Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GREEN IS GONE!!

Add topic

I have it on excellent authority that Sidney Green has been dismissed as head coach and the school will make the announcement Tuesday.

….More info to follow as it becomes available.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

This just went up on PalmBeachPost.com:

http://www.palmbeachpo…5/03/15/a1c_fau_0315.html

Florida Atlantic dismisses Green
He had five losing seasons ? and one NCAA Tournament bid ? in six years.

By Marcus Nelson
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 15, 2005
BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic men's basketball coach Sidney Green was dismissed Monday after posting his third consecutive losing season.

The Owls were 10-17 this season and failed to make the Atlantic Sun tournament by finishing in a tie for eighth place in the conference, despite having A-Sun Player of the Year Mike Bell.

Bruce R. Bennett/The Post
enlarge
'That's like asking me if I'm through with basketball . . . and I'd still play if I could. Coaching is my blood.' SIDNEY GREEN when asked if he was through coaching basketball

Green was informed of the decision by FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos during a meeting during the day and was told he would be reassigned within the athletic department.

"We are leaving here with FAU basketball being a much better place than it was when we got here and I'm very happy about that," Green said. "I think we accomplished a lot here."

The team was told of the decision at a meeting late Monday afternoon and the school will announce Green's dismissal today.

Angelos said he would not comment until the school's announcement.

In six seasons at FAU, Green was 54-121 ? a 30.8 winning percentage. The Owls' best season under Green was in 2001-02 when FAU went 19-12 and made the NCAA Tournament for the first time.

"There were a lot of naysayers around here, but we shut them up that third year when we made it to the NCAA Tournament," Green said.

However, that was the only winning season FAU had during the Green era.

Since then, FAU has missed qualifying for the A-Sun tournament two of the past three seasons.

Green's overall record is 103-181, which includes stops at LIU-Southampton and North Florida, each for two years, before being hired by FAU in 1999. After a stellar career as a player at UNLV, Green played in the NBA from 1983-93 for the Bulls, Pistons, Knicks, Magic, Spurs and Hornets before embarking on his coaching career.

In the spring of 1999, then FAU President Anthony Catanese hired Green after Kevin Billerman was fired after posting a 36-71 record in four seasons.

Green was 2-28 his first season, when FAU was among the worst teams in Division I. All that was forgotten two seasons later when the Owls won the Atlantic Sun Tournament and earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Shortly after the Owls lost to Alabama in the first round, Green's name was mentioned for jobs openings across the country and he was a finalist for DePaul's coaching vacancy. Green also interviewed at Cal State-Fullerton a year later, and last year, was a top candidate for an assistant coaching position with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Green said he would like to remain in coaching.

"That's like asking me if I'm through with basketball .?.?. and I'd still play if I could," Green said. "Coaching is my blood."

Likely candidates for the vacancy are expected to be Georgia Southern coach Jeff Price, who was 135-43 at Lynn from 1993-99, and current Lynn coach Scott McMillin.

Other potential candidates are former St. John's coach Mike Jarvis, and current FAU assistant coaches Ken Huber and Tony McAndrews, who was the former head coach at Colorado State and was a longtime assistant to Arizona coach Lute Olson.

Sidney Green's coaching record at FAU and career totals
Season Wins Losses
1999-00 2-28
2000-01 7-24
2001-02 19-12
2002-03 7-21
2003-04 9-19
2004-05 10-17
FAU totals 54-121
Overall 103-181

Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

Best FAU Hoops news I've heard in a loooong time!! Now for a replacement. We all know anyone could coach better than Green, but who is a good fit here? Ken Huber should not be considered a candidate. He's been here with Sidney….not saying he's a bad coach, we just need a fresh start. Jarvis is an interesting name, would definetly add hype to the program. Lappas from UMass and Buzz Peterson from UT both were fired Monday. Any interest in those guys?

Personally, I'd rather get a young assistant from a school in a major conference. Anyone have suggestions??
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

This just went up on PalmBeachPost.com:

http://www.palmbeachpo…5/03/15/a1c_fau_0315.html

Florida Atlantic dismisses Green
He had five losing seasons ? and one NCAA Tournament bid ? in six years.

By Marcus Nelson
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 15, 2005
BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic men's basketball coach Sidney Green was dismissed Monday after posting his third consecutive losing season.

The Owls were 10-17 this season and failed to make the Atlantic Sun tournament by finishing in a tie for eighth place in the conference, despite having A-Sun Player of the Year Mike Bell.

Bruce R. Bennett/The Post
enlarge
'That's like asking me if I'm through with basketball . . . and I'd still play if I could. Coaching is my blood.' SIDNEY GREEN when asked if he was through coaching basketball

Green was informed of the decision by FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos during a meeting during the day and was told he would be reassigned within the athletic department.

"We are leaving here with FAU basketball being a much better place than it was when we got here and I'm very happy about that," Green said. "I think we accomplished a lot here."

The team was told of the decision at a meeting late Monday afternoon and the school will announce Green's dismissal today.

Angelos said he would not comment until the school's announcement.

In six seasons at FAU, Green was 54-121 ? a 30.8 winning percentage. The Owls' best season under Green was in 2001-02 when FAU went 19-12 and made the NCAA Tournament for the first time.

"There were a lot of naysayers around here, but we shut them up that third year when we made it to the NCAA Tournament," Green said.

However, that was the only winning season FAU had during the Green era.

Since then, FAU has missed qualifying for the A-Sun tournament two of the past three seasons.

Green's overall record is 103-181, which includes stops at LIU-Southampton and North Florida, each for two years, before being hired by FAU in 1999. After a stellar career as a player at UNLV, Green played in the NBA from 1983-93 for the Bulls, Pistons, Knicks, Magic, Spurs and Hornets before embarking on his coaching career.

In the spring of 1999, then FAU President Anthony Catanese hired Green after Kevin Billerman was fired after posting a 36-71 record in four seasons.

Green was 2-28 his first season, when FAU was among the worst teams in Division I. All that was forgotten two seasons later when the Owls won the Atlantic Sun Tournament and earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Shortly after the Owls lost to Alabama in the first round, Green's name was mentioned for jobs openings across the country and he was a finalist for DePaul's coaching vacancy. Green also interviewed at Cal State-Fullerton a year later, and last year, was a top candidate for an assistant coaching position with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Green said he would like to remain in coaching.

"That's like asking me if I'm through with basketball .?.?. and I'd still play if I could," Green said. "Coaching is my blood."

Likely candidates for the vacancy are expected to be Georgia Southern coach Jeff Price, who was 135-43 at Lynn from 1993-99, and current Lynn coach Scott McMillin.

Other potential candidates are former St. John's coach Mike Jarvis, and current FAU assistant coaches Ken Huber and Tony McAndrews, who was the former head coach at Colorado State and was a longtime assistant to Arizona coach Lute Olson.

Sidney Green's coaching record at FAU and career totals
Season Wins Losses
1999-00 2-28
2000-01 7-24
2001-02 19-12
2002-03 7-21
2003-04 9-19
2004-05 10-17
FAU totals 54-121
Overall 103-181

Some of the quotes from Green are hilarious. The program is better off then when he got here? He accomplished a lot? I'm pretty sure anyone else could have guided the team to a 103-181 record. The bottom line is that the program has been a mess since the Tournament year. What should have been a great momentum builder was wasted. So i'm not sure what he means when he says he's accomplished a lot. Attendance has pretty much bottomed out, and other local programs like UM and FIU are both on upswings while we were floundering.

I'm just so glad that the atletic department finally did something about this, albeit a year or two too late.
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

I agree about the young asst also. Someone who can relate on an everyday level with the new breed of athletes. I don't know Sid's approach to the game so I can't comment about that. But if we had the energetic,go get em type like a Billy Donavan(UF) the recruiting will skyrocket.

I mentioned before that maybe FAU should check the NBA sidelines for up and coming asst coaches who would like to coach in the college ranks. They bring a different level of play to the game vs some of the more established/rehashed coaches around the league. But on the opposite end of that, you can't argue with the success of those coaches either. :-/
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

Jarvis name was mentioned. I'm stoked man he freaking blew. Its one thing to lose its another to lose like he did and be so arrogant about it.

I say go big, get our name in the paper. Pete Gillen from UVA, he just left, my favorite doherty, Jarvis but that would be a shocker.

If they can pitch the stadium to a coach we can grab someone great.
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

Hey, look at it this way, if you take away all of Sidney's single-digit win seasons, he went 29-29 at FAU. ;D

Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

GREEN IS GONE!!

Here it is on the Official Athletic Web site.

http://fausports.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031505aaa.html

No Question about it now
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

At least now he can follow his still-playing-son without, worrying about recruiting or looking for work himself.
Back to the top

GREEN IS GONE!!

O.G. your statement holds more truth then meets the eye. You know if his son was at FAU his dedication to this team would have been tremendous.
Back to the top
Control functions: