Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Ouch-College Football News has..

…FAU picked dead last(119) even behind FIU!! Now I know FAU will take a serious tumble this year but I refuse to believe we will be worse than FIU. They will be wrong-I see FAU winning at least 2 or 3 games but heres what they wrote:

119. Florida Atlantic FAU Preview | Offense | Defense | Depth Chart | Further Analysis
The secondary is strong and the corners are fantastic leading what should be a decent defense. The offense is a concern with a small line and almost no proven playmakers among the skill positions. Making things worse is the schedule that doesn't have an Edward Waters, Northern Colorado or Illinois State on it. Don't expect miracles in the first season in D-I, but look for Howard Schnellenberger's team to make some serious Sun Belt noise if all the new young players come together early.
Relative strength: Linebacker Relative Weakness: Defensive line
Star of the team: LB Shomari Earls, Sr. Key game: Sept. 24 vs. UL Monroe

Back to the top

that blows.
Back to the top

I had a feeling we were going to have the Edward Waters game rubbed in our face. I wish people would realize that was a 12th game. We had a winning season without it. I don't know the whole story behind it, but the way it was presented, Edward Waters needed games to play so Howard helped out.
Illinois State is NOT a push-over div 1AA school. If I'm not mistaken, weren't they ranked the year FAU beat them in Bloomington?
I was at that game by the way. I live an hour from Bloomington IL. That year, ISU had 15 Florida players on the roster. It was cold that afternoon. My wife (an ISU grad) froze her #@** off.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I can see why we are at the bottom, the consensus appears to be we lost a lot of players, we are depleted and will be inexperience. The fact is we have a great deal of talent, but do lack experience in some key position, mostly on offense. The DL and OL are young, but there is something that can't be captured on paper and that is the heart and desire of these kids.

One way to look at being at the bottom, only one way to go and that's up, so if we finish anything but last we have ourselves a successful season ;) This will be a very tough season and if the kids handle it the same manor as our 2-9 we will be fine.
Back to the top

Your are correct Bytor a lot of games have been won with heart and desire. The back breaker regardless of heart and desire is mistakes and poor coaching. Coaching should not be a problem and if the mistakes are minor and few this team should fair pretty good. This team has the heart and the desire which for the most part is a carry over from the original group and of course the key - Schnelly and his staff. He instills that desire and drive that make these kids play and want to win.

This is probably as big a test this coming year as was the very first year to see how big a heart this team really has and bytor you are right it can't be captured on paper.
Back to the top

I'm not going to worry much about the College Football News analysis. I am not certain about that publication's methodology, but a number of them use a ratings grid weighted to emphasize factors that they see as most important. For example, this one probably is weighted to show a large percentage of graduating seniors as a strong negative. Further, it probably also assigns a weight to the number of experienced returning starters. Some – probably including this one – weigh those 'hard' facts much more heavily than they do some of the intangibles, such as those mentioned in a previous post (heart, desire, coaching, etc.). In the end, of course, pre-season projections are nothing more than that – projections. But if the Owls end the year as the bottom team in IA, I'll be the most surprised football fan in America. In fact, if they end up in the bottom half of the Sun Belt, I'll be pretty surprised. True, no coach can 'teach' experience; it has to be earned. But if any coaches can come close, I'll lay my money in Boca.
Back to the top

Amen to that one grayowl
Back to the top

wow grayowl, nicely put, we should get you to start recruiting out in your neck of the woods! I'm sure there are some good players you can steal from the Buffalos!
Back to the top

The funny thing about those Index(S) are some are very close to the money. Pinkos can be very scary with his predictions. There's another person,The LAZ Index, who also does college and high school sports. Just for fun, I should look him up and see what he thinks about our chances.
Back to the top
Control functions: