Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jan 10 NCAA BOD Meeting: Attendance

This article is all over the place with it's stance. Looks like there are some very good arguements on both sides. I hope our side has stronger support.

It's a long one. Read on:
http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/ncaa_news_online/2005/01_03_05/front_page_news/4201n02.html
Back to the top

Division I-A Membership Standards
Approved April 2002
Effective August 1, 2004

*An institution shall sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, including a minimum of six sports for men and eight sports for women

*Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grant-in-aids per year over a rolling two-year period

*Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grant in aids or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs

*Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football games against members of Division I-A

*During the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, schedule and play at least four regular season home football games against members of Division I-A. Thereafter, the institution shall play at least five Division I-A regular season home games

*Annually average at least 15,000 in actual attendance for all home football games

The attendance is the only thing a university has no control over and should not even be part of the equation, the only ones making a big deal of it are the larger conferences. Community support can be achieved on different levels and financial support is one of them which doesn't always translate into attendance, but their support help an institution build the neccessary fund base to provide scholarships support to potential students.

They bring up the point of the "money games" the smaller schools play, yet they fail to mention why the larger school schedule these game to begin with.

R.C. Johnson, athletics director at the University of Memphis, believes that an institution's commitment to being Division I-A should be measured financially, not by the number of people in the stands at game time.
"If some school is spending the dollars for 85 scholarships, that's a pretty good commitment," he said. "It would seem to me that if you make the commitment financially for your staffing, for your scholarships and to have an adequate number of home games against other I-A opponents, that's pretty good. I don't know that attendance really determines whether you are a viable I-A player."

Johnson believes providing a financial declaration with scholarship and budgetary information and scheduling an adequate number of home games against I-A opponents should be sufficient for I-A membership.

If an institution cannot draw the fans to games to help support them financially then the financial burden should be the schools problem to deal with and shouldn't be a factor at what level they chose to compete in, as long as they keep up with it's commitment to play at that level.

:P
Back to the top

If normal guys like us can ask that question without any real answers , then why can't the powers-that-be see the hipocricy involved?
Back to the top

HEY! >:( Who you callin normal? ;D

But seriously, this attendance thing has to go, what website can we go to to get imediate information after their little meeting?

I'm getting the shakes from not watching FAU play… ???
Back to the top

We all are going through withdrawals. The Bowl games are keeping me sane for awhile. Then I'll freak out. I probably watch Poker on ESPN!!!! :-[

The NCAA website is linked in the top post. It should hit immediately if it's addressed that day. They may just table the discussion till later in the year. AGAIN.
Back to the top

That would so "P" me off man. We cant wait that long. I'd like to know whether this attendance bull is gonna hugely effect us or not. It would really suck if we were held back in transitioning again. Its such a hot topic they should address it ASAP… :(
Back to the top

They probably realize they have to do something to stabalize some of the weaker conferences without causing to much of a disruption overall, so them taking time to evaluation the situation as a hole make sense - to make sure they get it right this time.

I agree thought, lets get it over with already!!
Some school will always draw more fans then others, get over it.

Back to the top

Here's another article from The Post's Marcus Nelson on the attendance issue:

http://www.palmbeachpo…5/01/07/a7c_FAU_0107.html

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

NCAA website news and calendar: Let's keep our fingers crossed.. ::)

Read On:
http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/ncaa_news_online/2005/01_03_05/news_digest/#1
Back to the top

We are not ALONE in watching the NCAA meeting this weekend! If these numbers are correct……….

La. Monroe avg. attendance 14,717 in four home games
Eastern Mich. avg. attendance 14,387 in five home games
Ball St. avg. attendance 14,300 in five home games
Middle Tenn. St. avg. attendance 13,388 in five home games
Kent State avg. attendance 12,877 in five home games
Buffalo avg. attendance 12,185 in five home games
San Jose State avg. attendance 6,479 in five home games
Back to the top
Control functions: