Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU not in the Sun Belt next year?

Add topic

I thought FAU was coming to the Sun Belt in 2005-2006, but a report from the Atlantic Sun official website said that you will continue to play in their conference that season.

The article mentions the addition of the University of North Florida. Kennesaw State is also being added to the A-Sun.

"North Florida will be one of eleven members of the A-Sun in 2005-06. Competing with UNF will be Belmont, Campbell, East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic, Gardner-Webb, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville, Lipscomb, Mercer, and Stetson."
Back to the top

This is from the original press conference last year. I guess things haven't been worked out yet.

FAU Athletic Director, Craig Angelos
"Next year we talked about playing a Sun Belt schedule which would be about seven or eight games in football as we go through our two-year transition period from I-AA to I-A. Football will be playing a full schedule next year. It is still to be determined if the other sports will enter the Sun Belt in 2005 or 2006. We are trying to work with the Atlantic Sun Conference also to try to figure out the best time period for the other sports to move. Swimming does not have a Championship in the Atlantic Sun so it is possible that they could go in next year also. We will just have to see if it is '05 or '06.
Back to the top

Yes it is possible. The program can get worse….

I can see it now…. Vegas making odds on FAU vs Kennesaw State

Kstate -12

Back to the top

I thought FAU was coming to the Sun Belt in 2005-2006, but a report from the Atlantic Sun official website said that you will continue to play in their conference that season.

The official report from SBC is that FAU enter the Sun Belt in 2005 in football, and 2006-07 all sports.
Back to the top

...they let Georgia State leave in all sports right away and FAU was not allowed the same luxury. Its too bad we should be playing in the Sun Belt in 05-06 year instead of 06-07.
Back to the top

will be lucky to have a d1 program by 06-07
Back to the top

They LET Ga. State leave in all sports, the would let us leave for about $200,00 I believe. Atleast $100,000 at the lowest & we don't have the money for that.
We will play in the "A-Shame" as they call it on the GSU message board (CAA Zone) for another year and we will have to play Kenn. State & UNF home and away next year with those games counting in the conference standings even though neither school will even be D-I for a few more years. Nice for them huh.
Go Owls!
Back to the top

This is just my opinion. If we were a winning program we'd be out of there. My guess is that because of the losing and position of the program with Sydney's contract, the money will be well spent somewhere else. There's porbably boosters walking around with that kind of money in their pockets at the football concession stand!
Back to the top
Control functions: