Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Souverain

Football: Souverain aims to gain coaches' trust
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 09, 2005

BOCA RATON ? The scrambling ability of Florida Atlantic reserve quarterback McKinson Souverain has never been a question.

This spring, Souverain is proving he has the arm to match.

"I really just want to come out and have the coaches trust me," said Souverain, an Atlantic High graduate who will be a redshirt freshman this fall. "I know what I can do with my feet, now I just have to throw it and do what it takes to win."

The 6-foot, 173-pound Souverain appears to be making a smooth transition from playing on the Owls' scout team last season to being the backup to starter Danny Embick.

"The biggest thing is working on timing," Souverain said. "I've noticed I'll be dropping back and being ready to throw and the receiver is still running his routes. I've got to adjust to that."

The FAU coaching staff is pleased with Souverain's progress.

"He needs to continue the development of his upper body," said Owls offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Gary Nord. "He has a whole lot of athletic ability but still needs a million reps."

With Souverain, Embick and Sean Clayton, who is battling Souverain for the backup spot, Owls coach Howard Schnellenberger said he feels good about the unit.

"The quarterbacks might be better than we had last year," Schnellenberger said. "I said 'might,' but I think we're deeper than we were at this juncture last year."

The Owls hold their first scrimmage of the spring today at 2 p.m. at the Oxley Practice Fields.

? Marcus Nelson

Penn State: Starting center E.Z. Smith was kicked off the team for his role in an incident in which arrows were shot through a dormitory wall during a party.

Coach Joe Paterno will decide whether the senior will be allowed back on the team after the summer.

Tennessee: Two key offensive linemen were among five players who had knee surgery. Another player had back surgery. Guard Cody Douglas, OT Arron Sears, CB Roshaun Fellows, DT Jared Hostetter and S Ellix Wilson had arthroscopic knee surgeries. DE Xavier Mitchell had surgery on his lower back.

Back to the top

Souverain

Thats my man!!! Souvarian to Dareus all season long!
Back to the top

Souverain

Souverain

He did not get many reps today under center and was average at best overall, Sean Clayton however had a strong showing. The big guy had not impressed before today, looking kind of clumsy, but today he showed some nice touch.

Embick had is usuall type of day with a some nice scrambles, one for a nice big gain, he is becoming a very dependable work horse under center.
Back to the top

Souverain

Gonna be interesting between he and Clayton for the back-up spot.
Back to the top

Souverain

Clayton still has a long way to go, I would give the edge to Souverain. Souverain has that intangible ability to make something out of nothing and break a play wide open, he should develop just fine during spring.

It will be interesting how Clayton does progress during spring, his timing with receivers is off a bit, but I can see him make a strong case for himself. Hes' come a long way in a week plus of practice.

The biggest question is not the QB's, but the receivers, they need get better - Simeon is the only one that is seperating himself from the others. McGahee, need more work to get in rhytm, Porter-Isom should make a case for himself as well.

It's hard to get a read on everyone, at any one practice, hopefully I can evaluate others players in the near future.
Back to the top
Control functions: