Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

USF's schedule. FAU told them to stuff it!

Good for Craig Angelos! We're beyond the "away game only" with some D1-A teams. USF being one of them!

Bulls' 2005 football schedule unfilled
By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer
Published November 3, 2004

With two vacancies remaining on next year's football schedule, athletic director Doug Woolard has been busy making calls, trying to complete USF's first schedule in the Big East.

With four home games and five road games, USF is looking for two more home games in 2005. As recently as Monday, Woolard called Florida Atlantic to see if the Owls would like to come to Tampa.

FAU athletic director Craig Angelos said his up-and-coming program, 6-1 in its fourth season, is already under contract for six road games next fall, making a trip to play USF unlikely. Angelos would like to work out a home-and-home contract between the schools and expects discussions with USF to continue.

"I think we're going to need a home game, too," Angelos said.

Woolard has said his priority in non-conference scheduling is to bring more BCS-conference programs to Raymond James Stadium. Few programs have as strong ties to USF as Arizona, where athletic director Jim Livengood is an old friend and colleague of Woolard's, and first-year coach Mike Stoops worked with USF coach Jim Leavitt from 1992-95 at Kansas State.

Livengood and Woolard spoke a few weeks ago about scheduling a home-and-home series with the Wildcats, but Arizona has its 2005 schedule booked. If the NCAA moves to a 12-game schedule starting in 2006, the Bulls and Wildcats seem like a good match in a few years.

For the Bulls to continue having six home games each season, USF must fill one of the remaining slots with a lesser opponent that will take a paycheck to come to Tampa without requiring a home date in return. Woolard has talked with Florida A&M, and called Florida International about scheduling a game. FIU athletic director Rick Mello said that while Woolard has yet to make an offer, his football team is "absolutely" interested in playing the Bulls.

Back to the top

They also had to scramble for games this year(2004). I wonder why he didn't call us for games this year?
We do owe them a payback.
The game will have to happen sooner or later. USF will continue to dig into the South Florida market for some players. Especially now with their Big East schedule.
Back to the top

usf is more of a music major school then a football school
Back to the top

I can't agrue with the music part, I never heard of that one. But I can attest to the football part. They have played good football during their short existance. This is a down year and they have a lot of youngsters. They will pick back up next year.
Back to the top

USF is the worst state school in my humble opinion, with FSU being a close second. their athletic program is corrupt, in fact the football coach is probably in his last year due to all the off the field problems his players are having. not to mention the campus is a dump, add in Islamic terrorist professors and you have what equals to the shit florida school.

just my unbiased opinion. ;)
Back to the top

Oh Ohhh! UCF poster in the house.. ;D

I still say if we have to, we should get a home and home game with them. Not an away game only. It helps recruiting.

UCF/Kruczek didn't want any part of FAU either. What's O'Leary's thoughts?
Back to the top

SO FAU might be beyond a away only game deal with USF, but what about FIU? They're a year or so behind FAU in development, should they take that deal from USF??
Back to the top

It would be a good thing for FIU in terms of quality opponent.

I agree that it should be a home-home deal, now that we have a conference affiliation at the D-1A level. Having that stadium on campus is even more critical now, to help attrat these home-home series with the bigger programs.
Back to the top

the only way to get our stadium is to get our attendence up no fans no stadium
Back to the top

SO FAU might be beyond a away only game deal with USF, but what about FIU? They're a year or so behind FAU in development, should they take that deal from USF??

I scratched my head on that one for FIU. To be labeled as "lesser opponents" on the schedule? I also think that FIU should fight for some respect from them. But hey, FIU may take it for the BE exposure only. USF has been on ESPN a lot the past several years! So it can pay off for them too.
FAU's record this year should get a little respect from them. In addition to our conference games we need to stay away from the mid-level(?) teams on away deals. I know they are joining the BE but they are still in C-USA right now and not dominating on the field.
To ask for an away game only, with a team who can compete on the field with them this year, is a slap.

Back to the top
Control functions: