Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Depth concerns

This team has been plagued by injuries and it seems like the offensive line has always had very little depth. Something is wrong when you are pulling guys from the D-line and sticking them on the O-line this late in the season. I would think that it would be better to pull the redshirt off of some young guys and get them playing time. At least they are familiar with the offensive plays and they have experience at the position. We need to address this issue with recruiting this year. It seems like in Florida, fast guys are a dime a dozen but big bodies are difficult to find. We need to sign at least 5 big offensive linemen so that we can start building some depth. 5 per year gives you 25 on the team at any given time with at least three deep ready to play. Hopefully this situation can be resolved. I have never heard of a team pulling guys from defense to play O-line because of depth concerns. The coaches need to address the O-line concerns asap.

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Depth concerns

To put in in perspective we recruited the remaining D1-A players from this state. There's an avg of 300+ D1A/AA players who come out of Fla every year. When the big 3 are done with their pickings next in line are the out of state schools. Let's just say high side, 75 players to the Big 3. That leaves 225 who chooses between out of state and USF/UCF. We lose 150+ kids every year to out of state schools. The remaining players choose to play at USF and UCF. FAU is new to the table. When our turn come around we don't have a lot of options for size. They're gone. The list I posted was recruited in the 2003 school year for 2004 signings. Now we need to look at the 2004 list for 2005 signings.
We are only 3 full seasons old. Soon to be 4. We expected to go D1-A within 5 years. We're almost 2 years early. Just that we are ahead of schedule on the D1-A move and it shows on the depth chart. Some of the players are still D1-AA caliber and size.
That's not a knock on the players. Just a fact that some probably won't be starting on some D1-A rosters. I'm sure that the needs of the offense will be addressed this season.
That will soon change.

I agree that the strategy needs to change. I think that Coach Schnell need to get away from his "FAU territory from Tampa to Orlando to Miami theory" and get to the southern states and the midwest to get the beef into the lineup.
That's what all the out of states school brag about. Beef from the midwest and speed from Florida! Been quoted many times.

The size and girth recruits will be coming soon.
Back to the top

Depth concerns

Good perspective O.G. I understand the situation with talent in Florida and how it is dispersed. We are getting slim pickings after all of the 1-A programs are done. That is why a "Florida Only" strategy to recruiting isn't the best strategy, especially in terms of the linemen. Get speed in Florida and athleticism in Florida, get beef in the midwest. Look at all of the midwestern schools that recruit Florida for speed and stay at home for beef. It works.

Back to the top

Depth concerns

Exactly. If you look at the rosters of the top 10 schools you'll see some very good fla talent in key positions.
A few years back there were 74 starters/contributers on the top 25 rosters.

I'm sure there are some hungry farm boys in Wisconsin who would love some November/December sunshine. Now that the NCAA has cracked down on recruiting visits we better be careful with the South Beach angle.. ;D
Or….Maybe we can shift the border about 900 miles north of Tally. You think Coach Schnell will notice.. :D
Back to the top

Depth concerns

I agree we need to hit up the midwest for some size and stay at home for the skill.
Back to the top

Depth concerns

Our upcoming schedule will help with out of state recruiting. I especially like the Oklahoma State and Michigan State games. Winning against MTSU could also help us to pick up some big bodies from Tennessee if they don't go to UT or Memphis. We should also be able to keep more of the in-state talent. Lets shoot for as many 290+ pounders with this years recruiting. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Depth concerns

O.G., why are we going to the D-line for offensive players instead of bringing up some of the big redhsirts from last years recruiting class? I would think that the 6'6 290lb guy would be ready as well as the 6'1 300 pounder. It is a toss up, it would be nice to build the line this year and guarantee a winning streak going into the off-season, but it would also be nice to keep those guys eligable for another four years. I guess coach thinks that we have entered the weakest 1/4 of our schedule and we can win out even with defensive players on the O-line. What do you think?

Back to the top

Depth concerns

Your last two sentences are probably right on the money. We don't have a true championship or bowl game in our future so the best thing would be to save the redshirts. Not looking past the 3 remaining teams but we should be able to compete with the athletes who are healthy.

That's my take on the situation.
Back to the top

Depth concerns

Depth concerns

I think that is probably the reason also. Better save them and stack up the line rather than lose a year of elgibility, especially since we arnt bowl elidgible.
Back to the top

Depth concerns

Part of the problem is the complexity of the offense system we use and it also give the freshman time not only to get bigger but to learn the system.

The coaches may have felt at the beggining of the season we had enough depth as to not waste the freshman and now with only three games left is it worth the price - you could argue both side equally well here. Give them expirence for success next year or let them develope slower and keep them for a full four years.

Though decision for the coaches - if it works your a genuis, if not then you can debate you should have brought in the freshman's.

Back to the top
Control functions: