Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger a Bad Recruiter

Since the board has been a little slow lately, this should help livein this up a bit:

Here is a post from a USF fan I thought was interesting:

FAU has not and will NOT surpass UCF or USF as the 4th best team in the state. They cannot recruit, they cannot draw more than 4000 fans to a game, and with all due respect to Howard Schelenberger, he is past his time. You're basing this on a couple of losing seasons for both teams and really nothing else (by the way, we beat the team rather easily two years ago and that was the second worst season in our recent history).

Of course I'm a little biased, but even if you look it it objectively, you will see that USF had a great recruiting year and UCF did pretty well itself. UCF has a proven coach in O'Leary, a strong core of "through thick and thin" fans, and will have one of the nicest athletics complexes in the NATION in a couple years.

FAU simply has not dedicated what both UCF and USF have to grow their athletic programs. Do a little research on what both schools are doing and you will see that they are not going to be bottom feeders for long.

So Schnellenberger is pass his prime and can't recruit, the guy is young at heart and could continue to coach for many, many more years to come - the guy lives and breath football. It still amazeses me how this very coach was able to recruit the talent he was able to, especially at the very inception of the program - Jared Allen probably being the biggest recruit. The talent he has been able to attract the past several years will soon be shown to the rest of the football world and they will see that this guy has not lost his touch, but only has gotten better with age.

If this guy is basing his evaluation of FAU on the USF game a few year back, then I want to play USF right now. I'm not even sure we would beat USF, but would give them a hell of a scare, like we did UCF.

And to make a comment like we have not dedicated to the growth of our Athletic department - soif the hiring of Doherty doesn't show how FAU dedication to growth of this program then I am missing something - The program has grown every year from it's inception and continue to grow at a phenomental rate.

He talks about doing research, looks like he needs to do some himself before before making statements like he did.

Back to the top

The dedication that USF has for thier program let their basketball coach go and coach Virginia Tech last year,... and have we ever heard anything about their baseball team?
Back to the top

That entire post has no credibility! The main giveaway: A USF fan praising UCF :o
Back to the top

Just responding from an objective standpoint. This USF fan is dilusional if he says Coach Schnelly is past his prime. Now if he was talking about Coach Joe "Pa" Paterno @ Penn State, then I could understand. But Coach Schnelly has changed alot of skeptics minds and is no where near a slump. He has, at least IMHO, 5-8 years left of coaching in him and I think he will accomplish alot in that time frame. I give him the utmost respect and fear that he always has something up his sleeve when we play against you guys. If your QB Danny Embick and receivers can get on the same page relatively soon, then you guys can make alot noise in the upcoming years.
Back to the top

I think he may be afraid that will will surpass UCF & USF in football, not that it will be easy, but we do have a coach that will be driving us to do just that.

And to say he can't recruit ::)
Back to the top

Good call Arod I have to agree with you I think both programs are begining to get a little recognition and there are some who would rather not have that happen. Schnelly will be coaching for a little while longer for sure. The thing is he still has fun at what he's doing.
Back to the top

That guy must not have been paying attention in 2003 when FAU nearly beat UCF.
Back to the top

Maybe we can put USF or UCF on our schedule next year, and show them how past his prime Schnelly is. I'm sure they wouldn't mind scheduling a cupcake like us for the first few weeks. ::) :P ::)
Back to the top

Recruiting will continue to improve and this program will continue to grow. Anybody who thinks that UCF has a better program than FAU should rethink that statement. Maybe UCF and USF were better than FAU 2 or 3 years ago but FAU has quickly closed the gap. The only thing missing for FAU is an on-campus stadium. FAU will continue to surprise people over the next few years. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: