Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Angelos responds to Sentinel and Post

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/letters/sfl-pbmail889apr06,0,6043473.story?coll=sfla-news-letters

FAU offers full college experience

Craig Angelos
FAU Athletics Director Boca Raton
Posted April 6 2005

Over the course of the past week, a number of articles have been published regarding Florida Atlantic University's athletic program. Since arriving at FAU, I have worked with President Frank T. Brogan to meet the goals of balancing the athletics budget and paying off the debt that was inherited. This has not been an easy task; however, my staff and I realize that the university community derives the mutual benefits of a successful athletics program, but we must share in the challenges when situations such as this occur.

The articles written over the last week primarily focus on the proposed athletic fee increase that will assist the university in moving to a Division I-A level of competition. Although the Florida Legislature allows for up to a $2 increase in athletics fees for universities moving to the Division I-A level, that does not mean that FAU will institute an increase of the full amount. In addition, the university is reviewing the fees assessed to students to determine if there is a way to ease the burden.

It must also be stated that the proposed fee increase is only part of a much larger budget plan for increased revenue in athletics. The plan also includes an increase in game guarantees, corporate and ticket sales, and fund raising.

The athletics fee at FAU is similar to those of other universities when an apples-to-apples comparison is made on the issue. For example, although FAU's athletic fee may be a little higher than that of some of the other state universities, one must keep in mind that students obtain free admission to any of FAU's sporting events, including football.

Through the activities of collegiate athletic programs nationwide, students are provided with a full college experience. Football and the other 16 sports offered at FAU bring positive local, regional and national recognition to the community it serves. I look forward to watching FAU's programs grow and continue offering our community a venue to appreciate college competition.
Back to the top

YES!!! It's great to see someone going to bat for FAU. Kudos to Mr. Angelos for sticking up for the university. Gives you the feeling that he plans on staying for quite some time and making FAU successful. It's nice to have a university official who's not afraid to stir the pot and defend their program.
Back to the top

It also means him and Brogan have B$@%s and are looking not only to the past, present but a clear cut picture of the future of FAU and Fau Athletics. I really feel there are people that would love to see FAU and FIU go south.
Back to the top

I agree. Its about time an official from FAU posted something back at the media.

Back to the top

I'm glad he responded. I still think he could have hit on a few more talking points but I appreciate his willingness to put himself out there. I especially like his "apples to apples" comment. The Post and Sentinel have left out a lot of Key details in their one sided articles. Good job Angelos!
Back to the top

Im glad that they published it also. The other day my pop's wrote a letter also and we recieved call asking if they could have promision to publish it. He gave consent, hopefully we will see it soon if at all.

for those of you that missed the letter, here it is again.

Letter to the Editor;

I was disappointed this Thursday by Howard Goodmans opinion piece on the F.A.U. Football program and more so by Chad Lowes cartoon on Saturday. Though much of the information in Goodman?s column was factually correct, he places blame for crowded classes and decreased course offerings at F.A.U. in the wrong place. It seems to me that the Governor and the state legislators who have shown an unexplainable propensity for cutting taxes and shifting expenses to local governments bear much of the blame. Slashing the intangibles tax on the wealthiest of our citizens and other hair brained schemes such as a one week moratorium on gasoline taxes are just a few examples of their negligence. The lost revenue from the intangibles tax alone would have paid for the class-size reduction amendment, enhancements to higher education, a decent child welfare system, and any number of other improvements to Floridians' quality of life. Mr. Goodman is correct that the team on the field has gone further and faster than any other team in NCAA history. He is correct that Coach Schnellenberger has delivered on his promises for the team?s progress. He is incorrect to assert that millions are being wasted on football.

The facts are that only 64% of Division I-A football programs turn a profit. Only 40% of Athletic Departments are self sufficient. I mention these facts not to condemn college athletics but rather to point out, that F.A.U. is not alone in their current situation.

There are generally two schools of though regarding college athletics. Critics consider college athletics as a worthless diversion and drain on academic funding. Proponents view athletics as an integral part of the college experience not only for participants, but for students, alumni and the community as well.

I suspect F.S.U. and U.F. did not set attendance records in their first few years of existence either. The fledgling football program with continued support from students, football fans, and the media will, I am sure progress to become another successful college football franchise that the students, local community and all of south Florida can be proud of.

I sincerely hope that the muckraking by Mr. Goodman and Mr. Lowe is balanced by more positive coverage of the F.A.U. athletic program in the future.

Back to the top

Good letter from your pops. True fans.

Angelos has been this route before. He knows when and how to get the editors attention. Now if they still want truth they will come INSIDE the university and ask.
Back to the top

Kudos!!

We are in a tough position right now and those articles could not have come at a worse time, especially when we are trying to find funding for the stadium and the excess from the budget deficit. They do make FAU's job harder in finding donors and makes the job of those responsible take a grander role in damage control. I also believe that if you beleive in a cause strongly enough a way will present itself in order for us to achieve our goals.

We do have the right team in place to carry us forward in our quest. Angelos is the man!!

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Im glad he decided to decline the BYU proposal.
Back to the top

Kudos to your athletic director for going on the record to the local media. After all those "negative" articles that were stretching the truth, you guys needed an insider to speak up. At least those who read the paper on a daily basis will be able to hear both sides of the story and make an informed decision on their own. At the same time, YOU, the fan is kept aware of what is going on and don't feel left out of the loop. I wish you guys continued success in the near future.

P.S. Hopefully we can do a "BOSTON RED SOX" on you guys' and end the drought and dominance in this so-called FIU/FAU rivalry. Don't tell me you guys haven't ;Dsecretly ;D wanted us to win at least one game to make it interesting! LMAO!!! :D :) ;D ;D :D :)
Back to the top
Control functions: