Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Students Not Sports-Oriented?

Why all the nay-sayers regarding the FAU Football team and FAU becoming a better Division I school? Here's an article from a "Dennis Newman" nay-sayer to FAU's growth…

Sports fees

Dennis Newman
Deerfield Beach
Posted July 18 2005

Spending $1,650 in athletic fees is not an investment. Most students attending Florida Atlantic University are not sports-oriented. What was the average attendance at football games this past year? Having a Division 1 school benefits a small group at the expense of all.

That rare athlete, after 14 or 16 years of education, is able to sign his name to a sports contract and instantly receive more money than the average student will earn in 10 to 20 years. Why not invest the $1,650 and start funding academic chairs?

Not all schools need to be a Florida State University or the University of Florida or the University of Miami. There is a need for smaller schools.

Bigger is not always better.
……………………………………………………………..
……………………………………………………………..
How can all these "Dennis Newman" people not take into account the amazing accomplishments of the FAU Football Team all done in such a short amount of time? Where's the perspective? And Newman mentions that "Having a Division 1 school benefits a small group at the expense of all." I don't think so - it has been proven that some of the leading universities in the nation for research have some of the best sports teams as well. So, the benefit is shared by all who attend the school as the reputation of the university grows! "There is a need for smaller schools." and "Bigger is not always better." While these statements may be true … if FAU is doing well in their journey - shattering records through leaps and bounds and being guided by the guru Schnellenberger then let them be all that they can be! Don't cop out saying "Well small schools are needed too" That's like saying "Well bums are needed too … I have the skills to be a rocket scientist but bums are needed!" ;D
Back to the top

Dennis Newman either doesn't like football or he graduated from a college that has an established football program and is "hating" on us because of our rapid success.
Back to the top

very annoying, we have the attendence of a marlins game and there trying so hard to keep them here but there trying to keep us down. Bummer, I hate how all the criticism comes from those who have never attended FAU.
Back to the top

Just look at the donations the 5yrs before the program was announced and the 5yrs since the football program was announced (or compare pictures of the campus). You need the recognition that sport teams bring, to help better the academic programs.
Back to the top

nobody wants to admit that. probably the most intelligent comment I've read yet.
Back to the top

You guys are right on the money, at least as far as I am concerned. Until the football announcement, I had been (for years) marking mailings from FAU to me 'Addressee Unknown' and having them returned to Boca. In the pre-football days, I almost never ran into anyone who had even heard of FAU (I lived in California and Colorado, primarily). Now, a lot of people have. Even today, the New York Times story about Louisville mentioned Coach Schnellenberger and his key role with the Cardinals. It identified him, of course, as the coach at FAU. This is great attention for the program – and the university.
Back to the top

And look how much the student demographic has changed in the last 5-10 years. "Real" college students, from out of town, are attending FAU moreso now than back then but all of the writers STILL love dubbing us a "commuter school". The football team is only going to attract more interest to the university and bring in more applications every year, of people that WILL go to the games. The on campus stadium will help a ton with student attendence, however I think that because a large majority of FAU Alumni originally attended because of the commuter aspect, they weren't that interested in the "college experience", they really don't care about the team now. FAU's alumni base is largely made up of "commuter alumni" that don't really care either way about a team. As more traditional college students attend the university more traditional, season ticket holding, booster club membering, die hard alumni will come out of the university and our problems will be solved! (well, at least this problem, something else will come up I'm sure)
Back to the top

Grayowl I can relate to the fact of looking every year to see if any headway is being made for football. Teembear makes a very important point that the media and many others miss, which is when your school becomes "Traditional" it will grow like a weed and football (like it or not) has the glitter and glue that brings the excitement to the students, Alum and Fans.
Back to the top

All very good points, I to have notice more students attending FAU from afar - Boston, Conn. just to name a few. Things are changing and unfortunetely, permanate changes do take time for a transformation this big - we have the right leadership in place with a vision for a bright future for the university.

The national exposure the football team brings has been a huge benefit, this helps with posible grants that may have gone to the other state schools instead. Let's not forget that the baseball team has gotten us some national exposure as well, but football did bring more recognition to the university. Having a Schnellenberger and now Doherty is a major boost that shows the commitment level this university administration has to make this a top university not only in athletics but academics.
Back to the top
Control functions: