Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dome Update

Florida Atlantic moving forward on domed stadium
Florida Atlantic University

Published Tuesday, December 7, 2004 at 1:00 am
by Hannon Deutsch

A formal presentation was made to Florida Atlantic University President Frank Brogan last Thursday on the cost of a proposed on-campus domed stadium that would serve as a home for the football team and a myriad of other events.
The final feasibility study, which was presented by Rosser International, Inc., Geiger Engineers and Hunt Construction, indicated the project would cost $95 million for the 40,000-seat stadium.
While FAU is aiming for a 2007-08 completion date, the process of moving forward is still a critical step away from making the project a reality. Brogan said he is moving full-throttle behind the scenes on a ?silent campaign? to find out if there is enough support to make this project happen.
?The reality is before ground is broken we still have a lot of work to do,? said Brogan, who indicated he has had serious conversations with donors. ?We want to do a quiet campaign now and find out who is interested in actually stepping up to the plate. In this industry if you can secure early on about 40 percent of the money necessary to build a building then you?re well on your way. Until that happens, we?re still a critical first step away from it truly becoming a reality.?<br>FAU would need those commitments from the donors by the spring.
?There is optimism and some hope,? said Fred Krenson, the vice president of sports design at Rosser International, Inc. ?It is a possibility based on what they have expected and might be able to do. We have been giving advice about it and would like to be the one to do it.?
Brogan said he would like to mimic the concept of the Carrier Dome, which sits on the campus of Syracuse University. Rosser, Geiger and Hunt were involved in the design, engineering and construction of the Carrier Dome, which was completed in 1980.
The dome that would be constructed on the Boca Raton campus, in the empty lot located to the north of the Tom Oxley Center, would be air-conditioned, have a next generation fabric cover and contain 40 private box suites and 5,000 club seats. It would serve as a multi-use athletic facility, as well as host concerts, cultural events and scholastic competitions.
?There would be no facility like it in the southeastern United States,? Brogan said.
Back to the top

Dome Update

95 million! :o

I realize that it needs to be multi-use but I hope that if for some reason they can't come up with the coin that we at least get an open football stadium.
Back to the top

Dome Update

Dome Update

for 95 million is should be insane. I hope they can break ground by the end of next year…… the 06 recruits would be first class…. Big East 08'……..
Back to the top

Dome Update

I agree that we should at least plan to have our own open stadium if all else fails (I'm sure they do) but it would be so killer to have that stadium man, practicly right behind Boomers and the Airport right?

I heard that it was going to be a retractable dome, anyone know of this?
Back to the top

Dome Update

If it was retractable, it would probably cost well more than $95 million, plus it is supposed to be modeled after the Carrier Dome, which is not retractable.

Its good to read that the Dome may be started relatively soon, it will just be another point to help the recruiting sell.
Back to the top

Dome Update

That's really insane. Honestly, Palm Beach County (and FAU) need a freaking college football stadium, not a taj mahal (O.K. we do have the school board H.Q.).

Troy rebuilt its stadium for around $20 million, including some of the nicest club level facilities in the country.

Go outdoors, FAU, or chance getting a stadium at all.

Build something nice and conservative but expandable, and something that can host major events, concerts, high school championships and even a bowl game.

Be realistic, Frank!
Back to the top

Dome Update

You've got to realize, the university is thinking about more than just football with this dome. A football stadium only has 4-5 home gates a season, which won't bring in nearly enough money to help subsidize the cost. They're trying to create a venue that will be attractive for non-football event too.

I do agree that I wish it were an outdoor stadium, sports are meant to be played outside. But this will help FAU build a little more name recognition.

By the way…
Can someone tell me how FAU can build a domed stadium for $95 million, but the Marlins need $350+ million to build their stadium? Does the retractable roof part cost $250+ million?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Dome Update

i agree big time. domed stadium.

As for the carrier dome I was at syracuse for some star lacrosse player's wedding, the dome was right next to the chapel, it is not attractive at all, an eye sore to say the least.
when they say "modeled after the carrier dome" I hope it means roof and astro turf…. it's looks older than fleming hall.
Back to the top

Dome Update

I believe FAU should celebrate and promote its tropical location - not hide from it.

As for the arena's use by other sports and events, basketball has to come a long, long way before that size of a facility would be needed, and the rain in this area certainly isn't a problem in the fall and winter.

Good luck, but an outdoor stadium would be more useful and realistic.
Back to the top

Dome Update

The carrier dome is the most recogignizable dome so I'm guessing that is the reason behind the comparison.

The price of the Marlins is probably based on everyone having their share of the financial deal up front. Big business and sports :-X

Also the Marlin's Dome will probably have about 300 luxury boxes.. :D compared to FAU's model.
Back to the top
Control functions: