Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Palm Beach Post is at it again

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2005/03/21/a12a_faufootballedit_0321.html

The numbers are incorrect throughout the entire editorial (which doesn't have a name attached). It focuses entirely on negatives. I guess it's time to send them some more letters…

It is not news that football is losing money, but it was never $6.25 million! Any program going from I-AA to I-A would be in a similar situation. As far as I know, most I-AA programs lose money, not only us. We also had a few years where we were paying too much to use Dolphin Stadium to host I-AA opponents instead of Lockhart. Also, this year we will start to get some decent guarantees ($400k from Kansas). I've read that in the future guarantees might go up to as much as $800k even for Sun Belt schools.

We always knew that I-AA football would lose money. This is why we are moving to I-A.

The Post is suggesting that the debt should not have been reorganized and that instead the team should be disbanded. It compares our situation to FAMU. The results couldn't be more different. Since the football program was started nearly the entire Boca campus has been redone. We have a new student center, we are progressing on our medical program, and there's even talk of a $40 million building for engineering (not to mention the dome). The Post should look at the big picture of how much FAU has advanced since four years ago, not the growing pains of our ambitious program.
Back to the top

I saw that article last night but I REFUSED to even address the issue this time. They have their own agenda and we only add fuel to their biased OPINIONS.

We know what they say about opinions….
Back to the top

I saw that article last night but I REFUSED to even address the issue this time. They have their own agenda and we only add fuel to their biased OPINIONS.

We know what they say about opinions….

Exactly!
Back to the top

Seems they have mixed feelings over there at the Palm beach Post... You read a few articals like that and then you read an artical like Kimbrely Millers the other day which praised Brogan and FAU
Back to the top

That editorial was obviously written by that same "editor" who wrote the opinion piece about FAU football a month or two ago - Randy Shultz.

The Post has always ignored or tried to kill local sports in favor of the Heat, Dolphins and other out-of-town bigtime sports. The Post poorly covered the minor league hockey franchises in West Palm Beach, despite record crowds; and covered away Heat games over the local pro basketball franshise in the 80s and 90s.

The same is happening with FAU. The Post wants to believe the Owls have no business playing with Miami, UF and Florida. The writer (from Tennessee?) also seems to have a personal bone to pick.

This guy has played with the facts since he was a "hot-shot" reporter for the Post in the early '80s.

Early in his "local" career, he was sent to Wellington to do a hatchet job on the then-new community which was drawing so much interest and growth.

Instead of accuratrely portraying this then-very small Wellington as an exciting, affordbable new family community, he focused almost solely on the negative. He interviewed bored kids (wasn't much to do for teens back then) and based much of the negative focus on comments by a mother who was a felon and wanted on bad check charges. He quoted my little (then-middle school) sister out of context and did what his superiors obviously wanted - ripped the central-western growth that threatened the Post's and coastal leadership's grip on the county.

We all now know how badly that anti-western growth effort failed. As did Shultz.

The Post might get the message if every FAU-supporting Post subscriber canceled his subscription, and then went to every advertiser he could find and told of his intention not to read that paper again. Hit them where the budget is. Advertising is the key.

Back to the top

Take heart that the Sun-Sentinel is rapidly taking over the area as it's readership grows north. The post is fish rapper in my opinion.
Back to the top

It seems as though Randy Shultz hates us and Kimberly Miller supports us.. she wrote about Brogan getting praise in Tally, and also about our budget being slashed to just over 2 million. I wrote her the other day and this is the reply I got….

thanks for the comments Brian.

I'm the new higher ed reporter at the Post. If you have any story ideas, let me know. I've got big learning curve to get a hold of what's going on. Thanks again. – Kim

Brian Matzen wrote:

I would like to commend you on a great article written regarding President Frank Brogan of FAU. It?s nice to see that he is getting the credit he very well deserves, and keeping the public informed of FAU?s status pertaining to the development of the University only helps the school. I wish all the Palm Beach Posts articles would support the school and not bash it, by that I?m referring to Randy Schultz of your sports department. A while back he wrote a article criticizing the football program saying it was a waist of money and that they will never develop into a competitive team when in fact they already are, have setting records. Thanks again for a great article on Brogan, you have rekindled my faith in the Palm Beach Post. Keep up the good work.

Go Owls,

Brian
Back to the top

Hey Matzen, I don't think you should lump Randy Shultz in with the people over in the sports department. Shultz is part of the ultra-liberal Editorial Dept at The Post, not Sports. I think we all have seen the difference in the "reporting" between the two departments.

Sports has routinely provided good content as well as positive articles (like Sidney getting canned) for FAU. Even the Local section has had good stuff about FAU lately. Shultz is the one who has been bashing FAU from Day 1.

You can't generalize your dislike or you just end up looking uninformed and silly.. kinda like the Post's Editorial section.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

:-X

Back to the top

Yea... I realized that after I had already sent it. He was editor in the editorial department but I have seen a few of his articals in the sports section from time to time so I did unjustly catogorize him in the sports dept. I like the PBP sports section they generially have praised us and given us credit when credit is due. They are also the first external media to use our new logo.. I must say they got right on top of that... ESPN, Sunsentinal, FOX.. they all still have our old logo.... I suspect that will change closer to football season....
Back to the top
Control functions: