Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Potential 2005 FAU recruits.

This is a paid subscription so I cannot provide the official link. I just copied the page.
This is VERY early in the process folks. The kids may never sign with FAU. These are just prelims to signing day. Most players only visit schools for leverage and experience.
But I do like some of their targets!!

Pro-style quarterback
Name Stars RR Ht/Wt/40 Rank Schools
Jorge Fernandez
Miami (FL) Westminster Christian 5.3 6-4/193/5.09 - list
Bodie Reeder
Champaign (IL) Mahomet-Seymour 5.3 6-0/208/4.8 - list
Randy Van Meter
Fort Lauderdale (FL) Westminster Academy - 6-2/195/4.9 - list
Drew Willy
Randolph (NJ) 5.2 6-4/195/5.18 - list

Dual-threat quarterback
Mike Kafka
Chicago (IL) Chicago St Rita 5.5 6-3/190/- 23 list

Running back
Jarvis Drayton
Port St. Lucie (FL) West Centennial - 5-8/190/4.55 - list
Roderick Hill
Jupiter (FL) - 6-0/186/4.4 - list
Roosevelt Ross
Ocala (FL) Forest 5.2 5-10/196/4.53 - list
Craig Sheppard
Escondido (CA) San Pasqual 5.4 6-0/184/4.5 - list

Wide Receiver
Carmen Connolly
Pittsburgh (PA) Seton-LaSalle 4.9 6-0/177/4.69 - list

Tight end
Andrew Anderson
Boca Raton (FL) Pope John Paul II - 6-2/214/4.83 - list

Offensive tackle
Oscar Gonzalez
Hialeah (FL) 5.2 6-6/280/5.2 - Auburn
Tyler Rice
Bradenton (FL) Lakewood Ranch 5.0 6-5/285/5.4 - list

Offensive guard
William Cook
Wellington (FL) 4.9 6-2/325/6 - list

Offensive center
Blake Varino
Tampa (FL) Jefferson - 6-0/281/5.72 - list

Weakside defensive end
Matt Staver
St. Augustine (FL) Nease - 6-4/238/4.78 - list

Strongside defensive end
Kenny Brown
St. Augustine (FL) Nease - 6-3/252/4.99 - list
Aaron Stahl
Venice (FL) 5.0 6-3/290/- - North Carolina

Inside linebacker
Beau Brudzinski
Ft. Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas - 6-1/192/4.75 - list
Jesus Gangi
Boca Raton (FL) Pope John Paul II - 5-11/215/4.82 - list
Beau Reed
Rumson (NJ) Rumson-Fair Haven - 6-3/214/4.82 - list
Vinny Stetsko
Toms River (NJ) South 4.9 6-0/198/4.59 - list
Walter Theus
Alachua (FL) Santa Fe - 6-0/215/4.8 - list

Outside linebacker
George Byrd
Naples (FL) 5.0 6-0/202/4.65 - list
Edward Hardee
Auburndale (FL) - 6-2/206/4.81 - list

Cornerback
Jack Ambridge
Boca Raton (FL) Spanish River - 5-7/185/4.69 - list
Collin Sheppard
Orange (CT) Amity Regional 4.9 5-11/180/4.4 - list

Safety
Shaheim Blacknall
Pahokee (FL) 5.0 5-11/170/4.45 - list
Brett Carr
Niceville (FL) - 6-0/177/4.72 - list
Carl Teague
Saint Petersburg (FL) Catholic 5.1 6-2/215/4.55 - list
Back to the top

I see some good size linemen in there and a few out of state players on that list.
Back to the top

Some interesting names on that list…

I like seeing Bob Brudzinski's son, Beau, on the list. Can't have too many ties to the Dolphins' undefeated season.

Tons of local kids too, in keeping with Schnelly's FAU Territory theme. That running back Jarvis Drayton for Centennial is a horse.

Plus I see a safety from Pahokee. We need as many kids from the Glades as possible. Helps draw more athletes from out there.

Which site is this list from O.G.?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Canadian Owl Here is the site: It's nice message board which discuss high school sports. It gives a good heads up on who's who in Florida high schools.

http://flavarsity.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=957&fid=326&style=2
Back to the top

Some nice talent out there. It is nice to see good size on both the offensive and defensive lines. Should be a good recruiting class. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

When is the time of year that verbal commitments are made??
Back to the top

They can make verbals at anytime. A lot of players don't keep them. So does some colleges who withdraw their offers. However the actual signing day is in February.
Back to the top

Owls focusing on recruiting

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted December 11 2004

BOCA RATON ? Coach Howard Schnellenberger has not had much company since the season ended, as his assistant coaches are fanned out across South Florida recruiting potential players as the Owls face not just a rebuilding year but a major restocking effort.

"?t's going to take at least two years, maybe three, to get where we want to be," Schnellenberger said about having the right number of players in each class so FAU can stay close to the 85-scholarship limit. "We don't have a big junior class, and we're probably going to be six scholarships short next year."

FAU has 14 returning juniors who will be replacing at least 25 seniors, and the Owls could lose several more players pending results of surgery and appeals. Seven of the juniors are probable starters, meaning the Owls will go from a senior-laden team to one dominated by sophomores and redshirt freshmen.

"These players are more talented than the seniors, but they don't have the experience," said assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Kurt Van Valkenburgh.

The gap was inevitable due to the FAU's being a startup program and beginning in Division I-AA, which had a 63-scholarship limit.

FAU front-loaded its recruiting in the first two years to have enough players to field a competitive team, meaning small recruiting classes in 2002 and 2003.

"We knew this was going to happen," Van Valkenburgh said. "There is no way of avoiding a situation where you are going to have a young class come in."

The priority for this class is offensive and defensive linemen.

"We need are about 18 big guys," Schnellenberger said. FAU has to replace three starters on the offensive line and all four on defense. "That's where the games are won."

Van Valkenburgh said FAU has been able to recruit better talent now that the Owls are winning and moving to I-A and into the Sun Belt.

"The lure of D-I is tough to overcome if you are a I-AA team," Van Valkenburgh said. "Now we can keep some players that might go to the ACC, Big Ten or Big East."

FAU also is targeting recruits being courted by Florida, Florida State and Miami.

"Those guys wield a very big hammer, but now that we are I-A we want to be in the mix," Van Valkenburgh said.

Looking back

Schnellenberger also took the time the reflect on the 2004 season.

"All things considered, I am really proud of what this team accomplished," said Schnellenberger about the 9-3 Owls.

FAU started fast, going 5-0 and garnering national attention by upsetting three straight I-A opponents on the road.

Then came injuries to the offense line and the suspension of FAU's two leading receivers, and the Owls went 1-3 before winning their final three games to end the season 9-3.

"For us to be really good we have to be hitting on all cylinders with all the players we got," Schnellenberger said.

Copyright ? 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Back to the top

"These players are more talented than the seniors, but they don't have the experience," said assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Kurt Van Valkenburgh.

"For us to be really good we have to be hitting on all cylinders with all the players we got," Schnellenberger said.

Hopefully with the higher level of talent from last year & this year recruiting class will offset the inexpirence, instead of the fast start we had this year, we can set-up for a strong finish with the conference games.

Back to the top

That's my gut feeling about the talent. People see(wish) for a severe drop off but I look at last year's group. Some could have played but were redshirt for obvious reasons. They were recruited to REPLACE existing players. The 1st class was based on getting bodies in place for the new team in 2001. Experience cannot be substituted but they will get in gear with the newer recruits very quickly.
Back to the top
Control functions: