Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Draft Day notes;

Laskowski may work out in Indy. Coach Dungy have a soft spot for underdogs. Especially on defense:

Article:

FAU's Allen goes undrafted, hopes to sign as free agent
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 25, 2005

Florida Atlantic quarterback Jared Allen was looking forward to being the first Owl selected in the draft.

Unfortunately for Allen, there was no call from an NFL team this weekend.

Allen, a four-year starter, is still hopeful that he can land with an NFL team as a free agent.

"Free agency may work out for me, but I was thinking maybe in the sixth or seventh round," Allen said. "I guess you just never know. My agent is the one contacting the teams and handling everything, but I think I'll hear something in the next day or two."

Watching the draft Sunday was nerve-wracking for Allen, especially during the seventh round.

"It's been a pretty stressful day," Allen said. "Some of he quarterbacks that I thought were about the same place as me went in that seventh round."

Harvard's Ryan Fitzpatrick and Southern Cal reserve Matt Cassel were taken in the last round.

FAU linebacker Chris Laskowski will sign as a free agent with Indianapolis. Among other FAU players who could sign as free agents are running back Doug Parker and place-kicker Mark Mye
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

I'd say that Las has a much better chance of getting to play than if they (Indianapolis) had picked up Allen!
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

Man...I saw Mark Mye boot some great kicks. He has the size and definitely has the potential to be a big league kicker. I would love to see Laskowski pull a Zack Thomas and be one of those out of nowhere play makers. He definitely has the focus and speed.
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

This just in….

Jared Allen hasn't signed a contract, but he is going to work out for Tampa Bay at their mini-camp later this week.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

This just in….

Jared Allen hasn't signed a contract, but he is going to work out for Tampa Bay at their mini-camp later this week.

I sure hope something becomes of this. The guy's got the talent to play in the league, he just needs the chance.

TB would be wise to sign him. Keep your fingers crossed.
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

That's awesome. I'll pray to the "Football Gods" ;D that he has a great outing and gets signed.
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

Heard on the radio Allen to Tampa Bay and Laskowski to Indy…haven't heard anything about our kicker Myers (who I think has the best chance of be known in the league). If not, I guess we can watch all 3 in next years NFL Europe League, or the Arena League!
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

FAU Draft Day notes;

That's awesome. I'll pray to the "Football Gods" ;D that he has a great outing and gets signed.

I saw on NFL Network today that Laskowski is officially signed w/ the Colts.

Nothing on Allen yet. Funny that Brock Berlin was signed by the Dolphins. On most boards, including NFL.com, Allen was listed HIGHER than Berlin.

Timmy Chang got picked up too. What are these people waiting on? Allen out there waiting?

I hope that maybe something's happened w/ Tampa that I just don't know about.
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

Four FAU Football Players Invited to Continue Careers
Laskowski, Allen, Parker, Bynes to practice with three different teams.

April 26, 2005

Boca Raton, FL - Four Florida Atlantic University football players will don new uniforms for the first time in five seasons. Seniors Chris Laskowski, Jared Allen, Doug Parker and Roosevelt Bynes will each have the opportunity in the coming weeks to showcase their ability at NFL camps.

"Like any proud father sitting at the football awards banquet hoping his son would be selected as the most valuable player, my staff and I have followed this draft with interest," said head coach Howard Schnellenberger. "Obviously we are pleased even though not drafted at least four of our players will have the opportunity to make their respective teams."

Chris Laskowksi was the first to receive notification and will join the Indianapolis Colts for camp. Laskowski, was a four-year letterman for the Owls, concluded his career with 285 tackles, a program high. He also earned the Scholar-Athlete Award in 2001, the team's MVP award in 2002, Co-MVP in 2003 and for the 2004 season he was the team's Defensive MVP and Student-Athlete of the Year honoree. Historically, Laskowski becomes the second to sign a free agent contract. Brian Pare was the first FAU player to sign as a free agent and did so in 2004 with the Chicago Bears.

Jared Allen has been invited to attend the Tampa Bay Buccaneers camp. Allen, like Laskowski, played in every game during the program's four-years. He started in all but three. His career record as an FAU quarterback stands at 25-19 the program's record is 26-20. In his last two seasons, Allen guided the Owls to a 20-6 record, to the semifinal game of the NCAA Division I-AA play-offs and through the provisional I-A schedule that included an overtime victory against Hawaii. His senior campaign saw him tally 13 TDs through the air and two on the ground. He completed 177 of 291 passes for 2554 yards with only eight interceptions. His leadership and knowledge of the Owls' system was instrumental in the squads 2004 5-0 start, all on the road, and two were against 2003 and 2004 bowl participants. Should FAU have been included in the NCAA statistics he would have been listed 21st in passing efficiency. During his four-year career he was named the team's MVP in 2001, 2003 (Co) and 2004. He was also the squads Offensive MVP in 2002.

Both Doug Parker and Roosevelt Bynes have been invited to participate in the Dolphins mini camp that begins on Thursday and will run through Sunday. Parker, FAU's all-time career rushing leader ran for 896 yards in 2004. He was also one of the team's top receivers with 144 yards for an average of 17.2 receiving yards per game. Bynes may be most remembered for his heroics in 2003. With time running off the clock, the West Virginia transfer hauled in a catch that would give the Owls their first victory over a Division I-A opponent. The victory was just the 22nd game played by the Owls and placed FAU in the record books for the fastest start-up team to earn a Division I-A victory. The Ft. Lauderdale native went on to 47 catches for 772 yards, including nine touchdown receptions. 2004 would be more of the same. In all, he played in nine games, recorded 27 catches for 627 yards and four TDs. As a senior he averaged 69.7 yards per game.

These four seniors were four of 26 that dressed for the squad's final game in 2004. The 2005 schedule will feature one of the nation's toughest non-conference schedules with Kansas, Oklahoma State, Minnesota and Louisville along with a full Sun Belt Conference slate. The Owls will take the field with possibly their most athletic team to date, but will do so with 47 underclassmen.
Back to the top

FAU Draft Day notes;

… only one problem, Bynes didn't transfer from West Virginia.

Pitt, West Virginia, same thing I guess.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top
Control functions: