Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

branding update..

News from 1/21/05
Last week, the final round of focus group sessions?which included students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members?were held on the revised proposed marks (see below). The designers will incorporate the feedback and make a final recommendation to the University. The new marks will be unveiled in a public ceremony this spring.

These images were updated from the previous ones.
Back to the top

branding update..

I also found this to be interesting.. Here's some of the comments from the first examples. I got it from FAU's Branding Site…

ABOUT THE SEAL
"The torch/flame in the seal is very hard to see"

"It is very hard to read the university name in a circle"

"There needs to be more of a distinction between the waves, torch and sun burst"

"Our colors have always been blue and silver… maybe keep the red but lose the gold"

"The flame looks like a sail boat"

"Reserve the seal for official documents and create a new university logo for wider use"

ABOUT THE "OWL"
"We should be the Fighting Owls. not blue waves or simply owls"

"What does a wave have to do with baseball?"

"Keep the Owls! Tradition is important!"

"The owl has represented FAU for many years and the school shouldn't abandon it"

"I like Blue Wave… it says something about our location near the ocean"

"How about sharks for our teams.. that would be cool!"

"I look forward to a more consistent visual presence!"

Back to the top

branding update..

I still say that none of the offerings have any "WOW" factor. They all look static and some with the owl face look childish to me. Let's hope they tweak the heck out of them….
Back to the top

branding update..

branding update..

Don't like any of them - People in marketing are being way to secretive with the new logos that will be coming out.

I heard that they where trying to talk coach into using a gray helmet for football, without success - looks like the football with the owl is a thing of the past as well :'(

Webster won't be carring the new line of FAU gear - they are not licensed to have Nike stuff. Sports Authority won't care our stuff, saying there is no demand for FAU gear and if they do it will be very limited. This could be a good time to bombard them with request.

Back to the top

branding update..

I saw this myself last night in the web sight and was still kinda shocked by what they came up with and I agree about the tweeking. I hate to see the football with the owl blown out. They could have used it for all sports. Regardless, it will really take some getting used to.
Back to the top

branding update..

The university logo stuff looks ridiculous and cheap. Why have a wave and even more important what is up with the @#*% flame? This isn't the olympics. Sorry but this a pathetic attemtp. They spend thousands of dollars on this crap. Who is making these designs? Possibly some highschool kid working there after school who happens to be the boss's nephew. A complete waste of money. Now this is a nasty looking owl. GO OWLS!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

branding update..

I agree, they spent thousands of dollars to come up with stuff that IMO sucks... The owls do look childish, if it looked somewhat cool people would by our gear just cause it looked cool, they should have had the owl head angled down and to the side, or have the claws ripping into the logo. To me this just sucks and I am not impressed at all. Thousands were spent on a crappy logos that I dont think had much time spent on them. So far I have heard only negative feedback on the new logos. The only silver lining I see is that these are the "official" logos and merchandise will have all sorts of different designs on them.
Back to the top

branding update..

Nice one Owlfan1, you should submit it for the heck of it. They should have had a contest open to the students to submit ideas. I'm sure they have some art students that would absolutly blow you away with some great owl drawings.
Back to the top

branding update..

bighooter is right in that they are "official" logos, from what Brogan is saying, he is trying to unify all the departments including the athletic department and give the university a clear identity. I am not sure how much freedom that will give the athletic teams to have a different logo.

They are suppose to have an "Owl" with a more vicious striking pose ???? no details, but this could be what they use for the sports teams.

Expect a new look for the "Owls" this year.
Back to the top

branding update..

Yikes! The new ones might be slightly better than the first round (horrible!). But they still are insufficient. Who in the word are these designers and how much are they getting paid? I hope none of my contributions went to them. Keep the pressure on, guys.
Back to the top
Control functions: