Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

L Blustein: High Marks for Recruiting Class

Larry B is a very knowledegable guy. He travels the state evaluating talent. He's been at this a long time.
Here is his football site: http://mb20.scout.com/ffloridakidsfrm2

Best class yet faces challenges

28 seniors leave as Div. I-A looms

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted February 3 2005

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger used National Signing Day to keep fans' expectations in check.

"We are not going to win the national championship this year," Schnellenberger cautioned, "and you can quote me on that."

But Schnellenberger, who said FAU could be in the hunt for that title as early as 2008, hopes the 23 players who committed to FAU on Wednesday will be a key part of that effort.

"On paper we appear to have put together the best group that we've had," Schnellenberger said.

FAU needed quality and quantity, because it is replacing 28 seniors, joining the Sun Belt Conference and completing its move from Division I-AA to I-A this season.

"This is overall the best, most talented class they have had," said Larry Blustein, who runs FloridaKids.us and evaluates the state's high school prospects. "They are moving up to I-A, and the kids they got show that."

Blustein said the two recruits that define the class are running back Roderick Ferguson from Deerfield Beach and offensive lineman Kevin Miller from Northeast. "Those two could have gone somewhere else, but they are staying in the area and should have an impact right away," Blustein said.

Ferguson (5 feet 8, 188 pounds) had 1,025 yards and 15 touchdowns last year for Deerfield Beach. Miller (6-3, 304) will help shore up an offensive line that was depleted by injuries and graduation.

"Ferguson is a real talent. They got a good one. Miller is good enough to be a starter next year," Blustein said.

While FAU got six players from Broward County, the Owls also were able to attract five from the west coast of the state and a few north of Interstate 4, which had been the northern boundary of its territory.

One of those is wide receiver Cortez Gent (6-2, 170) of Chiefland, a small school near Gainesville.

"FAU got hold of a sleeper," said Gent's coach Sam Holland. "He'll step on campus and make an impact. He has a whole different speed when the lights get turned on." Gent was an all-state player in basketball, baseball and football, and the Gainesville Sun's 1A-3A football Player of the Year.

LOUISVILLE ADDED

Schnellenberger announced that FAU will play Louisville this season, adding another high-level team to its ambitious schedule.

FAU will travel to play the Cardinals Oct. 1. The Owls open the season at Kansas on Sept. 2 and then host Oklahoma State Sept. 9. They have seven games against Sun Belt opponents.

"We had to sign up the best teams we could find to play us," said Schnellenberger, who while acknowledging the national title will not happen in 2005, said the Owls will contend for the Sun Belt title.

FAU still needs one more game to complete its 11-game schedule, and Schnellenberger said he will be looking for a winnable game.

"There was some pressure to add another [tough] team, but I think that would be too much," Schnellenberger said.

Ted Hutton can be reached at [email protected].
Back to the top

It's good to hear that some of these players can step in right away.
Back to the top

I assume that Howard still has a scholarship or two to hand out. What's the deal with these two locals?

3 Ricky Jean-Francois 6'3" / 240 Carol City (Miami, FL)
39 Matt Lewis 6'2" / 245 Mainland (Daytona Beach, FL)

defensive end rankings from collegefootballnews.com
Back to the top

Don't know about Matt Lewis but Ricky Jean-Francois is currently torn between LSU and USF.
Back to the top

Matt Lewis has now signed with Indiana.
Back to the top
Control functions: