Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The is really getting annoying

Found this comic in the sun-sentinal. They never reported when Nobel prize winner Dr. James Watson came to discuss how he discovered DNA's double helix structure, or the $250,000 donated to the life long learning center, or the new memorey and welness center that just opened to research alzheimer's, or when Dr. Sheldon H Rifkin came to speak on Forensic Psycology, or the progress on the multi million dollar Christine E Lynn college of nursing building. Seems as though this writer feels if the sun sentinal doesnt report it then it must not happen. Just because the sun-sentinal doesnt notice academic's doesnt mean its not there. I feel that its a low blow to use there selective reporting against us. Thats a double wammy, dont report our academic progress and then portray to readers that we only care about athletics, the papers the one that only chose to report sports. Its piss'n me off.

Back to the top

What comic?
I agree with your comments though. Good news is not in bold headlines or easy to find in the newspaper.
Back to the top

sorry, dont know what happend. I think the hosting site was down. In any case, its back up.
Back to the top

What about the recent scripp's donation, the best thing is to ignore the ignorant and let the supporters do the talking. Today's reporters are to much into sensationalizing and melodramatic and for some reason affraid to write the whole story. It's called half truths and to draw a polictical cartoon with that type of representation is really in bad taste. Shame on the aertist Lowe I believe.
Back to the top

You are correct, it was Lowe. It just gets fusterating to try to promote with such skepticism coming from what many believe to be reputable media sources.
Back to the top

well put letter to the editor. Here is what that fan has to say.

Letter to the Editor;

I was disappointed this Thursday by Howard Goodmans opinion piece on the F.A.U. Football program and more so by Chad Lowes cartoon on Saturday. Though much of the information in Goodman?s column was factually correct, he places blame for crowded classes and decreased course offerings at F.A.U. in the wrong place. It seems to me that the Governor and the state legislators who have shown an unexplainable propensity for cutting taxes and shifting expenses to local governments bear much of the blame. Slashing the intangibles tax on the wealthiest of our citizens and other hair brained schemes such as a one week moratorium on gasoline taxes are just a few examples of their negligence. The lost revenue from the intangibles tax alone would have paid for the class-size reduction amendment, enhancements to higher education, a decent child welfare system, and any number of other improvements to Floridians' quality of life. Mr. Goodman is correct that the team on the field has gone further and faster than any other team in NCAA history. He is correct that Coach Schnellenberger has delivered on his promises for the team?s progress. He is incorrect to assert that millions are being wasted on football.

The facts are that only 64% of Division I-A football programs turn a profit. Only 40% of Athletic Departments are self sufficient. I mention these facts not to condemn college athletics but rather to point out, that F.A.U. is not alone in their current situation.

There are generally two schools of thought regarding college athletics. Critics consider college athletics as a worthless diversion and drain on academic funding. Proponents view athletics as an integral part of the college experience not only for participants, but for students, alumni and the community as well.

I suspect F.S.U. and U.F. did not set attendance records in their first few years of existence either. The fledgling football program with continued support from students, football fans, and the media will, I am sure progress to become another successful college football franchise that the students, local community and all of south Florida can be proud of.

I sincerely hope that the muckraking by Mr. Goodman and Mr. Lowe is balanced by more positive coverage of the F.A.U. athletic program in the future.

Back to the top

you mean we have classes that actual student attend :o

It's easier for them to take cheap shot's for a quick smirk.

Back to the top

If they would check thier facts, they would have seen that even before football, our tuition per credit hour was already one of the most expensive in the state (not including private schools), but why bother with facts when you can get a quick cheap shot in.
Back to the top

That was a very well put rebutal.
Back to the top

Mr. Hutton is becoming as big a Tool as PB Post Twit. If you go to the FAU page on Sun Sentinel, he has three articles saying the same thing: ::)

"Students bankrolling athletics?<br>
?FAU, FIU students bankroll athletics?<br>
?Budget has FAU, FIU students paying hundreds each to bankroll athletics?<br>
Back to the top
Control functions: