Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

News on Stadium

FAU domed stadium awaits go-ahead
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic will receive the final report today in its feasibility study on a proposed on-campus domed stadium when representatives of a construction firm meet with a university appointed architect and engineer in Tampa.

The groups will determine the possibility of a 40,000-seat domed stadium on the FAU campus that would serve as home for the football team.

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos will listen to the discussions; if all goes well a formal presentation will be made to FAU President Frank Brogan in the coming weeks.

"I plan to attend that meeting just to make sure we're all on the same page and the research is extensive," Angelos said. "If everybody is on the same page, we'll bring the findings to the president."

Preliminary reports indicate that FAU will be able to construct the dome for around $90 million, but Angelos wants to assure the report's accuracy..

"I delayed the feasibility study because I wanted the construction company to go back and verify the figures," Angelos said.

FAU hopes to have the domed stadium open in time for the 2007 season opener.

"You have to be ambitious, but that's still realistic," Brogan said of the timetable.

If the presentation is received favorably by Brogan, the campaign to raise the money required for the construction of the project can begin.

"We already had some big-time donors express interest and you really have some seed money to get a big project like this going," Brogan said.

Back to the top

News on Stadium

If the presentation is received favorably by Brogan, the campaign to raise the money required for the construction of the project can begin.

"We already had some big-time donors express interest and you really have some seed money to get a big project like this going," Brogan said.

What are they going to do? Sneak in an imposter for Brogan! :D That's probably the only way it'll be rejected.

The "seed" money is said to have been there for about two months now.

STADIUM on campus :)
Back to the top

News on Stadium

How big is the seed money they already have?
Back to the top

News on Stadium

I've heard a few numbers thrown around including the last home game. Anywhere from 6 to 15 million.

I don't recall what numbers coach Schnell told the Lakeland Ledger reporter back in September. It was double digits!
Back to the top

News on Stadium

Wow!!! :o With start-up money like that, the rest should be easier to get.
Back to the top

News on Stadium

The man(coach Schnell) has some serious pull. You need to hear him tell the story about the lunch meeting with Founder Tom Oxley. A check for the Oxley Athletic Center was practically written over lunch!

How many millions were that check for? 8-10?
Back to the top

News on Stadium

I hope they don't plan on putting an indoor track in. that always makes stadiums look like crap.

it would be huge crowd pleaser to annouce that at the homecoming game.

figure two and half years to build it, should be ready for the 07 season….. After the success of this years team already and the annoucement of the stadium in the next few months (official) were ought to get an insane recruiting class……… especially with the best record in florida we will be grabbbing some miami's, uf and fsu typical recruits……. with usf and ucf having horrible season's and the big east on a fade and the sunbelt being better than the mac we will easily beat them out.

Back to the top

News on Stadium

I agree jdirico. Tracks around football stadiums does take away from the football look.
Unfortunately, I do believe that the track team will be a part of this indoor system. I know basketball is included.

Back to the top

News on Stadium

Does anyone know if the plan is for artificial turf or does the 90m include one of those fields that slides outside the stadium?
I really don't like artificial turf but I guess the new turf grass is pretty good stuff.
Back to the top

News on Stadium

News on Stadium

This is a recruiting heaven! If 2007 is accurate, you can tell the recruiting class that the stadium will be ready for them when they are ready to play.. when they are Jr's. This is going to have a monstrous impact on recruiting!.. of course, assuming that is doesn't fall through.
Back to the top
Control functions: