Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Seniors are Honored

FAU Football Honors Seniors

Jared Allen Named Team's MVP

Feb. 8, 2005

Five years ago this month, Florida Atlantic University signed its first football class. Tuesday night head coach Howard Schnellenberger and his staff honored those seniors and the players who have made football at Florida Atlantic a reality at the 2004 Football Awards Banquet.

"This banquet is a bittersweet moment in time for all of us who started this journey," said Schnellenberger. "It is sweet because of the great accomplishments of this senior class. It's bitter because they now leave us. But, they have left the program in the good hands of the players who will follow their lead and who will carry this program to national prominence. We will be forever indebted to the belief, strength and loyalty they brought to our program."

Jared Allen walked away with the team's MVP honors after a four-year career that saw the Oklahoma native start all but three games and tally a career record of 25-19. His leadership and character were as integral to the team's success as his national ranking for passing efficiency. He led FAU's charge to a No. 4 national ranking in 2003 and again captured the nation's attention by orchestrating come-from-behind victories over Hawaii and North Texas, both perennial bowl participants, to open the 2004 season.

Allen's accomplishments were extensive for a fledgling program, and many of those accomplishments would not have been possible without the offensive line efforts. Senior lineman Kevin Fischer earned the team's Offensive MVP honor after playing in every game during his four-year career. Fischer came to FAU as a tight end before making the transition.

The squad's Defensive MVP Award was given to Chris Laskowski; another leader who, like Allen and Fischer, played in every game during his four-year career. Laskowski led the team in tackles a year ago and finished second in 2004 79. His four-year career saw him play both defense and special teams and conclude his time at FAU with 285 tackles. Laskowski not only represents the team in nearly every phase, but he also exemplified the term student-athlete by earning the team's Student-Athlete-of-the-Year award.

Like Laskowski, Mark Myers came to FAU from Rockledge High School and walked onto the Owls team in 2000 only to earn a scholarship later. Myers was awarded the 2004 Special Team MVP, award after handling nearly all of the kicking duties. He scored 90 points in 2004 and ended the year 20-of-28 in field goals. He finished with 43 career field goals and 100 extra points.

The kicking game traditionally gives the credit to the kicker, however much of Myers success began with the long snapper Dewain Akerblom. Akerblom worked the entire summer leading up to the 2004 campaign and shouldered the heavy burden of replacing a long snapper who had been the epitome of consistency. Akerblom rose to the challenge in 2004 and earned the team's Most Improved Player Award.

The final two awards are honors that most teams do not recognize. However, FAU understands their importance and honors them for their importance to the squad. The first is the Non-Scholarship MVP award and it was given to Mike Brown. Brown earned the role of starting punter in 2004 and proved flawless. He had 56 punts for 2,346 yards and a 41.9 average. His longest was 66 yards.

Shomari Earls, who led the squad in tackles with 81, was the lone new starter to the defensive unit earned the team's Bone Award. The bone award is also a weekly honor bestowed to the individual who had the game's biggest hit. Earls entered the season as a player who was capable of big hits, and he lived up to the challenge.

While eight major awards were given, team members were also award their varsity letters and certificates of participation. FAU President Frank T. Brogan served as the banquet's guest speaker, appropriate after becoming the team's "Biggest Fan" and making nearly every game.

2005 Awards–Award Sponsor

Bone Award–Howard Guggenheim
Non-Scholarship MVP–FAU National Alumni Association
Most Improved Player–Contemporary Services
Student Athletic Award–Lee and Kathy Griffith
Special Teams MVP–Balisteri Realty
Defensive Player MVP–Mr. and Mrs. Scott Levine
Offensive Player MVP-Mr. and Mrs. Peter Lo Bello and Family
Team MVP–Jim and Shannon Vandevere

Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

Seniors are Honored

Congrads to all Seniors and award winners, good luck in your future endeavors.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

any mention of the stadium last night? any updates?
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

Thier still saying 2007
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

Thier still saying 2007

Did you notice coach said something to the affect of "and it will PROBABLY be a domed stadium".
Do you think there has been some reassesment?
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

Speaking of honoring seniors, does anyone know what ever happened to our first starting QB, Garret Jahn? I remember hearing that he was still involved with the program. Was he honored at the banquet last night? If not he should have been.
As far as my opinion of the stadium goes…It will be complete as soon as the Greek Housing on campus is done. 15 years tops!
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

I believe everyone heard what he said about the dome,even the Prez made some mention and IMO they are closer then we think. They both had a very confident tone in there voice.
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

I recall something about Jahn being written in an article this year. I think he graduated last year and either left with one year of eligibility or else his eligibility was up due to transferring to FAU. I am not entirely sure. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

sheeesh!!!!! Teambeer….

I was at FAU since 95 and they still haven't got their thumb out of thier butts re: greek housing…

its never gonna happen… I was a Sammy 8-) and all we ever heard was talk talk talk and no action..

I hope to God they don't play the stadium like that….

I know they wont, this is too much of a money maker not drunk frat party maker… ;D
Back to the top

Seniors are Honored

Did you notice coach said something to the affect of "and it will PROBABLY be a domed stadium".
Do you think there has been some reassesment?

I caught that too!!!!!! We started talking about it at my table as if they may be reassesing the dome vs open air. Afterwards some players and an a few Alumni made some comments about maybe building something for expansion later. But nothing from anyone in the official capacity.
Either way like Talon said, the conviction of their voices left me feeling very confident it will happen one way or another! ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: