Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Another one bites the dust

[glow=yellow,2,300]We lost another coach today John Bock (O-line coach) steped down.[/glow]

Offensive Line Coach John Bock Steps Down
Bock will join a private investment company

Dec. 16, 2004

John Bock, Florida Atlantic University's offensive line coach the last two seasons will step down from his position to pursue a position in a private business, announced FAU Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger, Thursday.

"FAU and its football team have been very fortunate to have John Bock as a mentor and offensive line coach over the past two years," said Schnellenberger. "The offensive line showed drastic improvement after he joined the program. All of us at FAU wish John the best as he undertakes a new vocation in very different surroundings."

Bock will join the staff of Builder Financial, a company that specializes in equity lending for residential construction, that is located in East Broward on Las Olas.

Bock joined Florida Florida Atlantic's staff in January of 2002, after six seasons in the NFL. While at FAU, he took an offensive line that was first decimated by injuries and developed them into a unit that helped the squad tally a 20-6 record over the last two seasons.

After two seasons of work under Bock's direction the line provided better quarterback protection, equating into the signal callers ending 2003 with a No. 2 pass efficiency rating. Three linemen earned post-season honors. In 2004, he started a true freshman at guard and made a position switch from guard to center after the returning center underwent knee surgery. Spring preparation proved valuable for Bock's linemen who saw the Owls stun Hawaii in 35-28 behind 298 passing yards and 147 on the ground. Just one week later FAU upended North Texas, which has represented the Sun Belt Conference at the New Orleans Bowl since 2001 including this week against Southern Mississippi.

His offensive line was instrumental with the Owls 5-0 start and 9-3 finish despite loosing two linemen, in the same week.

"I had a wonderful experience during my tenure at FAU," said Bock. "I was able to help players develop, see the program come online and personally watch the seniors graduate."

Bock, who played organized football for more than 21 years, including six seasons in the National Football League, lists Schnellenberger as one of the esteemed coaches he has played for. The list also includes Marv Levy, Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wannstedt and John Gruden.

The Crystal Lake, Illinois native was not drafted out of college, but proved hard work, discipline and technique are often more of a factor on the gridiron than innate talent. He used what he learned from some of the sports greatest coaches and he played for nine different offensive line coaches.

Bock's game preparation paid off in 1998 when he was ranked 3rd best pass blocking guard in the NFL allowing just .083 sacks per game. In over 20 starts, he allowed just 1.5 sacks. He also played four different positions in nine starts.
Back to the top

So who do we have to fill the void? I wonder if all of these resignations where really unexpected or Coach had a feeling and kinda prepared for it?
Back to the top

Coach Bock has been saying for awhile that he was doing a favor for Coach Schnell. He mentioned getting out a few times last year.

Coach Seiple? I don't know about his plans. The talk intensified near the end of the season among players, was that he would step down.
Back to the top

Has anyone heard of a replacement for Coach Bock and Sieple?

Back to the top
Control functions: