Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Interviews

Add topic

Coaching Interviews

Coach candidates interview with Owls

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted April 5 2005

As an athletic director with an open job attending the Final Four, Florida Atlantic's Craig Angelos now knows what it's like to be a generator salesman after a hurricane.

Angelos was flooded with resumes after he fired Sidney Green three weeks ago and has spent the past four days in St. Louis interviewing about 30 candidates for the job. Angelos returns to South Florida tonight and hopes to name a new coach by Friday.

There were 29 Division I schools looking for a coach at the end of the season, and FAU is one of 13 still hunting.

Among those interviewed by Angelos and FAU President Frank Brogan was Iowa State assistant Damon Archibald.

"I'm in the mix," Archibald told the Des Moines Register after his Saturday interview. Archibald's brother, Beau, was an FAU assistant under Green for the 2003-04 season.

Archibald is the son of Lynn Archibald, a longtime head coach at Utah and Idaho State. Iowa State made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament this season, losing to North Carolina.

Another assistant who might be in the mix is Arizona State's Brooks Thompson. Thompson, 34, was a first-round NBA pick who just finished his first year at ASU.

Another son of a longtime coach interviewed by FAU is Barry Sanderson, whose father, Wimp, coached at Alabama.

Other assistants interviewed include Cincinnati's Frank Martin, LSU's John Treloar, Syracuse's Bernie Fine and George Washington's Steve Pikiell. Angelos also talked to Jeff Price, former Lynn coach now at Georgia Southern.

Fine, 59, has been Jim Boeheim's assistant for 29 seasons, and came to Boca Raton early last week to interview with Angelos.

Ted Hutton can be reached at [email protected].

Back to the top

Coaching Interviews

Pretty impressive bloodlines in that group. Hopefully it will help with their on-court winning percentage.
Back to the top

Coaching Interviews

IT DIDN'T LAST TIME
Back to the top

Coaching Interviews

IT DIDN'T LAST TIME

OOOOFFFF!!! :)
Back to the top

Coaching Interviews

WOW exit39 good shot, I wonder though if lighting strikes twice in the same spot
Back to the top
Control functions: