last week against Idaho?

"I remind them that they were on the field late in three of our losses," Blakeney said. "But our defense is our lead unit. They play together well and they play hard and they're playing better. It's a three-phase game, though, win or lose."

The Trojans (4-4, 2-2) will need to be sharp in all three phases this week when they play host to Florida Atlantic, which will become a Sun Belt member next year. However, this game has equal importance this year as it is a designated conference game.

"I know they've gone into a couple of places that are seemingly snaky and come out on top," Blakeney said, referring to FAU winning this year at league leader North Texas and second place Middle Tennessee. "They are well coached with Howard Schnellenberger, obviously, and they've got great consistency and continuity."

Troy's inconsistency has put it in a precarious situation in the Sun Belt race. Despite beating Marshall and Missouri this year, the Trojans were unable to win at either Arkansas State or New Mexico State. Since they don't play North Texas this season, a league championship is about out of the question.

"North Texas has a great model for success," Blakeney said. "The league is pretty equal but they play the best when the games are on the line."

NOTES, QUOTES
SCOUTING THE OFFENSE: The Trojans have an excellent running game and, because the defense is so good, don't have to score a lot of points. However, the passing game is terrible and needs to improve in the offseason if the Trojans are to be a bona fide contender in the Sun Belt.

SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: The Trojans are the best in the league at stopping the run and they have a league-high 17 interceptions. If not for stumbling on the road at Arkansas State and New Mexico State, Troy would in the Sun Belt title chase. Regardless, the defense has done its job all season.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "They beat North Texas and if they can beat North Texas they can beat a lot of people." ? Troy coach Larry Blakeney, referring to this week's game at home against Florida Atlantic.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
THIS WEEK'S GAME: Troy vs. Florida Atlantic, Nov. 6 ? The Trojans have a good shot at a winning season but need to defeat the future Sun Belt member. Florida Atlantic has defeated Sun Belt members MTSU and league leader North Texas on the road.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: RB DeWhitt Betterson ? The senior gained 184 yards against Idaho last week and is poised to go over the 1,000-yard mark again. He needs just 176 yards in the last three games to reach the milestone. He became Troy's all-time leading rusher last week as well.

DE Demarcus Ware ? The senior leads the Sun Belt with nine sacks and 16 tackles for losses. The rush end has a good chance to earn the league's defensive player of the year award.

ROSTER REPORT: Senior TE Joe Munson isn't allowed to do interviews after criticizing the coaching staff after the Trojans' loss at Arkansas State two weeks ago. … The Trojans got unexpected great news when quarterback D.T. McDowell decided to give up baseball and sign with Troy this summer. After starter Aaron Leak struggled throughout the season, McDowell got the first start of his career against LSU last week and will likely be under center the rest of the season. … True freshman defensive back Leodis McKelvin is playing some in the secondary and returning punts and kickoffs.

Troy - Websites & News

Troy - Websites & News

Troy faced with big test this week

By Jeff Edge
Eagle Sports Writer
Sunday, October 31, 2004

Troy University continued its mastery of opponents at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium, winning for the 24th time in 25 outings, but this week's visitor may prove to be the rudest of house guests.

Florida Atlantic will come to Troy with a 6-1 record, including a sparkling 6-0 record on the road. The victims include Hawaii, as well as Sun Belt Conference foes North Texas and Middle Tennessee.

While the loss did not count against three-time defending conference champion North Texas, Troy's game with the Owls will count toward the Trojans' standing in the league.

Until Saturday, however, Troy can continue to build on its 47-7 victory over Idaho, one that once again saw the defense dominate.

The Trojan stop unit forced seven turnovers, including two that were returned for scores.

Once again, however, the Trojan offense had an up-and-down day. While Troy did put up 280 yards on the ground, it only managed 48 yards passing, including a 3-of-12 day from freshman quarterback D.T. McDowell.

Trojan head coach Larry Blakeney was pleased overall, but said there are still some kinks to be worked out.

"It was rather ugly what we did offensively," Blakeney said. "Not a lot of savvy but that's just part of the deal. Our offense may sputter, but we knew we had a good chance."

Picks galore: After its five-interception performance Saturday, Troy's defense leads the nation in interceptions with 17. Boise State (16), along with Michigan and Texas El Paso are right behind the Trojans. Troy is tied for 11th nationally in turnover margin.

Defense never rests: Troy continues to be among the nation's leaders in several defensive categories. The Trojans are eighth against the run, giving up only 92 yards per game. They also rank 20th in scoring defense (16.6), 24th against the pass (106.78) and are 27th in total defense (313.8).

Too much yellow: If there was a drawback on Saturday, it was the fact the Trojans were penalized too many times. Troy was penalized nine times for a whopping 147 yards, including several of the 15-yard variety. Troy entered the game as the least penalized team in the Sun Belt.

Johnny be good: Former Northview standout Johnny Faulk continued his consistent play on Saturday. The junior cornerback returned a fumble 79 yards for a score. He was active all day, intercepting a pass, making six tackles and breaking up three more.

Lead foot: Troy punter Thomas Olmsted didn't have one of his better days, but still ranks 29th among NCAA punters. Olmsted punted seven times for 35.7 yard average, but did have three downed inside the 20-yard line. His average for the year is still a stout 42.51.

Third down success: Third down conversions had been tough to come by for Troy entering the Idaho game, as the Trojans were only making good 26 percent of the time. It improved dramatically Saturday, as the Trojans were good on 7-of-20 third downs (35 percent).

Jeff Edge covers Troy State sports for The Dothan Eagle. He can be reached at 712-7920 or by e-mail at [email protected]
Back to the top

Troy - Websites & News

Troy prepares for tough Florida Atlantic

By Jeff Edge
Eagle Sports Writer
Tuesday, November 2, 2004

TROY - Florida Atlantic's steady rise from Division I-AA infant to near champion contender to future Sun Belt Conference foe hasn't been lost on Troy University head coach Larry Blakeney.

When the Owls and Trojans meet Saturday afternoon at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium, FAU will bring a seasoned and tested team with plenty of experience to Troy.

Legendary coach Howard Schnellenberger has taken his time molding the FAU program, and the Owls are starting to reap the benefits of a seed that was planted back in 1998, when Schnellenberger was awarded the chance to build a program from scratch.

This year's Owl squad is already 6-1, with all its victories coming on the road. The only loss was at home to future Sun Belt foe Louisiana-Monroe by a 17-13 count.

Schnellenberger's team went 4-6 on is maiden voyage in 2001, and it came back to finish a disappointing 2-9 in 2002. Last year, Schnellenberger's way of doing things and the experience factor kicked in, as FAU posted a 11-3 record, reaching the Division I-AA semifinals before falling to Colgate.

This year's team, anchored by 36 seniors, 17 who have been with Schnellenberger from the beginning, has become a formidable foe for the Trojans.

"I heard somewhere he (Schnellenberger) said this team has as much talent as his national championship team at Miami (1983)," Blakeney said Monday.

That remains to be seen, but one thing is certain - Florida Atlantic will not be the pushover Idaho, last week's opponent was.

"Their experience has really helped, but he (Schnellenberger) has a lot better players doing it," said Blakeney.

Florida Atlantic opened the season with a 35-28 win overtime win at Hawaii, but its week two victory was the one that opened Blakeney's eyes.

"They beat North Texas in Denton and that's enough for me," Blakeney said.

Florida Atlantic has been very versatile in rolling up its six wins thus far. The Owls are averaging 154 yards a game on the ground and 291 more through the air. FAU's Jared Allen, the school's all-time passing leader, has thrown for over 1,700 yards this season.

Passing woes: The acclimation of freshman quarterback D.T. McDowell continues to be a slow one for the Trojans. McDowell was just 3-of-12 for 48 yards against Idaho. Over the past three games, with McDowell starting the last two, Troy is only 16-of-51 for 181 yards. Pressure has had a lot to do with a lack of success, as the line has given up 13 sacks for 91 yards.

Betterson eyes 1,000: DeWhitt Betterson now owns the school record for yardage, but he is also closing in on a couple more milestones. If he rushes for 21 yards Saturday, Betterson will have over 3,000 for his career. If he can pick up 176 more in the next three games, Betterson will go over 1,000 yards this season, making it the second straight year he has eclipsed the four-figure mark. Betterson has been very effective against Sun Belt teams, rolling up 1,317 yards and 10 touchdowns in 11 games. He has gone over 100 yards in seven of those contests.

Defensive gems: Troy's 17 interceptions are not only the most in the country for a team, but thanks to the five picks from last week, the Trojans tied a new school record. Troy's 308 yards on the 17 interceptions is a school record for a season.

.500 teams: If FAU was eligible for the Sun Belt championship, it would be the only team in the league over .500. After a slow start, North Texas is now 4-4, as is Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette and Middle Tennessee.

Top players: The Trojans named their players of the week for the Idaho game. Betterson was tabbed the offensive player, Johnny Faulk the defensive player and Leodis McKelvin was named for special teams.
Back to the top
Control functions: