Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Doherty speaks

Add topic

Here is the first arcticle I've found with quotes from the man himself:

http://sports.espn.go.…ncb/news/story?id=2039807

Only 2 winning seasons, but 'we can do great things'

BOCA RATON, Fla. – Matt Doherty was hired as Florida Atlantic's basketball coach Monday, starting over two years after he resigned as coach of North Carolina.

Doherty, a former national coach of the year, replaces Sidney Green, who was fired last month after three consecutive losing seasons, including a 10-17 mark this year.

Doherty worked as a broadcaster and businessman after leaving coaching. He now joins a school in the Atlantic Sun Conference, a long way from the Tar Heels and the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"I've been to the top of the mountain," Doherty said. "The view's not always better from there."

At North Carolina, Doherty made $855,000 annually, led one of college basketball's storied programs and his teams played at home before more than 20,000 rabid fans who demanded excellence.

This time, he signed a seven-year deal with an annual base salary of $171,000 and inherits a program with only one NCAA Tournament berth. The 2004-05 team played seven home games before fewer than 500 fans. In 12 seasons at Division I, the Owls are a combined 102-234, with only two winning seasons.

"It wasn't about money. It wasn't about level," Doherty said. "If you have a passion for coaching basketball, you'll coach in front of 20,000 people or 2,000 people."

ESPN.com's Andy Katz is reporting that Doherty plans on hiring former Kansas star Rex Walters as an assistant coach.

Doherty, who played with Michael Jordan at North Carolina, went 53-43 in three seasons as North Carolina's coach and was labeled an underachiever; Florida Atlantic has won only 65 games in the last eight seasons combined.

Florida Atlantic – which has another high-profile coach, Howard Schnellenberger, leading its football program – is the third coaching stop for the 43-year-old Doherty. He and Schnellenberger spoke last week by phone, and Doherty said the coach's recruiting speech left an impact.

"His commitment to this place meant a lot to me. His vision meant a lot to me," Doherty said. "And I think we can do great things here."

Florida Atlantic guard Tywain McTyer was among the players at Monday's news conference, and is excited to play for Doherty.

"He's a big name and clearly a great coach," he said. "And I think he brings our dream a lot closer."

After seven seasons as an assistant at Kansas under current Tar Heels coach Roy Williams – who replaced Doherty in Chapel Hill – Doherty went to Notre Dame for the 1999-00 season, going 22-15.

He took over the Tar Heels for the 2000-01 season. Doherty's first Carolina team went 26-7, was ranked No. 1 in the country late in the season and won a share of the ACC's regular-season title. All that helped earn him The Associated Press' coach of the year award.

But in 2001-02, his feuds with Carolina players becoming public, the Tar Heels went 8-20 – the school's first losing season since 1962, Dean Smith's first at the school. A year later, North Carolina went 19-16, with freshmen like Raymond Felton, Sean May and Rashad McCants, all Doherty recruits who played major roles for this year's national champions. Doherty resigned with three years left on his contract.

Florida Atlantic received more than 60 applications for the job, and the school interviewed about 22 candidates, athletic director Craig Angelos said.

"The best candidate was the last one we talked to," Angelos said.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

Doherty speaks

Here's another article (the official release) with some more comments:

http://fausports.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041805aaa.html

This is another picture from the Sun-Sentinel:
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

this is f'en awesome. were going to be a legit program in two years.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

Got a great coach, but don't forget that we still play our home games in FAU Gym. Once the dome is built and we move to the Sun Belt, we'll start getting better recruits…that's when the program will really take off.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

So I guess the announcement was officially made on Monday. Otherwise my "his to refuse" comment was the only thing which threw you off Canadianowl.

Great hire for FAU. The national spotlight with the media is sure to follow.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

"In 1983, the Teaching Gymnasium added a new dimension to FAU's sports programs. The gym includes seating for 5,000, weight training rooms, and space for sports such as fencing."

;D
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

This is a major step in establishing not only the vision and dream of taking this athletic program to the next level a reality, but a program that will develop into a major player. This hire took a lot of guts considering the contraint the department was under, the long term benefits will ten fold.

Having him invovled with the program can only help in getting the Dome done, now the only obstacle that may remain is that I-95 off-ramp.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

I'm wondering if this is helping Mr. Twit with those milld heart discomfort he must be having today.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

Hearing that our "other" coach had an impact on this decision, and hearing him talk of building the program gets my toes tingling. Even if he splits after a few years, I'm sure he'll lay the groundwork to maintain a successful program.
Back to the top

Doherty speaks

I am sure you all will find a large following of Carolina fans with Coach Doherty's hiring.

You have gotten yourself a tireless worker, great motivator, and someone who is as passionate about winning as you can be. With the upcoming move to the new conference, get ready to see why Carolina loves basketball!

He will only do great things for your basketball program and I wish him, your players, and all the fans the best of luck!
Back to the top
Control functions: