Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAMU shuts down football financially!!

How can they function? Weren't they traveling here next year.??

http://www.wctv6.com/sports/headlines/1108652.html

FAMU Financially Shuts Down Football Program

FAMU Football has been financially shut down. Athletic Director Dr. Ramsey met with head coach Billy Joe on Monday and told him that the FAMU Football program will not be allowed to spend any money in 2005, nor will they be allowed to have a recruiting class for the upcoming season. Coach Joe will also be forced to play in 2005 without a defensive coordinator. As of now, Billy Joe will coach FAMU for next season, but he will wait to make a final decision about his future at the school. Coach Joe's contract expires December 31st, 2006.

Quotes from Billy Joe:
"I have never heard of this in the anals of football history i've never seen or heard of this taking place … but the athletic director informs me that there is no money and that we have to shut down financially as far as the football team is concerned"

"its a big hit, and its going to set this program back a bit we don't know how much … hopefully not at all .. but i can't see it not hurting the football program, but hopefully it won't ultimately lead to the demise of the program and the team"

"I had a meeting this morning with dr. ramsey and he indicated to me that he will not extend my contract and of course to further compound the problem he has shut down the football program from a financial standpoint we can no longer recruit and i cannot hire a defensive coordinator"

ALSO….

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/10298227.htm

Florida A&M: No contract extension for head coach Billy Joe

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida A&M University won't extend the contract of its head football coach Billy Joe beyond the 2005-06 season, the school said Monday.

The school finished the season with a 3-8 record and lost the Florida Classic against rival Bethune-Cookman for the third straight year. The Rattlers were playing a vastly upgraded schedule after aborting an attempt to move into Division I-A.

Joe, a one-time NFL fullback, led the Rattlers to an 86-46 record in his 11 years at the university.

Sports information director Alvin Hollins said the school would release a statement Tuesday explaining why the coach's contract won't be extended.

Joe spoke to local reporters after learning the news Monday morning from Joseph Ramsey II, the university's special assistant to the president for athletics.

The coach told WCTV-TV in Tallahassee that Ramsey also discussed budget cuts. Joe said he was told "there is no money and we have to shut down financially as far as the football program is concerned."

Hollins disputed Joe's account. He said the school has budget problems which were also discussed at the meeting, but no decisions have been made on cuts. He said those decisions could come as soon as next week.

Hollins said ticket sales were down this year. In September, the athletics department had a 20 percent budget cut, he said.

In February, the school aborted its effort to attempt to jump to Division I-A. It will compete as an I-AA independent this season and will re-enter the I-AA Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference next year.

This spring, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference stripped Florida A&M of 11 conference titles, including two in football, punishing the Rattlers for 196 NCAA rule violations.

No one answered the phone at the coach's office after hours Monday and it wasn't possible to leave a message. Phone messages left on Joe's home and cell phones weren't returned.

Back to the top

Wow and to think they were going to do the 1A push this year like us and now look, they fell apart. I cant believe that they dont have the money, the band alone draws a croud of over 50,000 to see them. The Orange Blossom Classic this week vs. FIU was the the lowest road attendence of the year
Back to the top

There were some internal issues and firings this year and finances didn't come through.

Imagine what the juniors are thinking. Same type of year again!
Back to the top

This is really sad. The program has had great success in the past. It is very unfortunate. 1-AA teams rarely make money. Even with success they lose lots of money when they host playoff games. Each home game costs a minimum $30,000 bid plus 75% of revenue going to the NCAA. This is why so many 1-AA teams want to move up. Bowl games equal money, playoff games don't.

The loss of a recruiting year really hurts them. That will be hard to recover from.

Hopefully a defensive can take the coordinator responsibilities. How great would it be if they have a big year next year? I am pulling for them. GO FAMU and GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I wish them luck
Back to the top

It would be a shame to lose a team like FAMU that has so much history and tranditions and I feel for these players - I would expect some of them to transfer else where. I'm sure Coach Joe will have no problem finding himself a coaching position somewhere.

:'(
Back to the top

I wonder what is going to happen with the band. It would be kind of tough to have all of them playing at a swim meet.
Back to the top

You would think with FAMU's band, they should make enough money to survive… It makes you wonder about how FAMU's financial situation is as a whole, forgetting about the football cuts.

What a shame.
Back to the top

If Prairie View A&M managed to stay afloat during all of the years in which they were terrible and in financial trouble, FAMU should be able to make it. How do you go from thinking that you have the funds to move to 1-A to being financially shut down at the 1-AA level? It doesn't make much sense. Unless the sole reason for moving up was to try to improve revenue ???

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: