Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OK. Last part of the season is here

We need to make all necessary adjustments. I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect a little let down. The team went through a nightmare this past week. Anyone who has ever played the game or coached beyond Pop Warner realizes that it's not an easy transition for skill positions.
Jared need time to work with his recievers. Regardless of how much they've played recently, they don't have the chemistry of the QB and Hill / Bynes.
Now the offensive line can get into sync with each other too. If Richards and Smith is out or not healthy, then the subs will have a complete week to take snaps with the 1st team.

My hat is off to Troy for a good defensive effort. You won the game. The above is not an excuse but realistic facts. Our team was in disarray and we played like it. Would you have won if the previuos week hadn't occured? Maybe/Possibly. But to say that we should have known better than to predict our team would win is kind of far fetched on your part. That's what true fans are for. They believe in their team.

Hopefully next year will be different here at Lockhart.
Back to the top

I agree OG, that it may have been to much. Not to take anything away from TROY because there defense did a great job keeping us off balance all game and may have had the same result with a healty OL, but I think our chances would have improved. However it was not our only down fall yesterday, they where other issues of concerned that need to be address.

We have been fortunate with injuries so far and we lost a bunch of players in a short period of time, including the suspensions, that any team would have a hard time adjusting to. I knew going in that we had to play a perfect game on offense to have a chance, but it didn't work out that way.

Bitter loss, but we will bounce back - good teams usually do.
Back to the top

Bad week, but we are still tied for the best record in Florida.
Back to the top

I'm disapointed in the loss to Troy but I'm just keeping it in perspective. The players have a week to adjust. Also adjustments should have made EARLIER in the game. I'm sure Coach Schnell will address that just like he did after the ULM game.
We also have a good nucleous of young players who saw some action in a game and not just the scout team.

We will only get better.
Back to the top

I bold and underlined a very important fact from Saturday's game.

FAU offense must match defense's strong performance
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, November 08, 2004

Florida Atlantic's offense disappeared for the second time this season during the Owls' 24-6 loss to Troy on Saturday.

But FAU's defense kept the game from getting out of hand, the same way it did when the Owls' offense struggled in a 17-13 loss to Louisiana-Monroe on Oct. 23.

"The defense played exceptional with the exception of about three plays," FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said Sunday after watching the tape of the Owls' loss to Troy.

FAU held Troy to 263 yards, just less than the Trojans' then-season average of 274.1.

However, a 42-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-10 just before halftime and a 64-yard punt return by Leodis McKelvin kept Troy comfortably in front of the Owls.

While FAU's offense was stagnant, Troy's wasn't much better. The difference was special teams, where not only did the Owls allow the punt return for a touchdown, but the Trojans had a 56-yard punt return nullified by offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties during the play. FAU also allowed a 48-yard kickoff return to Jermaine Richardson that set up Troy's other touchdown, a 2-yard run by DeWhitt Betterson.

"The special teams, for the first time, really let us down. That put the defense in a tough situation," Schnellenberger said.

But it was the Owls' lack of offense that kept them from threatening. FAU advanced inside the Troy 19-yard line only once, and nine of FAU's 15 possessions resulted in a three-and-out series.

"Offensively, we weren't able to handle their explosive and top-of-the-line front four," Schnellenberger said.

This week, FAU (6-2) again might have to rely on its defense. The Owls will play host to New Mexico State (4-5, 3-2 Sun Belt Conference) Saturday, a team that beat Troy earlier this season and defeated Middle Tennessee 44-10 Saturday.

It doesn't appear there will be any significant help coming to an FAU offense that played without five regular starters for most of the loss to Troy.

The best news the Owls got Sunday is that an ankle injury to freshman left guard Brandon Jackson isn't serious.

However, injuries to offensive linemen Dave Richards (knee) and Jarrid Smith (ankle) appear to be bad enough to keep them out of this week's game against the Aggies.

Back to the top

Defense knows it must do job

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted November 10 2004

BOCA RATON ? Given the shaky status of Florida Atlantic's offensive unit, the Owls' defense knows what it has to do Saturday against New Mexico State.

"We have to expect we are going to have to win the game," defensive lineman Yrvens Guerrier said Tuesday. "The offense is down right now, and we can't expect much from them."

How down was evident at Tuesday's practice, when senior tight end Ben Coker and sophomore defensive lineman Stetson Wilson were moved to the offensive line, which was down to three reserves following the injuries to two starters.

"It gives us some insurance," coach Howard Schnellenberger said about the moves.

FAU (6-2) is coming off a 24-6 loss at Troy, a game where the offense was held to a season-low 248 yards.

FAU played the game without its two top receivers, who had been suspended, a hobbled fullback who lasted just two series and with two starting offensive linemen on the bench due to injuries.

"We didn't get struck like they did," Guerrier said about the defense. "We're intact." FAU's defense held Troy to 263 yards, the Owls' best effort of the season.

"If we have to win the game 3-0, that's what we'll do," Guerrier said.

That could be tough, considering New Mexico State (4-5) will come to Lockhart Stadium with a load of momentum after gaining 1,252 yards and scoring 100 points while beating Florida International 56-31 and Middle Tennessee State 44-10 in its past two games.

Against MTSU, the Aggies had the ball for 37:20 while gaining 606 yards, and quarterback Buck Pierce and linebacker Dustin Sober were the Sun Belt offensive and defensive Players of the Week.

Pierce threw for 306 yards and two touchdowns, caught a 40-yard pass and ran for 34 yards. Sober had two interceptions and two sacks.

The previous week the Aggies gained 646 yards in the win over FIU, and New Mexico State has won three of its past four games after starting the season 1-4.

As for the offense, quarterback Jared Allen said a good week of practice is important.

"We have to get that swagger back, get the confidence up," Allen said. "We need to respond."

FAU was brimming with confidence early last week, but then came the news that tight end Anthony Crissinger-Hill and wide receiver Roosevelt Bynes were both suspended and injuries would mean the offensive line would be without Jarrid Smith and have a hobbled Dave Richards.

"It came all in one big wave," Guerrier said.

Richards tried to play against Troy, but dislocated his kneecap and was forced to leave the game and will probably miss the next three games with a torn tendon. Fullback Aaron Sanchez had a groin pull and missed most of the game.

Smith will be out again Saturday, but Sanchez should return.

Crissinger-Hill is suspended for the rest of the season, though Bynes, who practiced Tuesday, should be back for the Nov. 20 game against Illinois State after serving a three-game suspension.

"We have to try and get our mind off Troy and get ready for New Mexico State," Allen said. "You have to play with what you've got and do the best you can."

Copyright ? 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Back to the top

With all the problem swith the OL, do we expect a more conservative play calling on offense, which would mean we need our running game working more then ever with a depleted line ??? Winning the field position game will be important as well - something Troy has
accomplishing agaisnt LSU and FAU, between their defense & special teams and it does make a difference with a so, so offense.
Back to the top

Yep, I agree. Special Teams and the defense will need to kick in an extra gear this week.

Back to the top

Yep, I agree. Special Teams and the defense will need to kick in an extra gear this week.

exactly!
Back to the top
Control functions: