Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU possible practice violations

School may have violated NCAA rules

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

The NCAA is investigating allegations that Florida International University's football program might have violated rules concerning scheduling of offseason football workouts, according to a source close to the NCAA.

Asked about the investigation, FIU athletic director Rick Mello declined to specify the violation but confirmed there has been contact with the NCAA.

''The NCAA is looking at offseason workout activities involving our football program,'' Mello said. 'While I have been advised not to comment on any specifics at this time, I can say that no student-athletes' eligibility is in question.

``The NCAA allowed us to conduct our own internal review and self-report and we were very diligent and thorough with that process. Anything of this nature we take very, very seriously and we will act in an appropriate manner.''

The violation is believed to concern workouts that fell outside timing guidelines established by the NCAA. The NCAA has strict rules on numerous aspects of offseason programs, including the amount of contact drills during spring practice and the number of hours spent watching film.

Although potential punishment is unclear, offseason football workout violations are considered secondary infractions and likely would not result in crippling penalties or jeopardize FIU's attempt to move to Division I-A.

Don Strock, who has coached FIU since it started a football program three years ago, does not appear in jeopardy of losing his job. Mello said Strock, whose team finished 3-7 this past season, would definitely return in 2005.

''I'm really pleased with the progression of our football program under Don's leadership,'' Mello said.

FIU recently completed its first of two transition years in its move to Division I-A. The Golden Panthers averaged 10,095 fans per game – short of the 15,000-per-game requirement – and as a result, Mello said he's uncertain if FIU will need to repeat its first year of transition.

Mello is hoping the attendance rule is overturned by the NCAA in the next few months.

Otherwise, he said he might appeal to the NCAA's management council to waive the attendance requirement because FIU's first two games were canceled or postponed because of hurricanes.

''I'm confident when people look at this in the big picture that there will be some type of middle ground that can be reached,'' said Mello, adding he's not considering legal action.

Herald sports writer Michelle Kaufman contributed to this report.
Back to the top

FAU's NCAA Compliance officer and Coach Schnell went a few rounds with this one(practices) a couple of years ago. He is pretty good at staying on top of these issues.
Hopefully FIU can get theirs straightend out.

Another topic: The last paragraph is very interesting from AD Mello regarding the attendance issues. Almost every sentence from FAU's AD ends with possible litigation remarks. Mello's approach may not be all bad.
Back to the top

Another topic: The last paragraph is very interesting from AD Mello regarding the attendance issues. Almost every sentence from FAU's AD ends with possible litigation remarks. Mello's approach may not be all bad.

Yeah..but were from Boca we have to litigate.. it's in our blood…lol
Back to the top

Now that BARRY JACKSON (the reporter)… that was a well written artical… tells the facts witout giving to much of his own oppinion. Anyway, it will be curious to see what the FIU "internal" investigation turns up. Hopefully its nothing, I want to see FIU make the push to 1a also.

Back to the top

Yeah..but were from Boca we have to litigate.. it's in our blood…lol

That is sooooooo true. It's like "what's the flavor of the day" in the court system?
Back to the top
Control functions: