Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Ugh....1-8.

Add topic

Men's Hoops loses again….this time to the Colgate Owl Killers. So we are now 1-8 with little hope for improvement in sight. Any chance Sidney gets what his 36-93 record at FAU suggests he deserves??

No, didnt think so either.

Something needs to be done, this program is quickly becoming one of the worst in America, if it isnt already there. Sad considering where we were headed just a few years ago. :'(
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

Ugh....1-8.

..there is no way they should be losing to Colgate at home. FAU is going to win no more than 3 or 4 games this year. I pray that the rumours of Angelos working on an extension for Green are false. If they are true lets hope Angelos leaves for BYU, because anyone else on the planet who takes over after him would have the sense to fire Green. Im usually the last one to get on a coaches back no matter the sport, but its clear hes never wanted to be here-lets hope at the end of this season(if not sooner) he gets his wish!
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

There is no way the athletic program can afford to fire Green during the season and pay a replacement at the same time. Even if they did, the problem is that none of the assistants on the staff are qualified to be a D-1 head coach (neither is Sidney for that matter). There are, however, many qualified assistant coaches currently at top programs that would love a chance to take the head job here. Anyone have any suggestions?
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

USA today ranked all of the Basketball teams today, I think we were #247, although we might have been #347…… anyway, we're behind such hoop powers as Harvard.
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

Something must be done and change is inevitable if FAU is serious about its basketball program - we need new direction and energy for this program to have any chance of getting back on it's feet.

I hate to say it, but I keep looking for us to be on the ESPN Bottom 10 list >:( it may not be to long if we keep this up.
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

Something must be done and change is inevitable if FAU is serious about its basketball program - we need new direction and energy for this program to have any chance of getting back on it's feet.

I hate to say it, but I keep looking for us to be on the ESPN Bottom 10 list >:( it may not be to long if we keep this up.

Do we enter the Sunbelt for basketball next year or the year after? If they plan on taking this coaching staff into a better conference, this program is in serious trouble.

I understand that the atheltic department probably claims that they cannot afford to fire him and pay 2 contracts(likely true), but how can they afford not to get rid of him if they are serious about basketball at FAU? Look at the attendance numbers. They are lucky if they get a few hundred people in the gym. I consider myself a pretty big Owls supporter, and I don't go to the games. Why should I? Besides being a pretty bad team, they are no the least bit fun to watch. I would only end up leaving angry that the entire world sees a problem, and yet the people in charge do nothing about it. I would love to go support FAU basketball, but not in this state. No team in America would keep a coach with this track record.

I was told a story once by someone that worked in the athletic department when Sidney was hired. That same year, Sidney was also up for the job at Stetson. They interviewed him first, and then we did. When they announced that we hired him, the guy got a call from a friend at Stetson who laughed and could not believe we hired this guy.

Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

One thing to keep in mind…..how many black head coaches do we have?? For those not in the know, that would be one: S****y. And how many assistant (paid) coaches do we have? That would be four (one each in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and track). Just a thought.
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

This season reminds me of the first season I watched as an FAU student ('99), if we lost by less than 20, we considered it a win. :P

With the team that bad, the only fun thing to do is pick on the other team, its coaches, and the refs.

Seems like beating UM at home was sooooo long ago.
Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

One thing to keep in mind…..how many black head coaches do we have?? For those not in the know, that would be one: S****y. And how many assistant (paid) coaches do we have? That would be four (one each in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and track). Just a thought.

Good point Ghostof and could very well be an issue, but in the same instance and its part of the age old problem in sports, everyone wants someone with experience, thus they past up on qaulified (blacks included) candidates, which is to bad really. I'm sure if some where given a chance many would succeed. Sometimes you have to take a chance and FAU right now could very well be in such a position especially if money is a problem, why not find someone with the qualification and not necessarily the experience. I am sure they are plenty of qualified people out there that would love a chance to coach at the college level that could do a great job if given the chance.

Back to the top

Ugh....1-8.

Good point Ghostof and could very well be an issue, but in the same instance and its part of the age old problem in sports, everyone wants someone with experience, thus they past up on qaulified (blacks included) candidates, which is to bad really. I'm sure if some where given a chance many would succeed. Sometimes you have to take a chance and FAU right now could very well be in such a position especially if money is a problem, why not find someone with the qualification and not necessarily the experience. I am sure they are plenty of qualified people out there that would love a chance to coach at the college level that could do a great job if given the chance.

Could race be a factor? Sure, but Sidney's record speaks for itself. If they are concerned about race, then there are plenty of qualifyed minority coaches out there, go get one of them. I still believe that the main(possibly only) reason Sidney is still around is financial.
Back to the top
Control functions: