Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Crissinger-Hill Suspended For Rest Of Season

Back to the top

This article goes into more detail, looks like he's our Ricky Williams.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2004/11/04/s1c_fau_1104.html
Back to the top

:o :o :o :o :o

Well that hurts. The offense should be fine, we enough depth on offense. It's time like this that players needs to step-up and prove themselves worthy!!

Back to the top

Here is a story from the Palm Beach Post:

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic junior tight end Anthony Crissinger-Hill, the Owls' leading receiver and top pro prospect, has been suspended from the team, possibly ending his college career.

Owls coach Howard Schnellenberger said Crissinger-Hill was suspended Wednesday for conduct detrimental to the team, but he wouldn't elaborate.

"I don't think he'll be back," Schnellenberger said.

Team sources said that Crissinger-Hill failed a drug test this week for the third time in his career, testing positive for marijuana.

Crissinger-Hill said his departure from the team wasn't due to testing positive for drugs and that he would provide details at a later date.

"It wasn't anything about a drug test," Crissinger-Hill said. "It's deeper than that. I violated team rules and I have to pay the consequences."

According to the Florida Atlantic athletic department's drug policy, players who fail a drug test for the third time have their scholarships revoked and are ineligible for competition for the remainder of their career.

Crissinger-Hill walked out on a school requested drug test the day after FAU's 13-7 loss to Louisiana-Monroe, sources said. FAU rules, which all student-athletes must agree to in a signed statement, state that refusal to take a drug test carries the same penalty as failing the test.

Crissinger-Hill appealed his refusal to take the test on Thursday and was allowed to take another one this weekend.

The day after Crissinger-Hill caught two touchdowns and had 163 yards receiving in FAU's 38-8 victory over Florida A&M on Saturday, he took another drug test and failed it.

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos said he could not comment on Crissinger-Hill's status due to privacy laws.

"There's team rules, university rules or NCAA rules, but no matter which one it is, I can't comment," Angelos said.

Crissinger-Hill practiced Monday, but Schnellenberger met with him just moments before Wednesday's practice and told him he was suspended.

Schnellenberger said the Owls will miss the talented tight end.

"Tony is intelligent, has a good disposition and cherishes his football more than most," Schnellenberger said. "When he doesn't play his best he gets upset. If he gets upset it has to do with his competitiveness."

Crissinger-Hill leads the Owls with 746 yards and five touchdowns this season and has been drawing attention from NFL scouts.

"Whatever happens, he will still be a prospect in the National Football League," Schnellenberger said.

Schnellenberger told the team about Crissinger-Hill's departure during practice. The reaction, according to Schnellenberger, was "silence."

Reserve tight end Dantson Dareus, who has been injured for much of his career, will assume the starting role.

"We don't need a distraction, but this is not going to take anything away from us," Schnellenberger said. "It's unfortunate."

Back to the top

Timing stinks, right before a big game. To lose your biggest weapon on offense will be a set back, but this team has been fortunate all year with injuries and stuff.
We will see what this team is really made of on Saturday, good teams finds a way to pull through.

We have enough veterans on the team to keep the team focused and take care of business.
Back to the top

This is certainly disappointing. It's a shame that it had to come to this with such a talented player. I think we will be fine for this season, though. Dareus is also extremely talented and is more physically gifted than Crissinger-Hill. I'm more concerned about next year. Do any of you guys know what kind of depth will we have a TE? It is a very important position in our offense.
Back to the top

worst news i've heard all year. :'(

my favorite player on the team, and our best offensive player, if not the best player on the entire team. rules are rules though, and congrats to the coaching staff for not making exceptions, even for our best player. that's how you lose scholarships. personally though i don't care if a player smokes pot, and from the sound of coach it sounds like it was an even tougher decision becuase tony was such a good kid. doesn't change my attitude about him, and i hope him the best in what ever he decides to do.

is that a team rule, the drug test / failed three times in a row, or is that an NCAA rule?
Back to the top

Bad news, but you can't let the really good players get away with breaking team rules. Maybe the rest of the team will take notice and not make the same mistakes.
Back to the top

:o wow…

That's a big hit, but I'm with the rest of you guys.. it won't have a huge impact.. Fact is that Crissinger-Hill couldn't really block that well and he had a few dropped balls in recent weeks that shoulda been cought. He was too skinny to block very well. Maybe a little drop off in talent, but not much.
Back to the top

goldenknightowl said

worst news i've heard all year. :'(

my favorite player on the team, and our best offensive player, if not the best player on the entire team.
quote]

you need to think more as an overall team affect then a player by player thing. hes def an asset but he wont make us play any worse because we have other players eager to take his position.
Back to the top
Control functions: