Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SUNBELT IS GOING BOWLING (PREDICTIONS)

Any thoughts on the SBC bowl games?

My predictions:

North Texas gets the running game going and beats up on Southern Miss in a close, physical, game.

UNT 24
SO MISS 21

Northern Illinois has more talent and better coaching than Troy. Plus, NIU has been snubbed by the bowl officials for years. They will be coming to play. NIU moves the ball with a balanced attack and shuts down the Troy offense.

NIU 35
TROY 17

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I hate to burst your bubble, but how could Troy - which gave up no more than 24 points in any game all season (and mostly much less than that) - all of a sudden gave up 35?

The defending national champs (LSU) struggled to put up 24 points, including a late game (2:00) long TD to come from behind to beat Troy 24-20. Northern Ill., which could not even win the weak MAC this year, will be lucky to get into double figures.

Troy's defense is top notch (top 15) and the offense was really starting to gel (as the receivers made plays, freshman QB learned the system and DeWhitt Betterson surged for around 1,200 yards. The D leads the nation with INTs (25).

I say Troy's D will smother NIU - scoring twice, perhaps including apunt runback by the Trojans' freshman sensation punt returner - and the offense will continue improving by scoring 21 or more points. It will not be a blow-out, but Troy will shine in its firts bowl game, and with North Texas' win, put the SunBelt at 2-0 in this year's post-season.
Back to the top

I believe Troy wins, and N. Texas struggles against So. Miss.-hopefully they win a close game.
Back to the top

No bubble bursted here. I have followed NIU for quite some time being that I am a native of northern Illinois. That said, NIU has faced much stiffer competition than Troy. Sure Troy played LSU and Missouri (where are they now?) Week in and week out, NIU has a more difficult schedule. The MAC is an underrated conference that has produced a number of good teams. Look for NIU to put of 35. You heard it here.

Back to the top

Troy also beat Marshall in Huntington, and only a poor ref's call (same guy who made the bad call against Florida) kept Troy from beating South Carolina.

No one gives Troy credit because of its struggling offense this year. But defense wins games and in Troy's case, defense scores to win games. Troy's D (led by soon-to-be first-round draft pick Demarkus Ware) is remarkable to witness.

We'll see.

Back to the top

We shall see. I am giving you my insider prediction. I have followed NIU very closely for many years. I think this bowl game will be their coming out party.

Back to the top

This may be closer than folks think. I don't see NIU putting up a lot of points on Troy. My crystal ball see a low scoring game, because NIU may have it's way with Troy's offense.

I stay with the SunBelt here. 16-14 Troy. Decided by FG's.
Back to the top

Wow, everyone is really sticking with the home conference. I guess I am not too surprised because people still tend to view MAC teams a second rate despite recent success. It should be a good one. GO OWLS and GO HUSKIES!!!

Back to the top

To be honest owlfan1, I don't know a whole lot about NIU. I've been following Troy for a number of years and their staple has always been the defense. That's what I'm basing mine on.
Back to the top

NIU lost to teams with good defenses - but none were as good as Troy's. NIU likes to run the ball and they have a good running back. Troy has shut down the run in every game - then Troy's DBs usually have a field day - Look for Troy D to win - Troy 16- Niu 13.
8-)
Back to the top
Control functions: