Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Middle Tennessee @ FAU Jan 21st, 22nd

Add topic

And Lynn University Jan 23rd

I'm talking about hockey folks. With the NHL in lockdown, we get our hockey in other ways.

Middle Tennessee is really good. We are 28-1-1 and we just got through sweeping a two-game series against Tennessee-Knoxville this past weekend 10-3 and 5-2.

http://www.mtsuhockey.com/
Back to the top

Thanks for the alert. You're right about the ice hockey club offering a good product for hockey fans during the NHL lockout (or any other time.) The Owls, who have very handsome hockey jerseys, just finished a tough road trip to the Rocky Mountain west, where they beat Northern Colorado, but lost to the University of Colorado (twice) and the University of Wyoming. I think that makes the Owls' record 16-3-1, or something close to that. The high-altitude play might have affected them. Nonetheless, they have a good chance to make, or at least challenge for, a playoff berth in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) tournament in Pittsburgh in February.

I live in Colorado Springs and drove up to Boulder (110 miles) to see one of the games at the University of Colorado. The Owls lost, 4-2, but it was a lot of fun.

The president and general manager is Beau Lavender, an FAU student. Home rink is Incredible Ice, 3299 Sportsplex Drive, Coral Springs 33065. The number of the arena is 954-341-9956. Attendance is greatly appreciated.

The website for the Owls Ice Hockey Club (not NCAA intercollegiate status) is

http://www.fauicehockey.com/

The Owls' schedule is at:

http://www.fauicehockey.com/schedule.php

Owls' hockey jerseys are for sale, by the way. Contact Beau Lavender (contact info is on the website). The club gets very limited money from the university, and depends upon fund-raising for the rest.

Some other key web sites:

Latest team rankings for the four ACHA divisions (rankings determine playoff invitations):

http://www.achahockey.org/league.php?scriptName=LEAGUEINFO&leagueID=7880&leagueInfoID=14167

ACHA home page:

http://www.achahockey.org/league.php?scriptName=HOME&leagueID=7700

This hockey club is one of the best kept secrets at FAU.
Back to the top

I think Middle Tennessee can say the same. I just saw my first MT hockey game this past weekend and look forward to watching us take on Vanderbilt in a couple of weeks.

Check this out. According to the ACHA's Top 200 Player Rankings, Middle Tennessee has nine guys ranked in the Top 25.

http://www.achahockey.org/league.php?scriptName=TOPSCORER&teamID=&sportID=2&leagueID=7880&divisionID=15613&seasonID=2 167

This is an astounding hockey team that has been killing teams left and right.

This team opened up it's schedule with 20-0 and 24-0 wins over Belmont and have cruised defeating teams by several goals including on the road at Vandy 14-0, at IUPUI by scores of 19-0 and 13-2, and at home against Louisville 23-0 and 29-2.
Back to the top

Great info GrayOwl: I have lost touch with hockey all together the past couple of years - The Fau home site looks like it's an updated version, the old site was pretty dead and non-active for the most part, could be that the coach resigned or quit last year.

I miss playing actually :'( May have to try and catch a game this weekend combined with the all-star game.
Back to the top

Hey guys…

The series this weekend with MTSU will indeed be some great hockey!! They are indeed a very good team and I have had some nice conversations with their Coach. The stats are impressive, I am not sure if there are other players ahead of them because the ACHA page is not accurate…note: none of our players are on there, even though I have entered their goals when scoring games through the site (we have a player with close to 30 goals…and he isn't showing up on there)…

We also have some games remaining against Florida State, Lynn, Florida, and Embry-Riddle all at home…all games start at 9pm …admission is only $5 (FAU students free) … if you want any information, email [email protected] , please be sure to put "hockey" in the subject (I get way too much spam). Please come out and support the team, we rely on ticket sales to support the team, we have a lot of expenses and not much income. We also have t-shirts, hats, pucks, polos, jerseys, and game programs for sale!

Thanks,
Lawrence Lavender "Beau"
President/General Manager
FAU Ice Hockey Club
www.fauicehockey.com
Back to the top

The ACHA playoffs – just in case the Owls qualify, and they're looking good – are in Pittsburgh, Pa., March 2-5.
Back to the top

Photos of some of the FAU Ice Hockey Club players, as well as a story about the team, can be found at this web address:

http://www.collegepublisher.com/universitypress/main.cfm/include/detail/storyid/836474.html

Great jerseys!
Back to the top

I remember back in 1988 or so, the hockey team was primarily a team playing league play, so it has come a long way to where it is now. I hope that the team continues its success - if football get's the stadium on campus and our transition to 1-A status continues, I can see that Hockey may just get that chance to become a 1-A member an an official "Owl" team.

Good Luck!!
Back to the top

We certainly would like to do that…but athletics needs more money to make that happen!

My qoute in the paper was editing in the part I was speaking about that subject… I said, "There are obstacles in the way, title 9 and budget issues within athletics, but I would need to defer that to athletics to answer those more specifically…" that got shortened to me thinking title 9 was the only thing in our way, which I know not to be the case…I hope Ms. Dawson doesn't kill me :)

Thanks, those jerseys are 100% custom!!! Come to our games, we need the support and we have some cool stuff available at the games too!

Lawrence Lavender
President/GM
FAU Ice Hockey Club
Back to the top

I remember back in 1988 or so, the hockey team was primarily a team playing league play, so it has come a long way to where it is now. I hope that the team continues its success - if football get's the stadium on campus and our transition to 1-A status continues, I can see that Hockey may just get that chance to become a 1-A member an an official "Owl" team.

Good Luck!!

Denver University has been the cream of the crop in Ice Hockey in NCAA Division 1. The problem facing schools like Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic to get hockey teams at that level is not so much affording scholarships as much as it would be complying with Title IX. Most of the schools out there that have superb NCAA-sanctioned hockey teams either have non-Division 1 football or no football at all.

I suppose Division 1 football can be very expensive to maintain. I still don't think that it's a money issue with MTSU.
Back to the top
Control functions: