Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NMS - Website & News

Link to NMS Official school website:

http://nmstatesports.com/

Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

Aggies Send Seniors Out In Style With 44-10 Pounding Of Middle Tennesseee

Courtesy: New Mexico State University

Courtesy: Associated Press
The Aggie defense held Middle Tennessee to -28 yards in the second half and only 151 for the game in a 44-10 route.

The New Mexico State Aggies sent their 18 seniors out in style by routing the Blue Raiders 44-10 at Aggie Memorial Stadium.
NMSU has now won three of its last four games and is 4-5 overall and 3-2 in the Sun Belt Conference. Middle Tennessee fell to 4-5 and 3-3 in league play.

NMSU had 606 yards of total offense against a Middle Tennessee defense that posted a shutout and allowed only 156 yards in a 21-0 win over Utah State.

The Aggies were especially dominant in the second half, holding the Blue Raiders to ?28 yards.

In the last two weeks the Aggies have outscored their opponents 52-3.

Buck Pierce had his second consecutive 300-yard game, completing 23 of 34 passes for 306 yards and two scores. He also gained 34 yards on the ground.

Muammar Ali led the Aggie rushing attack with 85 yards on 22 carries and two touchdowns.

The NMSU defense stopped one of the league?s top receivers cold, holding Kerry Wright to two catches for three yards. Wright came into the game with 63 catches for 886 yards and eight touchdowns and had five catches for 187 yards and three touchdowns last year against the Aggies.

NMSU held the Blue Raiders to just 151 total yards and 57 plays. The Aggies ran 90 plays and controlled the clock for 37:20.

The Aggie defense forced four turnovers, recorded four sacks and limited the Blue Raiders to just 18 yards rushing.

The Blue Raiders led 3-0 after the first quarter, but the Aggies scored 17-second quarter points. Wide receiver Kenneth Buckley threw a wide receiver, end around pass to Travis Samuel for an 18-yard touchdown and Pierce hit Jared Quick for a 32-yard score.

NMSU added 10 points in the third quarter and 17 in the fourth. Ali had a pair of touchdown runs while David Romaka caught a 15-yard scoring pass from Pierce.

Ryan Guardia tied a career high with three field goals.

The Aggies compiled back to back 600 yard games for the first time in school history while Pierce moved to fourth in career total offense and fifth in career passing.

NMSU will play its final two games on the road starting next Saturday at Florida Atlantic.

Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

MTSU was talking about our suspended players on their board. I hope their players weren't as distracted.

I guess we have an offensive juggernaut to stop this week at home.

Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

NMSU wins final home game of 2004 season

Times wire reports

LAS CRUCES, N.M. – New Mexico State's defense dominated Middle Tennessee in the second half Saturday night as the Aggies rolled past the Blue Raiders 44-10.

The Aggies (4-5 overall and 3-2 in the Sun Belt Conference) limited Middle Tennessee (4-5, 3-3) to minus-28 yards of total offense in the second half.

Overall, the Blue Raiders, who came into the game averaging 397 yards of offense per game, were limited to 151 yards. NMSU's defense also forced four Middle Tennessee turnovers.

NMSU quarterback Buck Pierce completed 23 of 34 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns, while tailback Muammar Ali led the ground attack with 85 yards on 22 carries. Ali also added two second-half touchdowns.
Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

MTSU was talking about our suspended players on their board. I hope their players weren't as distracted.

I guess we have an offensive juggernaut to stop this week at home.

I'm not the only MTSU fan who observed Anthony Crissinger-Hill and Roosevelt Bynes' bad attitudes at your game with us both last year and this year. It surprises me not that these two are involved in something that your own newspaper dubbed "detrimental conduct".

With that said, FAU will need to find an offense quick because New Mexico State is more than capable of powering out a decent enough defense. But do watch out for New Mexico State's offense. They are better than I could've ever imagined. They waxed us and they did beat Troy. They pound it out on the ground, but they are also very powerful from the air.

Buck Pierce and the backup Paul Dombrowski see equal action because they both are carbon-copies of one another. They both run well and they both throw well.

The good news for ya'll is that New Mexico State does not play well on the road and especially in the Southeast. They are 2-2 against us beating us twice in Las Cruces and losing to us twice in Murfreesboro.

They're team will play with high emotion I'm sure. They're looking forward to a winning record and finishing second in the Sun Belt.
Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

All teams have players who get caught up in trash talking from the opposition. Even MTSU. So I can't say the few MTSU players I saw wolfing back at Tony and Rosey are bad seeds in your program! It's very easy to label someone after the fact. Our biggest trash man is an O- linemen! Talks more than anyone on the team but you'd never know it.

Thanks for the heads up on NMSU. My only concern is that NMSU don't play well on the road but we don't play well at home… ???
Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

NMS - Website & News

NMSU have two POTW

Offense: Buck Pierce

Buck Pierce was responsible for 380 of the Aggies 606 total yards as NMSU beat Middle Tennessee 44-10. Pierce completed 23 of 34 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns, ran for 39 yards on six carries and caught one pass for 40 yards against a Middle Tennessee defense that shutout Utah State last week and allowed only 156 yards. He led the Aggie offense to consecutive 600-yard games of total offense for the first time in school history. In his last four
games, Pierce has completed 92 of 132 passes (69.7%) with two interceptions for 1,184 yards and eight touchdowns.

Defense: Dustin Sober

Dustin Sober registered two interceptions, two quarterback sacks and had six total tackles in NMSU's 44-10 win over Middle Tennessee. He intercepted a pass at the Middle Tennessee 43 yard line in the second quarter that led to an Aggie touchdown and then intercepted a pass on the second play from
scrimmage in the second half at the MT 38 yard line that led to an Aggie field goal. He is the first NMSU player to register two interceptions in a game since 1999. The Aggies held the second ranked offense in the Sun Belt to just 151 total yards including -28 in the second half.
Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

We lost OL Brandon Jackson who was playing his first game as an Owl. I was concerned about our OL before Troy, now I don't know what to think - except we do have a week to prepare who ever has to step in against NMSU.

The defense side will be fine, it will come down to what type of adjustments the coaches make and what type of game plans we have on offense.

The offense will have to have a good day overall for us to have a chance.
Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

In brief: NMSU quarterback, linebacker earn honors

Times staff, wire reports

New Mexico State senior quarterback Buck Pierce and junior linebacker Dustin Sober earned this week's Sun Belt Conference offensive and defensive player of the week awards.

Pierce surpassed the 300-yard passing mark for the third time in his career and the 200-yard passing mark in a game for the fourth consecutive time and the fifth time this season. He completed 23 of 34 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns against Middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Pierce also caught a 40-yard pass from backup quarterback Paul Dombrowski and ran for 34 yards on six carries.

He accounted for 380 of the Aggies' 606 yards of total offense.

Sober had two interceptions against Middle Tennessee, which led to 10 Aggie points in a 44-10 victory.

Sober also had two sacks and finished with six total tackles.

Back to the top

NMS - Website & News

Aggie defense hopes recent success continues in Florida
By Felix Chavez/Assistant Sports Editor
Nov 10, 2004, 12:23 am

In the last two games, the New Mexico State Aggie defense has stepped up its play. The Aggies have forced eight turnovers in the last two games and held Middle Tennessee to just 10 points and 151 yards in a 44-10 win Saturday.

?Causing turnovers can be contagious,? NMSU head coach Tony Samuel said. ?Our defense has been more aggressive and we are maturing as a unit.?<br>
The Aggies have intercepted seven passes in the past 48 pass attempts by opponents after intercepting just one pass in the previous 170 pass attempts.

New Mexico State had three interceptions against Middle Tennessee and held the Blue Raiders in check all night. Middle Tennessee quarterback Clint Marks was just 14-of-28 after completing 74 percent of his passes in the previous eight games, while Blue Raiders star receiver Kerry Wright was held to just two catches and three yards receiving.

The Aggies also had the Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Week in junior linebacker Dustin Sober. Sober collected two interceptions and had two sacks.

?We played great defensively against Middle Tennessee and I think our confidence is growing,? he said. ?We played will in the second half of the Florida International and it carried over into the next game. We were well prepared for the Middle Tennessee game.?<br>
Sober has seen his time on the field increase since the Aggies began playing more of a 3-4 defense. Sober has 34 tackles on the season, five for a loss to go with three sacks.

?I feel like I have been making progress,? Sober said. ?We?ve done some new things and that?s given me the chance to be on the field more.?<br>
Said Samuel: ?Dustin has really improved and he?s getting better all the time and becoming a play maker for us on defense.?<br>
Felix Chavez can be reached at [email protected]
Back to the top
Control functions: