Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF Stadium issues. Sports Dollars

I was talking with friends about the FAU stadium. They brought up some interesting points about UCF's plight.
Older but two interesting articles.

Pitting sports aginst each other.
Battle lines drawn
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/knights/orl-locucf05010505jan05,0,6805537.story?coll=tf-knights

Can we get Tourist Funds for Palm Beach County?Tourist dollars mentioned:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/knights/orl-asecstadium09010905jan09,0,3890963.story?coll=tf-knights

Back to the top

O.G. the situation is similar, but a couple of points that make it very different.

1. They have a contract with the City of Orlando (which is about to make some hefty renovation) and they are not to happy about UCF building a new stadium.

2. They would be cutting into the womens softball field and that has some fur flying.

A couple of pople I've talked to say they feel that, "why build the cheapo stadium when you have the Citrus Bowl 15 minutes from the school". I gave the reasons why it makes such a difference for the program.
Also I explained the similarity in FAU situation.

They did not completely agree and said o.k. FAU uses Lockhart (the one guy I was talking to is from Lauderdale) enough said and he was'nt slamming FAU. Pointed out that its o.k. for the interim. The fact that FAU is looking at a Dome that can have a multi function use makes a whole lot more sense.

Back to the top

Talon, I agree it is different on several fronts. The one which really peaks my interest is the sport vs sport issue. I'm not insinuating anything but it makes you wonder how the other teams(and trustees) are feeling about the football publicity.
Back to the top

I got ya, I'm sure it stings a little but if they think it through any sport that is improving its position indirectly helps the others especially football. As football grows so do revenue and a certain portion is put in a general athletic fund which supports everybody.

That is why I said sting because there are other sports that will use the same facilities as football. Football gets a dome, well so does basketball, etc.

I do agree with your points and being tactful is very important and that is why its good that Angelos is staying.
Back to the top

I was privy to the athletic split at Rutgers when they went big time back in the 70's. They had some serious issues with the teams divided on funds. The Ladies and Men basketball teams were pretty good but the football team which was struggling in D1-AA, got most of the "ink".

Wasn't pretty but they got a nice Gym out of the deal.
Back to the top

I agree with you but I also think as times have changed it has become easier to swallow for each sport. A good AD knows how to balance the programs and make sure that if major funding is going for one you drop some on the others. Then when the others get there major hit some comes back the other way. What makes it hard is that football a very big program but a good program puts a school on the map so to speak.

FAU has a fine AD that will make it work for everybody, but people have to realize you can't do eveything all at one time. That is why I said can you imagine y=this guys worth in ten years!!!
Back to the top

The UCF stadium is back in the news again. They are supposed to start the next round of meetings to go forward or not.
Back to the top

I've been following it too. Seems like a tough fight with local residents and major city players.
Back to the top

For good reason, the City is willing to put up some big buck renovating a stadium, that is in close proximaty of UCF, tell you what this would be an ideal situation for us if the situation was reverse, think of the money you save and can use on other things to help improve the entire atheletic department instead.

They have limited amount of room on campus which again just make sense for them to let the City spend their money - we on the other hand are constantly fighting with the City of Boca and Orlando pretty much supports UCF pretty well and UCF slap them in the face, this is not good public relations.

Everybody wants a stadium on campus and there are school that make an off site work - Miami being an example. If the stadium is in close proximaty, I don't see an off campus stadium being a big deal. Us on the other hand, don't have that luxury, lockhart is not in close proximaty and there is nothing close, so we have no choice but to get one done.

Why create tension with the City if you don't have to and it's the way UCF went about it too. I'm wondering if this stadium has something to do with UCF bringing in O'leary as coach.
Back to the top

I agree with your points Bytor and I believe they are not making to many friends at city hall. There situation is a whole lot different from FAU's. Something good for there program was to have an indoor facility and they got that.

The Citrus Bowl recently put a bigtron scoreboard and are preparing to begin a very comprehensive renovations including increase parking. They have an great friend and may damage a very good relationship.

They better also remember, to build you need permits and we all know where they come from.
Back to the top
Control functions: