Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Doherty adds yet another coach

Add topic

Basketball gets more and more interesting, this is going to be an interesting couple of seasons not only for football but basketball as well. I think the days of FA-Who are about to come to and end.

Stafford Joins Doherty's Staff
Former Toledo assistant joins Owls.

June 15, 2005

BOCA RATON, FL – Florida Atlantic University men's basketball head coach Matt Doherty has announced the hiring of James Stafford, who joins the staff as an Assistant Coach. Stafford brings several years of collegiate and high school coaching experience to FAU. Most recently, he served in the same role with the University of Toledo.

"We are excited that James will be joining our basketball program," said Doherty. "He brings a wealth of experience and contacts to FAU. James is a terrific coach and person. He will represent our institution in a first-class manner. We welcome James and his family to Boca Raton."

At Toledo, Stafford helped guide the Rockets to back-to-back winning seasons and trips to the Mid-American Conference Tournament. The 2003-04 squad posted a 20-11 record, advanced to the MAC Tournament championship game, and received a bid to the NIT. Stafford has also been an assistant at Duquesne, Wisconsin, and Siena Heights University in Adrian, MI.

In addition to his collegiate experience, Stafford brings to the Owls an extensive and highly successful AAU coaching background. From 1996 to 2000, he was the head coach for Team Wisconsin and guided the team to a 124-25 record. He also led Team Detroit to the 1993-94 state title.

"I am very honored and excited to be a part of Coach Doherty's staff and the FAU family," said Stafford. "I believe the vision Coach Doherty shares is an excellent blueprint for a championship-caliber program. He will bring enthusiasm and championships to Boca Raton and will put out a product the fans, students, faculty, staff, as well as alumni will be proud of. I believe this is a great time to be part of FAU basketball, and I'm ready to commit myself any way for the success of the program."

A native of Detroit, MI, Stafford has coached several players who have gone on to play in the NBA. Some of those include Michael Finley, Reece Gaines, Jermaine Jackson, Maurice Taylor, Mike Dunleavy, and Mike Wilkes.

Stafford began his coaching career as an assistant at Siena Heights for the 1990-91 season. He then took the head coaching position at St. Mary's of Redford High School in Detroit from 1991-93.

Stafford played four years at Siena Heights where he earned a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice in 1991. He and his wife, Tracy, have three sons; Jalen (9), Darius (6), and Joshua (4).
Back to the top

You know what this article tells me?

That were building an f'en dome. Why would doherty, rex walters (who easily be a head coach) and a stud assistant coach from a legit school like toledo all leave to come to FAU? We've has one winning season in like 15 years. We have no history only misery. Our facilities suck and were in the ASUN, the only D1 conference in america not to have lines posted….. sadly we blow in basketball.

These coaches aren't trying to make us into the next St. Joes in some 5k stadium, there going to build a dome and make us a top 25 program before the football team is…..
Back to the top

Exit39 I have the same exact thoughts. These guys are serious about what they are getting ready to do and the attraction isn't just the beach. Build a powerhouse program for a shot at the national title. I still see a dome in 2007 just about the time for the afterburners to kick in. I really believe that FAU ATHLETICS are about to blast off
Back to the top

I dont care how they do it or where we play as long as we build a winning program that is well know. And this is our last year in the A-Sun, after that I believe all sports will be sunbelt.
Back to the top
Control functions: