Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Green on his way out?

Add topic

Brogan says Green, program need evaluation

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted March 1 2005

Another losing season could have cost Florida Atlantic coach Sidney Green his job.

Green said he wanted to meet with FAU President Frank Brogan and Athletic Director Craig Angelos on Monday morning to work out a new contract so he could begin recruiting for next season, but Brogan did not give Green a vote of confidence, saying the program needs to be evaluated after the Owls finished 10-17 and failed to qualify for the Atlantic Sun tournament for the second time in three seasons.

"Personally, as a fan and as president, I am disappointed," Brogan said about the team's continued lack of success. "As president, I have an obligation to do more than be disappointed."

Green is 54-121 in six seasons, a winning percentage of .308, and has had just one season with more than 10 wins, that the 19-11 2001-02 team that won the A-Sun tournament and made FAU's only appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

"One appearance in NCAA Tournaments does not a history book write," Brogan said. "I am a big fan of Sidney Green. He is a fine man. This is not about Sidney Green being inadequate, it's about how to make the program successful."

Angelos said at the start of the basketball season he was trying to sign Green to a long-term contract, such as those worked out with football coach Howard Schnellenberger, baseball coach Kevin Cooney and softball coach Joan Joyce, but no deal was finalized.

"I want to get this done immediately to quiet down certain whispers," Green said about getting a new contract. "I want to get out there and upgrade our talent."

Back to the top

Green on his way out?

It DEFINITELY looks like it.
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

i've always said green is a nice guy, bad coach. hate to see anyone lose his job, but no coach at the D-1 level that i've seen this year deserves this more than mr green. he would be a good NBA assistant, or recruiter for another program somewhere. but this b-ball program definitly needs to move on, so i wish the guy luck.
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

A second cousin to the distant friend of the former neighbor,who knew the great grand-uncle twice removed, who played with the son's of a friend ;), said this was in the making a couple of weeks ago when Mr Angelos made the decision to stay on at FAU.

"quiet down certain whispers"

Good luck Coach Green.
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

Green may be a great guy, but how can any program ignore a .317 winning percentage? Especially one in a weak conference like the A-Sun has been. FAU needs to let Green go and get young, assistant coach of an established D-1 program, ala UM and FIU. This team has gone 5 years without any type of offensive system. They take bad shots and make bad decisions….indications of bad coaching. They wasted two years of one of the most talented players in the history of the program (Bell) and have done a miserable job recruiting otherwise. Yes, there are limitations because of facilities, but a good coach/recruiter can work around that, just ask Schnelly who has been recruiting great players when a) the program had NO facilities in place and b) playing at a temporary stadium like Lockhart. FAU Basketball has a great opportunity here. Fire Green, get an actual coach, move into a another winnable conference (SBC), and then move into a new facility within 3-4 years. I'm glad Brogan seems to be addressing this problem.
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

FAUOWLS44, great job of recaping B-Ball past and needs. Importantly when the Dome is built the B-ball program gets a new facility as well. Very good point about Schnelly and as far as Green we could wait for another five years of excuses, and my Pappy always said Weight breaks the wagon, enough is enough, so see ya Green nice guy or not a coach you are'nt.
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

who cares if he is a nice guy? he's in the spot light. he isn't doing his job. he should be fired. because he is a nice guy people should feel bad for him? the guy sucks. he wasted probably our best player ever (maybe gary durant). This guy sucks. He couldn't make the Atlantic Sun Tourney with tranfers from Miami, NC State ect…. He sucks. Don't act like a bunch of girls and feel sorry for him because he's a nice guy. Fire him, shakehands and move on.

Get Matt Doherty.
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

Who is on the wish list of coaches?

M.Doherty is listed already.

If they can get the younger coach like UF did with Billy "The Kid" Donavan, that may help with recruiting.
Maybe Avery Johnson is willing to leave the Mavericks!

Who knows, Angelos may be trying to lure Danny Ainge (BYU) out of retirement.. :D
Back to the top

Green on his way out?

Latest news on Coach Green's future.

AD, President to determine Green's future
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 03, 2005

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic coach Sidney Green was hoping his team would be in Nashville today at the Atlantic Sun Tournament.

Instead, after failing to qualify for the tournament, the season is over and Green's career as coach of the Owls also could be nearing an end.

Green will meet with FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos by the end of the week, which is standard procedure, but President Frank Brogan has indicated he also may meet with Green.

"I think we have to reevaluate where we are and where we want to be," said Brogan, who watched nearly all of the Owls' home games from a courtside seat. "We'll sit down and evaluate not just the season, but the last few seasons."

Brogan's involvement could indicate a possible change in the coaching staff.

"There is a lot of talent on the court, so I was really disappointed," Brogan said. "I really think at this stage that we need to be competitive as we prepare to move into the Sun Belt Conference. We have to win more games and put more people in the stands."

The Owls were 10-17 this season and 10-10 in the Atlantic Sun, finishing in a tie for eighth place and missing the tournament on a tiebreaker.

"We had some bright spots, but didn't finish as strong as we needed to," Angelos said. "We just need to sit down and decide what's best for the long term of the program."

After failing to make the post-season for the second time in the past three seasons, Green knows his program will be scrutinized.

"They have a right to evaluate and I welcome that," Green said. "The program is bigger than I am as an individual. I'm still evaluating the season myself. Personally I wanted to go undefeated in the conference and it's a disappointment we didn't do that."

Green, who is 54-121 in six seasons at the school, was offered a multiyear contract before the season started but hasn't signed it and still is under a year-to-year contract.

The Owls' best season under Green was in 2001-02 when FAU went 19-12 and made the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history.

FAU will lose forward A-Sun Player of the Year Mike Bell to graduation. But it does bring back a solid core of young talent, including players that were part of the first group of recruits that the Owls signed in the early period.

The Owls will have five scholarships to offer in this year's recruiting period.

"We have some outstanding players," Green said. "We'd like to go out and find another player of Mike Bell's caliber, but we'll probably have to bring in several players to take Mike's place. I feel that with the players we have coming back, we do have a bright future. The nucleus is there and there is going to be a major upgrade when it comes to the players we will recruit. With the five scholarships we do have available, I think we can do that."

Back to the top

Green on his way out?

Green on his way out?

Look's like the higher ups aren't to please with Sidney efforts either.
Back to the top
Control functions: