Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Fundraising goals

FAU right to think big on fund-raising goals
By Palm Beach Post Editorial

HASH(0x105b124)

Friday, December 24, 2004

Florida Atlantic University, which is considering its most ambitious fund-raising campaign, should go for it ? and make sure the money goes for the right things.

Administrators stress that they are in the early stages of determining the needs and possibilities of what could be a $500 million campaign and the hallmark of President Frank Brogan's administration. So they are correct to focus first on efficiently conducting next month's feasibility study, which alone could take half a year.

Ann Paton, executive director of the fund-raising FAU Foundation, has directed similar drives at centuries-old Brown University and Dartmouth College. The half-billion figure, she said, may seem a logical progression from the five-year, $200 million effort that 40-year-old FAU concluded in 2001, having raised $156 million. But while billion-dollar campaigns are the standard among major universities such as the University of Florida, and was the level Brown was aiming at when she came to FAU in January, Ms. Paton said, "a young university like this one would need to do some deep feasibility work before doing a campaign bigger than anything that has happened" at FAU.

It's a good sign that FAU takes the exploration of its opportunity so seriously, even with the Corvette scandal still in the rearview mirror. Ms. Paton succeeded Carla Coleman, who resigned and later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor in the illegal channeling of $42,000 from the foundation to buy former President Anthony Catanese a going-away Corvette. He denied any wrongdoing and later reimbursed FAU for the money. Still, FAU is continually examining procedures to ensure that accountability measures are in place, Ms. Paton said, and "putting together policies that the university will be proud of and donors will be happy with."

With higher education in Florida becoming increasingly competitive, FAU correctly is placing scholarships for undergraduate students and fellowships for graduates high among the campaign's dozens of potential priorities. The same goes for attracting and supporting faculty and other goals that match objectives identified by the state Board of Governors. Key parts of the feasibility study must include athletics, in the context of a proposed new stadium and arena, and a major sore spot ? the role of football. A long-needed College of Engineering building also could be environmentally sensitive in construction and function.

Ms. Paton doesn't perceive fund-raising competition from schools outside FAU's service area. But since partners such as The Scripps Research Institute would be fund-raising at the same time, "that all needs to come into consideration." She probably is correct that people "see a brand-new leadership team and want to move forward." But the campaign's priority projects "will influence each college and campus across the university spectrum," such as the fast-growing Port St. Lucie campus. So she's also right to want to be sure what all the issues are, and deal with them effectively.

Back to the top

FAU Fundraising goals

I highlighted the subject of a few squabbles. One day these people will realize that football have given them MORE national attention thay they will ever realize!

There's still people outside of Florida who say we are located in Miami??
Back to the top

FAU Fundraising goals

I highlighted the subject of a few squabbles. One day these people will realize that football have given them MORE national attention thay they will ever realize!

There's still people outside of Florida who say we are located in Miami??

They better realize that football even in it's infancy stage has brought more National recognition to this university and I don't want to discredit what baseball has done as far as getting FAU recognized outside of Florida. Maybe this is part of Mr. Sidney Green problem.

Miami :o In time they won't make that mistake 8-)
Back to the top

FAU Fundraising goals

Please, I hope they don't refer to us as in Miami… how degrading would that be….. :)
Back to the top

FAU Fundraising goals

FAU Fundraising goals

When I talk to potential recruits here in Hillsborough County, they ask is that the one in Miami??? >:(

I don't see that being along term problem. Boca will hit the football map hard and soon! Just that Miami has the national media and most journalist are lazy in the geography area.
Back to the top

FAU Fundraising goals

As long as they know it FAU and not the other school, location should make a big difference - it only 30-miles.
Back to the top
Control functions: