Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big O on the radio today

Today, as I was on my way home from taking a pair of finals, Big O was in for Jim Mandich today. He started one of his segments about the FAU-FIU game… it went something like this..

"You south Florida fans should be ashamed of yourself. Your team needed you to show up and you didn't show up. Your all a bunch of fair-weather fans."

He was bashing everyone who didn't show up. He was saying how there's a lot of alumni down here and we could of easily filled that stadium up.

At least Big O's talking about the game, even if he was bashing everyone for not showing up..
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

What get me about the alumnis is this and I will probably be repeating myslef again, sorry, but it does aggravate me to a point. It's not like you have to stop supporting the other football team you happen to worship, but why not show suppport to your Alma Mater, especially if it was good enough for you to spend that good hard earned money on your education that started you off on your proffessional career.

I mean is being an FAU grad that embarassing. Just remember that FAU has changed considerably and I would think that now that we have football it would be easy to find a way to make a few games to show support to your Alma Mater especially in time on need.

I'm not asking anyone to become a season ticket holder, but make an effort to attend a few games every year as support, especially local alumni's.

A little support from everyone goes a long way.
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

Not all alumni are apathetic
Mr. Evil Santa Claus :o
I'm an alumni, I'm a season ticket holder, and I'm gonna ask for FAU gear for Christmas.

My friend who shares the season tix with me is also an alumni, and he donated $$$$$ to the school, and will do so again next year.

Maybe they should give season ticket forms to the seniors on their exit interview.

The alumni will come around (remember most of the alumni did graduate when FAU wasn't too big). We're only 4 seasons into the beginning of a wonderful program. Each year we're taking steps forward.
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

Big O on the radio today

mh2o - I am also an alumni, but I was speaking for the alumnis that thumb their nose to the mere mention of the word FAU and I have cross path with many. The number of alumni's that do support this school is small and that is what this grinch is upset about.

I think more support from a large alumni base is needed, that is all and will agree in time as the program does continue to build - they will come.
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

I will be an alumni beginning this Friday ;D

And as soon as I situated financially, I'm surely going to buy season tickets.

I wonder if I'll still be able to use my student ID to get in.. hmmm
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

Methinks the problem lies with the ELDER Statesmen of the Alumni group.
The young up and coming Alumni will grow with the program, as evidenced by some on this board. Some of the more "seasoned" Alums will have a harder time adjusting. It's change slowly.

Change is a terrible thing to some people.
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

I'm not so sure about that OG. All of my friends who still live in this area, that graduated back in the dark ages (1987) go to the games. I think that it will grow big time next year with a higher caliber schedule at home. We need to build a local fan base like UM. Most of the fans in the stands at their games never set foot on the campus. I proud of the team and FAU. I can't wait for next year! ;D
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

You have a point there HOTEL. Most never went to those schools they support. We will come around in a few years. Hoefully next season like you said.

PS: I was talking about the Jurassic age….Late 60's to 70's.
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

I'm an old-timer who graduated 10 years ago, and I've been thrilled about FAU football from the first time I heard about it. I made it to the first game in '01, but unfortunately not since. Those things become harder when you get married.

But you're all correct. It will take time. Even for the alumi. I live in Jax and this was the first year that MOST of the games were on TV. I may have owned the only TV in Jax that was tuned in, but I was there.

I've got tons of FAU gear and I get puzzled looks all the time. Every now and then a person will ask me straight up where FAU is.

But it's coming. I had a guy at work two weeks ago who knew Howard was our coach. That's a start as FAU get NO press here whatsoever.

The program will grow, current and future students will grow with it, and alumni will eventually come around. And when they do, we can tell them we've been here all along…DRIVING the bandwagon!! ;D ;D
Back to the top

Big O on the radio today

The fan base as far as alumni will grow as more of us graduate. This year is the first year that FAU has felt like a big college, from drinking beers a wackadoos to searching 20 min for a parking spot. I remember when I first went there it took me 10 sec.s to find a spot, its amazing at how fast it has grown.
Back to the top
Control functions: