Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Doherty to coach FAU

Add topic

Watching ESPNEWS and according to Dickie V, Doherty has accepted the coaching job at Florida Atlantic. I dont know any details as of yet, just know that he has accepted the job. Great move FINALLY by FAU
Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2038850

FAU on the front page of ESPN.com. This hire (pending completion, hopefully on Monday) is already reaping us benefits. This will be the most anticipated FAU Hoops season ever. I for one know I will try to go to as many games as possible. GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

I live in NY and even I cant wait to come down during BBall season and see a game or two. I just hope everyone else at the school feels the way we do. I hope everyone else realizes what kind of major news this is. If the team gets off to a good start I'd like to see them fill up the gym a bit more. It was pretty sad when I was there and my friend and I would be the only ones making noise and yelling at the opposing team. Occasionaly some of my fraternity brothers would join. I even went on the trip to UCF when they made the tourney
Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

Doherty to coach FAU

Well, with Green at coach there wasnt a whole lot to cheer about. Hopefully, Doherty can get some good OOC opponents in here and we can put some butts in the seats. Last year's schedule was a joke and we lost most of them at that. I know that no top 25 program is making the trip to Boca next year, but some mid majors with a little name recognition would be nice. Because we played in a Nevada tourney last year, we had one OOC game (vs. Colgate).

Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

Now that's good to hear! Let's get the details worked out guys.

Go Owls!!!

Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/sports/epaper/2005/04/16/fau_coach.html

FAU hires Matt Doherty to coach basketball
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 16, 2005

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic has hired Former North Carolina coach Matt Doherty to be its next basketball coach, sources familiar with the coaching search said.

Some members of the basketball coaching staff were told Doherty has been hired and there would be a staff meeting on Monday and possibly a meeting with members of the team later in the afternoon.

An official announcement on Doherty's hiring could also come Monday.

Doherty was on campus Wednesday interviewing for the position that has been vacant since Sidney Green was fired last month.

Repeated phone calls to Athletic Director Craig Angelos were left unreturned.

After interviewing 25 candidates, FAU was down to three finalists at the end - Doherty, former BYU coach Roger Reid and Norfolk State coach Dwight Freeman.

Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

;D

This is a major hire for us, the benefits will be enormous.
This program is ready for prime time, baby!!

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

Doherty will pace sidelines for Owls

Published Saturday, April 16, 2005
by Cory Jennerjohn

According to sources close to Florida Atlantic University, the Owls will make Matt Doherty their fifth men?s basketball coach at a press conference Monday.

Doherty, 43, coached for one season at Notre Dame and led the Irish to a 22-15 record. From there, he succeeded Bill Guthridge at his alma mater, North Carolina, where he went 53-43 in three seasons before he resigned following the 2002-03 season.

Doherty was also an assistant at Kansas for seven seasons under current Tar Heels coach Roy Williams. Doherty has been working for College Sports TV as a college basketball analyst.
Doherty assembled the majority of the North Carolina team this season including ? seniors Jackie Manuel, Melvin Scott, Jawad Williams and juniors Sean May, Rashad McCants and David Noel that captured the Heels? fourth title this season and first since 1993.

That kind of winning resume is impressing and is something the Owls need after limping to just 54 wins the last six seasons under Sidney Green, who was fired March 15.

?I think it?s a good step in the right direction, and to help us get to the level where we need to be? said point guard Kahleaf Watson, who had a team-leading 63 steals this season. ?Doherty can bring over some of the leadership he showed at Notre Dame and UNC, so we can make it to the NCAA tournament.?<br>
Doherty, who made $855,000 per year at North Carolina, wanted significantly more money than the $140,000 ceiling that the job pays.

The news of this isn?t all good for everyone else, though.

Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine withdrew his name on Thursday, after he realized that the athletic department wasn?t seriously interested.

?I just didn?t feel like it was going in any specific direction,? said Fine. ?It seemed now that they are looking for a recycled coach.?<br>
The decision that Fine withdrew his name was unsettling for him, especially because he was ready for the transition.

?I want to be fair to myself and my family,? said Fine. ?We were prepared to move. I was interested in making that my job for twelve, thirteen, fourteen years.?<br>
Former Lynn and current Georgia Southern coach Jeff Price ? who is No. 20 for winning percentage among active coaches ? also withdrew his name from consideration this week.

?We have a great basketball program and I intend to continue our great tradition,? said Price.

Brigham Young coach Roger Reid, Norfolk State?s Dwight Freeman and Buzz Peterson ? who was just hired by Coastal Carolina ? were all serious contenders for the job.

Just because they now have a coach in place, doesn?t mean that things can change immediately, especially with the April 14 signing day gone and past.

?If they sign a guy now and give him a three-year deal, it?s like a two-year deal because he can?t do anything this year,? said William Fash, who is a 28-year veteran of the Boca Raton sports scene. ?What would cause them to do that? I would have a lot of questions if I was wooed by them.?<br>
But that doesn?t squelch the enthusiasm of kids that won?t even be able to be coached by Doherty.

?We have a lot of talent coming back next year and it will be exciting to see how Doherty channels the leadership he?s shown at Notre Dame and UNC into the players and the fans,? said graduating senior forward Jimmy Bishop.

To contact Cory Jennerjohn call 561-893-6629, or e-mail him at [email protected].

Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

FAU hires Matt Doherty to coach basketball
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 16, 2005

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic has hired Former North Carolina coach Matt Doherty to be its next basketball coach, sources familiar with the coaching search said.

Some members of the basketball coaching staff were told Doherty has been hired and there would be a staff meeting on Monday and possibly a meeting with members of the team later in the afternoon.

An official announcement on Doherty's hiring could also come Monday.

Doherty was on campus Wednesday interviewing for the position that has been vacant since Sidney Green was fired last month.

Repeated phone calls to Athletic Director Craig Angelos were left unreturned.

After interviewing 25 candidates, FAU was down to three finalists at the end - Doherty, former BYU coach Roger Reid and Norfolk State coach Dwight Freeman.

Back to the top

Doherty to coach FAU

Mr Bernie Fine, they're not looking for just any "recycled coach".

He crept into the scene just like Sea Biscuit.. ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: