Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Players to workout with Dolphins

Three former FAU players to work out for Dolphins
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

BOCA RATON ? Three former Florida Atlantic players have been invited to work out for the Dolphins today.

Running back Doug Parker, quarterback Jared Allen and kicker Mark Myers are expected to be in Davie for today's session to showcase their talents before the NFL Draft.

Scouts got a good look at Allen at February's scouting combine, but Parker and Myers may have attracted some interest because of their performances at FAU's first pro timing day last month.

"I think that may have helped," said Parker, the Owls' career rushing leader with 1,981 yards in three seasons.

Parker was working out in Colorado before recently shifting his workout schedule back to Florida.

"I've been working out twice a week and really just trying to stay in shape," Parker said.

Myers, who was 3-of-3 from 50 yards out before scouts during the timing day, also is expected to work out for Kansas City this week.

Indianapolis is showing some interest in Owls linebacker Chris Laskowski. The Colts are bringing in Laskowski, who graduated last fall, to Indianapolis today.

"It sounds like it's more of an interview and they want to talk," said Laskowski, who is helping out at Owls spring practices.

Also, reserve offensive lineman Peter Pantelakos has a high ankle sprain and could miss the remainder of the spring drills. Wide receiver Thavaris Dority, a Boca Raton graduate, is practicing with a cast because of a broken hand.

? Marcus Nelson

Florida State: On a day when its offensive line continued to struggle, Florida State quarterback Xavier Lee and receiver Kenny O'Neal made the most of Monday's mini-scrimmage. Lee (6-for-7, 97 yards) and O'Neal (three catches, 57 yards) turned in the best offensive play when the two hooked up for a 39-yard touchdown. It was the only offensive score in a practice dominated by FSU's defense.

"The quarterbacks throw pretty good if they have time," coach Bobby Bowden said. "They get out there in pass (drills) and complete nearly everything with no rush. Then they get out there in the scrimmage, it gets tight in there and its not so much their fault, they just can't set their feet and throw the ball."

Though Lee had the best stats of the day, he also threw the only interception of the day when he was picked off by sophomore safety Roger Williams. Junior quarterback Wyatt Sexton (4-of-6, 57 yards) and freshman Drew Weatherford (1-for-5, 0 yards) also took turns running the offense.

The defense recorded five sacks and forced the quarterbacks to scramble for much of practice. Senior defensive end Kamerion Wimbley (two sacks), sophomore defensive tackle Andre Fluellen (two sacks) and junior linebacker Buster Davis (two tackles, one sack) led the defense.

? Jim Lamar

Florida: Gators coach Urban Meyer is happy the way the defense is progressing, but the offense, particularly the line, is not up to standards.

"I've been around some really good defenses and we're close," Meyer said.

"The emphasis on running to the ball, the effort ? they're really starting to believe in each other. I really enjoy watching the defense."

? Meyer's safeties coach, John "Doc" Holliday, scoffed at rumors that he is interested in the head-coaching position at Marshall. The Huntington (W. Va.) Herald-Dispatch had listed him as a possibility.

Holliday said he has not been asked to interview for the job vacated by the retirement of Bobby Pruett. The Herald-Dispatch also reported that Marshall interim coach Larry Kueck, Ohio State defensive coordinator Mark Snyder and former coach Dave Roberts as possible candidates.

Holliday said a goal for any assistant coach would be to become a head coach, but he's happy as a part of Meyer's staff.

"I think anytime you're an assistant coach your goal is to become a head coach, but like I said, my only job and concern is being here at the University of Florida," Holliday said. "Other than that I really have no comment on it."

Back to the top

If all goes well for these guys (other than Allen) would they be included in the draft at the end of the month? Or do they get picked up on the side? If so I guess that means I'll be watching all 48 hours of televised coverage! Can't wait!!
Back to the top

Any combines and camps from now till the draft will be included in the draft. Anything after that day will have to be as a FA route or supplemental draft.
A lot of players back-door their way into the NFL via the INDY combine in late April(30th) and June(11th). That's really for AFL/NFL Europe/CFL. But they get the exposure and some NFL teams will grab them for the pre-season camps too.

It's so many different routes if they stick too it.
Back to the top

Any news on Parker's numbers from pro-day? How was his 40 time?

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Most pro day specs were kept secret by the teams. Word is that he ran a high 4's.
Back to the top

Sounds good. I really want to see mark myers get picked up. He was ranked #1 in IA for a little while then he had 3 kicks blocked at the FAMU game and droped to I believe 60th. He has a great leg and you could always count on him. I think he could be a great starting kicker in the NFL in the very near future.
Back to the top

I agree with you totally BigHooter. Even last year "Automatic" Meyers was ranked nationally in D 1, in field goal percentage, until that FIU game when he missed two or three. I wish him the best.
Back to the top

Saban drills draft prospects
UM cornerback Antrel Rolle's audition is of interest.
By JOE SCHAD

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

DAVIE ? The Dolphins put about 20 draft-eligible players through private workouts at the team facility Tuesday, including University of Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle, who the Dolphins could consider if they trade down from the second pick and, as expected, deal Patrick Surtain.

Saban, a former defensive backs coach, put Rolle through a series of his favorite drills. Among the other players in attendance were UM quarterback Brock Berlin, running back Frank Gore, fullback Talib Humphrey and guard Chris Myers, UF cornerback Reynaldo Hill, Oklahoma State running back Vernand Morency and FAU quarterback Jared Allen, running back Doug Parker and kicker Mark Myers.

In other news, the Dolphins cut fullback James Lynch, a former Cincinnati Bengal who was inactive for the three games he was on the roster last season.

On NFL Network, analyst Pat Kirwan said he expects Miami will deal Surtain to the Chiefs before the draft, with a fourth-round pick this year and a third-rounder next year as expected compensation.

South Florida based agent Drew Rosenhaus added Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens to his roster of more than 90 players.

New England signs WR David Terrell: Wide receiver David Terrell signed with the New England Patriots, reuniting quarterback Tom Brady with a former college teammate.

Terrell left after his junior season to enter the NFL Draft in 2001.

He was picked eighth overall by the Chicago Bears, but in four NFL seasons he has yet to live up to the potential he displayed in college. By contrast, Brady, a two-time Super Bowl MVP, was a sixth-round pick in 2000.

Back to the top
Control functions: