Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Embick taking control

Embick settling in as starting QB

By Marcus Nelson
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 23, 2005

BOCA RATON ? When senior Danny Embick takes the field as Florida Atlantic's starting quarterback this fall he'll know what to expect, though he has only one start under his belt.

Thanks to a tradition of Howard Schnellenberger playing the backup quarterback for a series in the second quarter, Embick has plenty of game experience despite playing in the shadow of Jared Allen, who was a four-year starter for the Owls.

"I know the offense pretty well. The biggest thing is having to go after that leadership role," said Embick, who was Allen's backup for two years after transferring from West Virginia. "I have to keep everybody on the same page with the leader."

The practice of playing both quarterbacks has paid dividends. Embick has been playing well during spring drills, which conclude with today's spring game at 2 p.m. at the Oxley Practice Fields.

"He's doing everything better than he did last year, and I'm happy about that," FAU quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Gary Nord said. "He has a whole lot of practice experience and some game experience, and the biggest thing is he has been in with the game on the line. That's better than being in on mop-up duty."
With Schnellenberger's substitution philosophy, Embick was often sent in with the game still on the line.

"That's everything," Embick said. "I'm comfortable already and the biggest thing is the consistency for the whole game. That and possibly the conditioning is something I'm not as used to."

But Embick, a Dwyer High School graduate, likely will find out quickly the difference between a starter and a backup who is used often.

"It's a lot different because until you are the starter you have the No. 2 mentality" Nord said. "Now that starting quarterback spot is resting on his shoulders, and I've been real pleased with the way he has handled it."
Embick has shown in limited duty that he has the tools to be successful. In two years at FAU, Embick is 70-for-113 for 1,038 yards and has thrown eight touchdowns.
Embick is more mobile than Allen was, and FAU is tweaking the offense to utilize his speed.

"Last year I was playing the role of Jared when I was put in and, for me, that meant I was handcuffed a little bit," Embick said.Schnellenberger likes what he has seen from Embick this spring.

"Danny is really taking charge and really doing well," Schnellenberger said. "He seems to have an ejection seat that maybe can bail us out."

Noteworthy: Before today's final scrimmage, the athletic department will sell game-used apparel and equipment at 11 a.m at the Oxley Center. … Starting tight end Dantson Dareus was held out of Friday's light practice and will have an MRI today after hurting his ankle Wednesday.
Back to the top

Embick taking control

I think Embick will surprise some teams early on…watching him last year, I thought at times he did better than Mr. Allen. I can't wait to see what he can do with the offense geared around him.
Plus his family is great (my season tickets happened to be right next to them)
I'll predict another nationally shocking week 1 victory on the road against Kansas (the Jayhawks won't be motivated, won't know our skill positions our what our offense will look like, and our Defence is still very strong, plus they were only 4-7 last year)!! What do you guys think??
Back to the top

Embick taking control

Embick taking control

Kansas and Minnesota have the greatest chance of getting shocked. Ok St. is opening up against a cream puff, they should be strong and healthy for the Owls home opener. Louisville…is a really good football team :-[

FAU starts the season at 1-0!!!
Back to the top

Embick taking control

I like everyone's enthusiasm, but not so fast my friends.

Our offense, while more mobile at QB with Embick and Souverain running the show, has a long way to go before it will surprise anyone. It has looked uninspired to say the least during practice and the spring game just confirmed that.

I have a feeling the team will only be as good as its defense this season, while the offense will struggle to put up points. Hopefully things will change in August during two-a-days.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Embick taking control

My prior statements were made BEFORE the spring game this afternoon. I must say that I too was slightly less than impressed.
Embick was not overwhelmingly great, not starter great anyway. I have been pulling for Souverian since he signed his letter of intent and I think he could be an asset if he becomes a passer over the summer.
But the most frightening thing is the size of our team. Wait til the first home game and see for yourself how much bigger they grow them in Oklahoma! However, I think some are giving Kansas more than they deserve, FAU still starts the season 1-0!!!
Back to the top

Embick taking control

At this point in the season almost every offense in the nation will be behind the defense (except USC who is returning 2 Heisman finalists-including the winner). Plus, our defense is pretty good and has been the strength of our team, I think it will come together against Kansas, and it was nice to see the OSU running back drafted on day one (they'll be missing his 1,400+yards!!
Back to the top

Embick taking control

?I feel like we got a lot of work to do on offense,? said Embick. ?It?s critical that we get in the weight room this summer. Mainly the offensive line, that?s where it starts. I don?t think these guys really know what kind of caliber we?re going to be up against.?<br>

The OL needs to get better and like Coach said the offense also need leadership and with the quote above Danny need to step in and make sure that the guys do work-out and start getting geared for fall.

Danny had two series yesterday with Souverain & Calyton taking the majority of the snaps so it's hard to get a good gauge of the offense. What I like to do during spring is look at the individual players instead and see how they are preforming. Some players have come a long way sense the start of spring practice, the most disappointing is Dareus injury - he was just starting to preform to his abilities and playing great before he re-injured his knee.

These guys are just getting their feet wet and maybe coming to grips with the intensity and level of play they must bring their game up to. Between now and fall will be very important for these guys development and how they will be ready for fall.

McGahee is a player that also has made progress during spring. I am not to concerned with the offense right now, the running will be key for us next year is we are going to have any hope with the big 3-4 games at the begginning of the season. If the OL steps up we do have the RB & FB to take care of business.
Back to the top

Embick taking control

Plus, at this stage of the development of the team is not all bad, at least the players know that they need to work harder during the next three months, there is no room form then to become complacent.
Back to the top

Embick taking control

Bytor, just to add to your comment if I may, one very good thing is that most of these guys were with last years team and know what hard work and dedication is. The seniors left a very big void but also cast the mold for the foundation to carry on a new tradition for this program.

These guys are a tight group and they stick together, that go's a very long way. The old saying "A closed fist hurts a hell of lot more than an open hand", these guys are a young group but they know how to pick each other up when one gets down, they play the game hard and as a TEAM.

Heart, when a team plays with heart they are tuff to beat even when odds are against them and I believe these guys have the heart to never quit, win or loose. The Seniors were the Corner Stone of this program next is the Foundation and this this very young team has a tough task ahead but thats what makes a sloid foundation .

Every player on that team knows they can do better and on there own do what they need to do this off season they will be the next page in the history of this program.
Back to the top
Control functions: