Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Returning Owls: Football Thoughts

Looking and listening to all the enthusiasm of the returners at the banquet really brought things into perspective; Contrary to the rumors of our demise, we are only reloading and not rebuilding.

I can't really call the QB just yet. Coach Schnell made a comment to QB Embick about "no pressure at all this year huh son" as he presented him with his Junior player award. I wonder does that mean the job is his to lose. Hmmmmm.

The RB's are not set but Manley looks very trim and fit. TB in D James and D Walker may just fend off Fergurson for the starting spot. They again…they may not.. :D

There's a Crissinger-Hill ball hawk-type in 6'3 180lb Chris Bonner. He have great seperation and will catch the ball too if it's in his area. But Simeon and Porter-Isom aren't ready to give up the reign.

TE Dangston is HUGE! He should make a few take notice as a true TE this year.

The D-line is the mix tape in this equation. Can't call anything till after the first practice/scrimmage.

The CB's are set from last year's starters. The safeties have two guys who started at least one game last year and played in almost every one. SS Amaya is back from the lost year due to a knee injury. That group has some experience.

I'll go out early and say that Shomari Earls will get the Defensive MVP. The kid is a stud! He led the team this year in tackles and had the Bone Award(Hardest Hit vs Hawaii) as a Junior. He looks like he's close to 250lbs and stands 6'4. Dad says he can still dunk a basketball with two hands standing underneath the basket!
He will lead this defense.

Any other thoughts out there.. ;D
Back to the top

O.G. that was a very special night and I'm just glad we could make it down. we really enjoyed the evening as I believe everybody did. You could'nt help but come away with a good strong feeling for what has been and what will happen at that school. Brogan's speech was from the heart, I mean the guy graduated from there just how great can that be to come back to your school and become the Pres. He loves athletics so for all sports that has to be a very good thing. The Coach's speech was fantastic (they could have lost the music while he was talking) and drove home a strong message to the next group.

Props to the seniors where ever they go and do. I'm sure they will do great things. They will be missed, but there accomlishments will be remembered for a very long time. I like the riding the Comet quote Schnelly uses, can't you imagine what the next four years will be like.

Back to the top

I really enjoyed myself. I spent the night in the area and drove back today.
At the banquet I spent awhile talking with Mrs Schnell. She is the best cheerleader anyone can have in their corner!
Then made my way over to chat with the mothers of Laz, Myers and Allen. McKinley and Sloans parents among others, are off the chain. :)
Just some of the original groups of parent who will never be replaced.

Coach Schnell,Prez Brogan and AD Angelos will take this program onto the next level with a bang!
Coach with his speaking and charisma. Prez with his political clout and the AD with his "Big Time" way of thinking.

I watched how well USF rose through the ranks with only one famous name attached to their program. Former Oklahoma/Tampa Bay Bucs, Leroy Selmon.
Now multiply that times three plus have the same or MORE, of a financial backings!
Back to the top

I would have loved to stay but we had to drive back last night.
Your right about Mrs Schnell she tells it like it is. She's looks like a Mom when she gets around the guys, always finding time to say how there are doing. Hats off to those parents in particular, because without there support of those seniors this would have had a much tougher road.
I know what you mean about USF, they took off like a rocket also. I believe this program was very luckyt to have the events happen the way they did especially with bringing on The Pipe.
Back to the top

:'( for missing my first Banquet, which proved to be a memorable one, which I figured it would be.

It sounds like the players that are returning are ready put their own footprint on this program. I suspect there will some tough battles for just about every positions this year and I would think that the coaches put it out there to the players - no position is set - you will have to earn your spot and the RS'ed players and the upcoming freshmans will put some pressure on some of the returning players - competetion is always a strong motivator.

I give props to all the coaches as well, It's amazing how the enthusiasm that Brogan, Angelos and Coach show, has a way of working it's way down to the players, its contagious, heck it has a way of working it way to fans as well. Everybody involved with this program seems to share the same enthusiasm.

Back to the top

I'm very excited to see Dareus finally get a full season at TE so that he can prove to all of us that he is the real deal. The guy is a hoss which means he can block too, unlike "smokey", our old TE.
I am also looking forward to the battle for the QB position and I think it will be a much discussed topic over the coming months. My money is on McKinson Souverian, 1. His game is a direction I don't mind the program going in. 2. I really like saying his name, that's a sign of a good QB! and 3. I've been telling my friends since this time last year that he is the future of FAU football and I would like to be right for once.
just my two cents.
Back to the top

Darius has all of the tools to be a real stud. Hopefully he can get it done on the field. I am interested to see how the QB battle unfolds. Our offense isn't really built for a scrambling QB who can run the option and I don't see coach mixing it up at all. There is nothing worse than having a fast, athletic QB who has to change his game and become a dropback passer. Hopefully coach will find a way to fit Haitian Vick in the game plan without reigning him in too much. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I agree with you beer on Darius. The QB spot is going to be very interesting with the newbi coming in also, but what a problem to have.
Back to the top

Daruis is more of a true TE then Hill was and does have what it take, he now has the chance to make some noise of his own - the new kid will put a little pressure on him. The depth at the QB position is sickning - Embick, Hansen, Souverain, Garrison, Brown and there are a few others. Hansen may supprise a few come camp, how the situation with Souverain developes will be interesting.

The RB & WR positions should also provide some nice battles.
Back to the top
Control functions: