Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How would you?

How would you?

Now that it has been decided to keep the Oklahoma St. game here in South Florida and rightly so, the question is how would you approach marketing this game?

Get your thinking cap on and use that imagination of your, lets be creative and have a little fun while we wait for spring practices to come along.
Back to the top

How would you?

nickel beers.
Back to the top

How would you?

Naked women selling nickel beer. Opps! Did I say that out loud. :-[
Back to the top

How would you?

ohhh, you beat me.
Back to the top

How would you?

The previously suggested method could be a lot more interesting. But, assuming the powers that be will decline to pursue that path, here are some ideas:

1. Get a flyer in the enrollment (back-to-school) packet of every FAU student on every campus. Tell them where to pick up their tickets and how to get to the game. (Yes, this means planning the bus schedules as soon as game time is announced.) Promote a giveaway of some kind (FAU handkerchief, hat, whatever) for everyone with student ID who attends.

2. Post professional-looking posters touting the game around campus.

3. Buy ads in the local papers as soon as game time is announced. Promote the 'Mark Your Calendar' idea. Use the Sun-Sentinel, Palm Beach Post, Miami Herald, Boca Raton News. Buy placement in the sports sections. Include a phone number and internet site for tickets.

4. Buy a second round of ads in the local papers to accompany each of those newspapers' college football preview sections.

5. Get commercials (relatively low cost) on the Sunshine Network before, during or after pre-season reports, etc. FAU used to have a TV production facility. If it still does, this could help hold down production costs. If OWL TV still exists, they could be shown on it, too.

6. Buy a third round of ads in the local papers shortly before the game, reminding people that tickets still are available, etc.

7. Pitch travel agents around the campus of Oklahoma State to put together tour packages: Game tickets, airfare, hotel, rental car. South Florida is a nice place to visit.

8. UM has an open date the day of the FAU-Oklahoma State game. Buy an ad in the UM student paper (or whatever), touting the FAU-Oklahoma State game.

9. FIU is out of town that week. Buy an ad in the FIU student paper (or whatever), touting the FAU-Oklamona State game.

10. Buy ads in the student papers at Palm Beach Community College, Broward Community College and Miami-Dade Community College. Discount the tickets (with ID).

11. Will the Oklahoma State Alumni Association do a mailing to alums in Florida touting the game? If not, would it do so if FAU made a contribution toward the mailing?

12. Get table cards (the kind that stand up near salt and pepper shakers, etc.) for sports bars throughout South Florida. Tout the game, reasonable prices, etc.

13. Get the Coach on as many sports talk shows as possible. He's very good at this.

14. Tout the fun of tailgating. Be sure that FAU merchandise (new logo) is available as soon as the parking lot opens.

15. Run a contest to see which campus organization (Greeks, others) can turn out the most students. Get a local business (restaurant) to donate prizes.

16. Contact every youth league in Palm Beach and Broward County. Provide group rates for tickets and set aside a section for those who wish to stay away from sections in which drinking is allowed. (Some major league baseball teams, including the Los Angeles Dodgers, have adopted this policy.)

17. Contact every high school coach in the counties that have FAU campuses and tout the game, with discount tickets, etc.

18. Contact coaches at every high school in Florida from which FAU has a player and tout the game, with discount tickets, etc.

19. Ask the Alumni Association to work with a local travel agent for package deals for out-or-town alums: Game tickets, hotel, cooperating airline, rental car, etc.

20. Provide frequent, very professional promotional mailings to sports departments of all South Florida papers, TV stations and sports radio stations. Provide the same for all newspapers, TV stations, sports radio stations around the Oklahoma State campus. (The FAU media office should have a list of the newspapers in Florida, as well as Oklahoma.)

21. Keep thinking. More ideas will develop. The key is to act fast, look for the unusual and communicate clearly.

Good luck….

Back to the top

How would you?

yeah! what Greyowl said.
Back to the top

How would you?

did you think about it much...lol
Back to the top

How would you?

Wow! Those are some top flight ideas grayowl. All good but I really like 16,17 and 18. A little partial I guess.

I got a headache.. :-/
Back to the top

How would you?

those ideas are implemented every season with little success... Usually youth football have games going on and highschool students just arent intrested.. We gave away tickets for FREE to highschool players last year and still the most that turned out to any one game was about 60. There just isnt a draw yet, although these games are MUCH bigger than anyone we have played in the past. One big problem is most of these kids have no way of getting to the game and unless someone can get ahold of a school bus the kids cant get to the game. Most parents dont want drive to lockhart.
Back to the top

How would you?

Hard to disagree with GreyOwl here:

Bighooter is right thought 16,17 & 18 are things that have been targetted in the past with little result, but I am still a strong believer in that you must keep trying and keep providing the info to all posible avenues possible -

I just think that some how we need a different approach to handle this very difficult market that we find ourselves in. I just think we need to change our angle on the material we do put out there in commercial, billboard, newspapers or whatever medium we use to advertise. So in a way I am more interested in the marketing strategy to use then the medium.
Back to the top
Control functions: