Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Edward Waters

Web site & News for Edward Waters:

Official Web-Site:

http://www.ewc.edu/

Quick Bio:

Institution: Edward Waters College
Founded: 1866
Enrollment: 1282
Mascot: Tigers
School Colors: Purple, Orange, & White
Home Arena: William M. Raines High School
Capacity: 8000
Affiliation: NAIA

Back to the top

Edward Waters

Is anyone else like me? Kind of embarrassed that this game is on the schedule. I know this year we can't win anything so it doesnt hurt us, but I just feel uncomfortable with it. The one thing it does do is allow the team to play it's young guys that will be playing next year, but the jump in competition from NAIA to NCAA is like the Jupiter Hammerheads playing the Marlins in a regular season game. I'm sure some of the Edward Waters people like to have this game to increase the stature of their program, but that will only last until kickoff. Another reason against this game is that it will bring average attendance down….a lot. I haven't missed an Owls game in their history, but I know that I will not be going to this game (because of work schedule). Normally, I would try my best to make it down to the stadium, but not this week. I have a feeling many others won't be there as well. I view this as a week of practice before the Shula Bowl….but hey, we will pick up a W, which is the only real positive in my view.
Back to the top

Edward Waters

Edward Waters Becoming Small-School Power

By CHRIS CARLSON Tribune correspondent
Published: Sep 2, 2004

This year's NAIA title game may determine a national champion, but it may not decide which team is best in the small-college division.
At least that's what Edward Waters coach Lamonte Massie believes.

Massie, in his fourth year at the helm of the program of this small Jacksonville school, says his program has the talent to win a national championship this season. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the schedule. On Nov. 27, Edward Waters' final game, the Tigers take on Florida Atlantic University. On Nov. 27 the rest of the NAIA's best will be beginning the playoffs.

``We can't qualify for the playoffs this year,'' said Massie, who won his season opener last Saturday 28-12 against Elizabeth City. ``So the polls are going to tell us who the best team is.''

Massie said the economics of running an NAIA football program and the opportunity to play a top-caliber football team led to the decision.

And if Massie's team is as good as advertised, the decision may cost them the team's first-ever playoff berth. Edward Waters had made a trend of improving every year. The Tigers finished 6-4 in 2002 and improved to 7-4 last season.

Improvement should occur naturally this season, as the Tigers return 17 starters.

``Our goal is nothing short of the national championship,'' said Massie, who'd like to be ranking No. 1 despite not being eligible for the playoffs and the national title that goes with it. ``I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. We have the talent and it's all we've worked for since I've been here.''

Among the returning players are senior defensive end Jeris White and senior quarterback Dexter Davis. White compiled eight sacks in seven games and should allow a defense that returns 10 of 11 starters remain dominant.

Davis, meanwhile, is an experienced quarterback who has started for three seasons but hopes to return to the form of his sophomore year, when he threw for more than 1,900 yards.

The Tigers have come a long way in just a few years.

They are regularly drawing between 3,500 and 4,000 fans.

``You deal with a lot of things that aren't conducive to a football program when you're just starting out,'' Massie said. ``We're no different than any other small school in that way. But we've been lucky. The administration and, now, the area, have really supported us.''

Massie still has 13 of his original 18 freshmen and said he expects all of them to get significant playing time this season. He'll hate to see them go.

``I'm an emotional guy,'' Massie said. ``I'll be teary-eyed. I watched these guys grow from scrawny freshman into the strong athletes that they are today.''
Back to the top

Edward Waters

I'm not sure if this game will be good practice for us or the newcomers - the scout team will probably be better their their first teamers.

This could be worse then having Siena last year. I'm concerned with having this easy of a game going into the FIU game. After the Siena game last year I was concerned going into the FIU game and this year I will have the same ones. Adjusting to games speed of Edward Waters & FIU will be tremedous.

Attendance will be horrible, combine with the fact that it's thanksgiving weekend and like you said will people make the extra effort to make the game if they are out of town ??
Back to the top

Edward Waters

I am wondering if Willie Gary had something to do with us scheduling Edward Waters this year. He has donated money to both schools and a nice chuck to FAU for that matter. This could very well be one of those do me a favor in return thing.

Back to the top

Edward Waters

Edward Waters College is affiliated with over 80 churchs down here Im not concerned about the attendece at all.. IMO I think there will be more for next weeks game than this week. We have already sold more presales tickets to this game than any other.
Back to the top

Edward Waters

didn't the coach get fired not long ago in some kind of scandal??
Back to the top

Edward Waters

Edward Waters

Don't forget that EWC will probably bring 2-3,000 of their own down. We might actually be outnumbered on Sat!
Back to the top

Edward Waters

didn't the coach get fired not long ago in some kind of scandal??
yea he was cought with a prostatute.
Back to the top

Edward Waters

Don't forget that EWC will probably bring 2-3,000 of their own down. We might actually be outnumbered on Sat!

:o

For a school of about 1280 students to travel that well is awesome.
Back to the top
Control functions: