Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Angelos pulls out of BYU AD race

Good news!
Back to the top

Did you get this news from an article? Do you have a link? I would like to read more!
Back to the top

That is good news. Post the link when it's official. I wonder what helped with his decision?

The chance to be a part of something big at FAU and FINISH what he help start or…….

http://sltrib.com/weather
Back to the top

But he did give this up…

for this. Until further notice of course… 8-)

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

That is very good news, so things aren't as bad as some NEGATIVE TYPES are trying to convey or if they where he may have just bailed.

Back to the top

But O.G. think about this, yes he gave up the stadium, the great program, the nice facilities and so on. The difference, he had nothing to do that

On the other hand here he gets to be a part of history to be remembered, to be a part of a new stadium, to build not only football but other programs, to build football with one of the greatest coach's of all time, to have a President that is willing to give him solid support and finally to do something that would set him apart from his peers.
Back to the top

That is a good point Talon. If he is getting offers from the likes of BYU imagine where he will be in 4 or 5 years if FAU grows according to plan. He could be setting himself for one of the top jobs in the country at a school like UF, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, or Ohio State. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

On the other hand here he gets to be a part of history to be remembered, to be a part of a new stadium, to build not only football but other programs, to build football with one of the greatest coach's of all time, to have a President that is willing to give him solid support and finally to do something that would set him apart from his peers.

I guess I won't get that AD by my name after all ;) maybe I can be an AAD ;D

This could very well be why he stayed - the potential is there. Every thing about his current position has potential written all over it and has a lot of uncertainties as well. The momentum that has been building the past couple of years does have and will have some influence on what will happen in the next few years to come - I beleive he is feeling the excitement that has been building and is relunctant to leave before he has a chance to see it through, for once big money may not have been enough to sway his discission, if it was even a factor in the first place, only he knows.

If and when this budget get turned around he will be the savior that turned things around and will set him up for whatever position he wants, everybody will be winners in the ends.
Back to the top

If the whole FAU program does what we believe it will and it will. Dr. "D" could be not only be at one of the top athletic programs in the country but in fact he could already be at one - FAU. With his ambitious dreams he can easily turn to reality, Icaqn see FAU athletics in 4 to 5 years adding at least one more sport and expanding others. In ten years who knows, gymnastics, mens track and field. With a Dome Stadium the options are endless.

Bytor, one vote here for AAD from me LOL
Back to the top

I guess we have to keep him now huh? ;)
True points Talon, others will come calling again when he completes this transition :(

Y. might not go far for AD

Florida Atlantic's Angelos withdraws from consideration
By Dick Harmon
Deseret Morning News

PROVO ? If you're betting the odds, Peter Pilling and Tom Holmoe, both senior athletic administrators at BYU, are favorites to be hired as BYU's new athletic director when a decision is announced in the next two weeks.
So it was at the start, so it may end at the finish line.
The most qualified candidate on the board, Florida Atlantic University athletic director Craig Angelos, withdrew from consideration for BYU's job search on Friday.
"After meeting with university officials, it became apparent that it was not the right fit for either party at this time nor was the timing right," said Angelos on Friday in a news release.
"I support BYU and wish them nothing but success in their athletic endeavors. They truly are a first-class university," he added.
Angelos is a native of Utah and attended BYU while playing baseball there. He has been involved in intercollegiate athletics at the NCAA level for 15 years, including stops at the NCAA, University of Miami and Indiana University. He has been athletic director at FAU since the summer of 2003.
BYU vice president Fred Skousen asked Angelos to apply for the job in January. Similar requests were extended to former NFL players Gifford Nielsen and Vai Sikahema, now TV sports personalities in big markets. Both declined to go after the job, although Sikahema interviewed by phone a week ago to "experience the process."
On Thursday, BYU basketball coach Steve Cleveland squelched rumors surrounding his status and interest in the athletic director job when he told reporters after practice he had no interest in any employment other than basketball coach.
Other candidates who may have their names in the final mix include former hospital administrator Jeff Bills, from Reno, Nev., who played baseball for the Cougars in the 1970s, and former Cougar football player Bart Oats, now an attorney living on the East Coast. BYU did ask several faculty members to interview for the job, including Dr. Craig Poole, the successful women's track and field head coach.
In September 2004, Pilling and Holmoe joined associate athletic directors Brian Santiago and Janie Penfield in running the day-to-day administration of BYU's athletic department under the direction of Skousen, advancement vice president.
This ad hoc administration has overseen consolidation of the men's and women's athletic department since the dismissal of athletic directors Val Hale and Elaine Michaelis. Decisions have also included dismissal of eight employees, including head football coach Gary Crowton and volleyball coach Karen Lamb, and the hiring of their replacements.
"There is so much on the table right now," said one BYU athletic department employee, who has met regularly with the committee. "It is so deep and the breadth is wide. I don't know how it will get done by an outsider, who'd take more than a year to understand it all."

Back to the top
Control functions: