Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BYU - Courting Angelos

BYU - Courting Angelos

Brigham Young courts FAU's Angelos
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Florida Atlantic Athletic Director Craig Angelos has been contacted by Brigham Young University and invited to apply for the Cougars' vacant athletic director position.

The head of the search committee said BYU sent Angelos an e-mail after he was recommended by several people.

"He has been brought to our attention by several people that he would make a good candidate," said Fred Skousen, BYU's vice president of advancement. "We wrote him, inviting him to apply and letting him know how to apply."

The vacancy was created when men's Athletic Director Val Hale and women's Athletic Director Elaine Michaelis were fired in September.

Since then, a group of four administrators has led the athletic department. Some of those individuals may become candidates, Skousen said.

Angelos, who played baseball for the Cougars and graduated from BYU in 1987, acknowledged he received the e-mail but has not decided if he will pursue the job.

"I haven't talked to them or sent them anything," said Angelos, who has been at Florida Atlantic since July 2003. "I don't know what will happen in the future or enough about their situation and what they are looking for to know if I would be interested. We'll have to see how it goes."

However, if Angelos were to apply for the position, he would have an advantage over most external candidates for the position at BYU. The school's official job description states that preference is given to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the religious organization that runs BYU.

"That is one of the reasons I believe my name is out there," Angelos said. "There is such a small number of

people who fit that criteria who have a background in

athletic administration."

Angelos is believed to be one of just two ADs in Division I who are LDS members. The other is Utah Valley State's Mike Jacobsen.

However Utah Valley State, also in Provo, does not sponsor football ? the marquee sport at BYU. The Cougars won the national championship in 1984.

Skousen said Jacobsen also has been invited to apply.

Angelos was an assistant AD at Miami and Indiana before taking the job at FAU. He has been instrumental in FAU's move to Division I-A and acceptance of an invitation to the Sun Belt Conference.

The school would prefer a candidate who is familiar with

LDS principles because BYU has a strict code of conduct that requires students to abstain from alcohol, drugs and premarital sex.

BYU hopes to finalize its pool of applicants by January and have a new AD by March.

Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

I hope he stays and finishes what he started here at FAU. The man has some pull in the college world. I'm wondering if the attendance issue will come into play at all for him?
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

How does this effect us in the long run? There are people I know that would drive him to the airport today without any hesitation and some that would hate to see him go.

The one thing we need right now is stability and someone that can unite the entire athletic department.
IMO, Angelos need time to prove himself still.
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

How does this effect us in the long run? There are people I know that would drive him to the airport today without any hesitation and some that would hate to see him go.

The one thing we need right now is stability and someone that can unite the entire athletic department.
IMO, Angelos need time to prove himself still.

They can have him…and i'll even throw in Sydney Green too ;D.
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

I'm out of the loop being in new york but I thought he was doing a good job? what areas does he need to work on besides getting sydney a ticket to ohio?
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

I'm out of the loop being in new york but I thought he was doing a good job? what areas does he need to work on besides getting sydney a ticket to ohio?

You know about as much as most of us on this board. The only negatives I've heard has been the Sydney issues. All season he seems to be involved in something positive with FAU.
There may be something else I'm not aware of.

Speaking of Sydney, he's from UNLV. That's close enough to Utah. Maybe we can send him instead of Craig and just say Craig was too busy… ;D
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

Maybe Sydney should have had a one way ticket to Vegas. That way he could spend his free time admiring his retired jersey and reminiscing his glory days from UNLV.
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

Compared to our previous AD's, Angelos is a relative genius, although that's not saying much. He better not leave till we get this f'ing dome built, that's all I have to say.
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

When do you think we will find out what his decision is? Was there some kind of deadline to file the application…… I don't think he'll do it. He'll get far more attention here WHEN FAU makes it big… WHICH WE WILL….. :D
Back to the top

BYU - Courting Angelos

When do you think we will find out what his decision is? Was there some kind of deadline to file the application…… I don't think he'll do it. He'll get far more attention here WHEN FAU makes it big… WHICH WE WILL….. :D

The Church of the Latter Day Saints are very devoted to their members and their members are very devoted to their church. I would be absolutely shocked if BYU does not take Angelos and I'd be more shocked if Angelos turned it down.

Judging from what I know about the LDS church and BYU's dedication to that religion, I'd say Angelos is as good as gone. I'd start looking for a new AD already.

No joke.
Back to the top
Control functions: